PDA

View Full Version : let off throttle, keeps revving

maxamillion
02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
If I rev up my 426ex and then let off, the revs stay up in the rpm's as if my thumb was still on the throttle. The throttle is NOT sticking. I took the black plastic piece off the side of the carb and the slide returns to its normal position but the motor is still revving, eventually it quits revving on its own. Like I said I dont think it has anything to do with the thumb throttle/cable/slide.
What else could it be?

Pappy
02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
check for an air leak near the airboot

bradley300
02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
is it a brand new motor? i had a brand new motor and never had a chance to double check the jetting. the pilot ended up being way lean which caused heat. this heated up the sparkplug enuff to detonate the air'/feul mix. so even with no throttle the motr revved to the moon. turn your key off and see if it still runs, if it does, then you know the problem. my quad would run with the key off, killswitch pulled and the spark plug wite disconnected

maxamillion
02-23-2006, 04:44 AM
I bought the quad with about 10 hours on the high comp 426. It also has hotcam stage 2, port and polish, rev box, K&N filter w/ no lid, choke removed on stock carb. It has no key, but when I pull the kill switch, it shuts off w/ no problem. I havent checked the jetting yet because there is no hesitation or backfiring. Ill check the air leak near the boot soon. By the way, I can't get it to idle either, idono if this has anything to do with the problem.
thanks

bwamos
02-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Aye, definatly check for air leaks. Text book air leak symptoms.

bradley300
02-23-2006, 08:06 AM
i'll agree with the others, if the key will turn it off, its not the same problem i had so an air leak is about all you have left

Rico
02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Replace the throttle cable if you never have, they do wear out.

Take off the black plastic cover on the side of the carb and hose everything down with WD-40. Take off the throttle housing cover and spray everything down with wd-40 then turn upside down to drain out excess.

This will fix the problem, if not then go see an exorcist..

maxamillion
02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
I just tore into it further and checked out the jetting and looked for leaks. The 426ex has a 160m (keihen) and 40 pilot which is exactly how my 406ex is jetted. When I went to remove the pilot jet, I noticed it was just barely finger tight. I hadnt even applied pressure with the flat head screwdriver and the pilot was already loosening. Could this have anything to do with the quad not idleing and or revving after I let off the throttle. Im still in the process of checking for leaks in the boot.

thanks

jordan_m6
02-25-2006, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rico
[B]Replace the throttle cable if you never have, they do wear out.

im with him check to see if throttle is sticking