PDA

View Full Version : Shootin Pool

@Bad465EX
02-22-2006, 08:20 PM
How many peope on here play pool,either on pool leagues or just in the pub. what kind of stick you shoot with . and do you have any good stories.. i play probobly 2-3 times a week, i shoot with a CUETEC and a KEEVER. the keever was my dads its old but its still good the cuetec is like new..

knighttime
02-22-2006, 08:34 PM
i play every monday night in a pub as you call it. its a league that goes on for months and months and months, lol. i have a viking stick with a predator shaft with an elk master tip.

yeah i have stories but im not sure i want to tell em, lol:eek2:

How many times have you knocked in the eight ball on the break in your career?

ive done it about 4 or 5 times:scary:

MOFO
02-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
i play every monday night in a pub as you call it. its a league that goes on for months and months and months, lol. i have a viking stick with a predator shaft with an elk master tip.

yeah i have stories but im not sure i want to tell em, lol:eek2:

How many times have you knocked in the eight ball on the break in your career?

ive done it about 4 or 5 times:scary:

I've shot this guy before... :o

I dont shoot nearly as much as I used to. I used to shoot pool in the "pub" atleast 4-5 times a week.

I'm currently using a Meucci cue (18oz) with an Elk Master tip.

Mike, lets hear about some of those stories... :devil: :devil: :devil:

lghickman21
02-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Three piece McDermott.

dangle
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
I bought a pool table about 2 years back for our game room. All i've ever shot with was my 18oz house stick... I'm kind of in the market for a new stick since I'll be turning 21 this summer and there's a pub with REALLY nice tables close to were I live.... I've ran the table twice on 8-ball but i've never hit the 8 in off the break...

Mike

Jakeyracer
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
i shoot pool every saturday i have a 19 oz Minnesota Fats i am fvkin awesum at pool i have almost mastered english but now i do a lot of trick shots

knighttime
02-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Jakeyracer
i shoot pool every saturday i have a 19 oz Minnesota Fats i am fvkin awesum at pool i have almost mastered english but now i do a lot of trick shots

its good to be confident, but be careful not to overdue it.:eek2:

underpowered
02-23-2006, 06:15 AM
i play every tues. and thurs. at school. i am by no means great, be do tend to win a few games when i play. i use whatever POS cues shool has or my bros. stick he bought from walmart. i dont need to get a serious cue because i just do it for fun.

BlazingYamahaYz
02-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Did anyone else see that video I think on ebaumsworld with that young kid shooting trick shots? That was pretty sick! I love playing pool but haven't in quite a while...and I'm not good at it by any means:D

wilkin250r
02-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Ain't that the game with all them colored balls on the table? Never played before in my life.

Scott-300ex
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
This happened before, about Wilkin sayin he never heard/played the game of pool in another billiard thread and we were all like, then wuts up with your avatar.

I used to play whenever I could, then we finally got a table and I played everyday for like 2 months. Now I play whenever I can too, with friends, at their or my house. And we have "Teen Room" at church every Wednesday night and so we play there.

I'm pretty good, but I'm never always good, Some days if I'm off, then I'm off. With kids my age and my friends I usually win, unless I scratch off the break which has happened to many times.

I love how all these kids bring in their own sticks and fancy cases and act like they are all good, then I just grab a stick from the corner and kill them. LoL!

I just use wutever stick I can find but it HAS TO HAVE a solid feel, if the tip is loose or the threads are loose or anything is loose on it and not tight and a 1 piece solid feeling stick, I can't use it.

I also prefer 18oz.

underpowered
02-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ain't that the game with all them colored balls on the table? Never played before in my life.

yup, that be the game:rolleyes:

we had a thread on this a while back and if i remember correctly you were a pretty avid pool shark

Cody_300ex
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I play whenever I get the chance, Im not to good, but its fun to just play around with. Anybody Ever seen Poolhall Junkies?

honda400ex68b
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES: 8-BALL 4.8 8-BALL POCKETED ON THE BREAK
If the 8-ball is pocketed on the break, breaker may ask for a re-rack or have the 8-ball spotted and continue shooting. If the breaker scratches while pocketing the 8-ball on the break, the incoming player has the option of a re-rack or having the 8-ball spotted and begin shooting with ball in hand behind the head string. http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

most bars play by this rule, but the BCA-Billiard Congress of America does not. i have done it a few times. i have a palmer cue, not made anymore, and a table in the basement.

dirt308
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM
I play every once in a while. I don't know what kind of stick I have its an old stick that my dad had when he used to play all the time. I just went on a college visit to wyotech in pa and the only thing to do their for fun is go to the pool hall.

Rico400
02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
i cant afford any viking cue or anything so i just use w/e they got down at the pool hall. i play about 1 or 2 times a week with acouple friends. just been playing for acouple months now so i dont really need a nice cue yet.

JOEX
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Rico400
i cant afford any viking cue or anything so i just use w/e they got down at the pool hall. i play about 1 or 2 times a week with acouple friends. just been playing for acouple months now so i dont really need a nice cue yet.
There's something to be said about someone who can kick arse with a bar stick;)

I used to play a little pool but I like darts better:)

knighttime
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Rico400

you can play real well with a one-piece pool hall cue. the fact that they are one piece gives you good action. if you ever want to get a good stick that wont break the bank, get a graphite one.

Rico400
02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
alright, ive been thinking about getting one sometime soon. but seems like the money always fades off into some other thing "i gotta have" lol

wilkin250r
02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Interesting trivia for you guys that don't know. This is contradictory to most "house" rules.

In official rules, pocketing the 8-ball on the break is not an automatic win, just as honda400ex68b posted. Scratching on the break is not an automatic loss.

Scratching while shooting the 8-ball is not an automatic loss if the 8-ball is still on the table. The only time a scratch on the 8-ball is an automatic loss is if the 8-ball also goes in a pocket.

If a player scratches during normal play, his opponent has ball in hand and can place the cue ball ANYWHERE on the table. The only time it must be played from the kitchen is if a player scratches on the break.

Uh, er, I mean, not that I would know or anything. I've never played the game before in my life. :uhoh:

knighttime
02-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Interesting trivia for you guys that don't know. This is contradictory to most "house" rules.

In official rules, pocketing the 8-ball on the break is not an automatic win, just as honda400ex68b posted. Scratching on the break is not an automatic loss.

Scratching while shooting the 8-ball is not an automatic loss if the 8-ball is still on the table. The only time a scratch on the 8-ball is an automatic loss is if the 8-ball also goes in a pocket.

If a player scratches during normal play, his opponent has ball in hand and can place the cue ball ANYWHERE on the table. The only time it must be played from the kitchen is if a player scratches on the break.

Uh, er, I mean, not that I would know or anything. I've never played the game before in my life. :uhoh:

i like the rules you mention above. ive never been in any bar that had rules like that though. it seems like pool rules vary. when i was living in Erie, PA, if you put the 8 in on the break you won, but if you put in the cue ball on the break you lost.

Also in Erie lets say its your turn to play on the table, you actually break as the challenger.

Around here in butler and pittsburgh you win when you sink the 8 ball. You lose if you scratch trying to make the 8 ball. There is no ball in hand, and you can only have the cue in the breaking area when your opponet scratches.

:huh

02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
im good at this game when im under the influence

MOFO
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
The only time a scratch on the 8-ball is an automatic loss is if the 8-ball also goes in a pocket.

...I have done this before... :eek:

For the record, I have made the 8 off the break probably 4-5 times in my life... once during a league game years ago. Thats the best...when you have a large group of people watching. :D

I have heard those rules before. I've played in alot of bars and different leagues... I've yet to see someone enforce those rules. I'm not doubting they exist, however very few go by them.

MOFO
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
im good at this game when im under the influence

I generally need atleast 3-4 beers before my best game comes out. I've always been like that - it must relax me a bit.

MOFO
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
There is no ball in hand, and you can only have the cue in the breaking area when your opponet scratches.

:huh

I played one tournament that used this rule. It totally threw my game out of wack. When you have to think about making contact with your ball no matter what or your opponent gets ball in hand - its a whole new game. Changes your entire way of thinking.

This was the 8 ball tournament that ended up in Vegas if you won all the way....your last game was against that hot asian chick... for some reason I cant think of her name right now...

dangle
02-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I played one tournament that used this rule. It totally threw my game out of wack. When you have to think about making contact with your ball no matter what or your opponent gets ball in hand - its a whole new game. Changes your entire way of thinking.

This was the 8 ball tournament that ended up in Vegas if you won all the way....your last game was against that hot asian chick... for some reason I cant think of her name right now...

Jeanette Lee....

Mike

underpowered
02-24-2006, 01:55 PM
i play by "School Rules"

-8 on break is auto win
-any time you scratch ball must be placed in the kitchen
-scratch on 8 is auto loss anytime
-must call all shots, combos, ect..
-must call ball either clean or dirty
-scratch on break is not a loss unless the 8 drops as well
-Tables suck so if a ball goes in and out of a pocket and was clearly in at one point, opponent has option to either drop the ball or spot it
-loser always racks, winner has choice of cues (most suck BTW)
-In an Extreme game only banks or combos (rails are horrible)
-winner keeps table until a loss(or has to go to class)

not official by any means, but there arent too many "sharks" there either, most are about myy level which is average.

wilkin250r
02-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by MOFO

It certainly changes the way you approach those long bank shots, and those "Hope and a Prayer" shots, doesn't it. If you don't hit your target ball, your opponent gets the ball in hand.

In reality, I've only seen these rules enforced in official tournaments. Even most "bar" tournaments and leagues don't play by these rules. Most play by the rules that underpowered posted, with one exception. I've seen about 50/50 whether a scratch on the break is an automatic loss or not.

Another one. In official tournament play, the table still open after the break, even if the shooter made a ball. Making a ball on the break only means the shooter gets to shoot again. The shooter must actually pocket a target ball (after the break) before solids or stripes is officially assigned.

Scott-300ex
02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
MOFO, where did you break from when you made the 8 ball in?

And where did you aim?

And Wilkin, where did you find these official rules?

I played in the kitchen all my life then my 2 friends saw real tournaments and found out it was ball in hand.

wilkin250r
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
And Wilkin, where did you find these official rules?

I learned them by playing.

Uh, I mean, I've never played before in my life. But if you want to play $20 a game, I'll go for it. I don't mind losing, as long as I'm having fun. Who knows, I might get lucky and win once or twice. :cool:

(I'm sure you could search the web and find official rules.)

gumby2461
02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
pools great actully goin to a freinds tonite to chill and drink and play some pool and poker

knighttime
02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I learned them by playing.

Uh, I mean, I've never played before in my life. But if you want to play $20 a game, I'll go for it. I don't mind losing, as long as I'm having fun. Who knows, I might get lucky and win once or twice. :cool:

(I'm sure you could search the web and find official rules.)

sounds like a setup, especially from someone who is from Nevada (for you dummies out there, Nevada is where LAS VEGAS is)

:eek2:

bama400ex
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
i use a house cue, eight ball sucks rack me up a game of 9 ball *****.

bulkdriverlp
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
i have played on a league for 5 years a few years ago, i had a KASSON in my house for a couple years, then baby came had to get rid of it. i used to use a muecci (sp) 18oz. used to be pretty decent at the game. did a couple succesfull jumpshots, (no not scooping the ball either, hitting down on it.) could masse" alright, i could go around another ball and knock one in if it was near the pocket. lol. was a fun game, i recomemd it to anybody. lot of fun

Scott-300ex
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I played for like 2 hours last Sunday and won about 3/4's of the games, and then at my friends house, I went to church on Sunday and played my friends and won 3 out of 4.

Practice helps!

yellowex26
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
We play at the local pool hall the exact sane rules that wilkin plays