PDA

View Full Version : cooked clutch cable

DAVE14
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I was ridin today & my throttle cable was stickin a bit all of a sudden ,making the ride kind of interesting & I pulled over & tried to work it free but it didnt drop back to idle & the worst part is my header pipe was glowin red & cooked my clutch cable stuck solid due to the damn heat ,the last one broke a couple of years ago but I never baked a good one before all of a sudden is there a better aftermarket cable available or should you wrap it in tin foil or what ? any ideas

NacsMXer
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
If your clutch cable is melting from the header heat then that means it is much too close to it. You need to bend that little loop bracket more to clear the headers or use zip ties to keep that cable where it needs to be.

If you need to, you can buy a length of steel braided hose and run the cable inside it to insulate it from the heat. This is not necessary though if you bend that bracket out more.

DAVE14
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
thanks for the idea i think i will put something around it

NacsMXer
02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah no problem, but try bending that bracket i'm talking about first. It's a little black wire loop coming off the front engine mount on the right side. Because if you just leave it and put something around the cable, it's just going to be closer to the headers than it was to begin with know what I mean? Ideally, you could bend the bracket to clear the cable and use something around the cable to shield it as well. Headers come in all shapes and bends so you just have to monkey with that little bracket until you achieve the proper clearance.

Rip_Tear
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Umm, your header should not be glowing red... Also you first say your throttle cable was sticking? Or was that a typo?

DAVE14
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
yeah my throttle stuck a little bit ,I pulled over & tried to free it up a little & it wasnt sitting for more than a minute or so & I noticed my red head pipe ,which I never seen before on this thing since I owned it new in 02 & shut her down to cool off & my clutch cable also got baked all of a sudden from working well to stuck solid & I lube everything quite a bit its been a little while for the throttle cable but I lube the clutch cable often it just simply got cooked fast ,makes me question my jetting if its lean I run an open box with a k&n but in the spring like muddy conditions we have right now Ide like to put the lid on for a while but it runs like crap with it on I would guess because its too rich for the lid but i never eer saw my pipe glow before & it was about -2 out today

Eddiesanders250
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
he said his throttle cable was sticking so he tried to fix it but while doing that the CLUTCH cable touched the header pipe. at first i was a little confused too.

DAVE14
02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
the clutch cable did not touch header & isnt too close to it its in the stock wire loop as its always been & when I changed the cable a couple of years ago it was broken not stuck ,Ive never had a heat problem before or a glowing header especially after a short ride

300ex mxracer
02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
you could use some heat wrap stuff. it looks like aluminum foil tape- we use it on our race car on the wires around the turbo

Flyin-Low
02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
i couldnt get my clutch cable to stay away from my header so instead of putting it through the middle i routed mine around the side to its away from all the heat :macho :D

works great!

02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I guess a 300ex clutch cable is a bit longer, allowing you to re rout it not close to the exaust.. may want to give that a try.