PDA

View Full Version : electrical... need help. buzzing

quader400
02-22-2006, 03:40 PM
my buddies quad wont start. its not doing anything except making like a buzzing sound from this cylender that connects to the positive of the battery? what could it be

NacsMXer
02-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Jake that cylinder thing is the solenoid which relays power from the battery to the starter. There's a fuse attached to it or somewhere around it, so check to see if it's blown. Also make sure the battery is fully charged, if it is low, the solenoid will make a noise. If all else fails, try swapping the batteries. If it still makes the noise, then you know it's the solenoid.

quader400
02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks chris... yea im working on franks quad tryiing to get it running and he has not even touched the thing in like two years... i had a battery tendor hooked up to the battery and it was charging... and the fuse is not blown... any clue on a price for the solenoid? thanks

Rico
02-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Had it happen many times and it was always the ground...;)

quader400
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
if its the ground what do i do? do i need to disconnect it and just clean the connections? thanks

Rico
02-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by quader400
if its the ground what do i do? do i need to disconnect it and just clean the connections? thanks

Yes. Both ends fo the ground wire. pull the fuse before doing this.

quader400
02-23-2006, 03:36 PM
ok went back to it today and now the buzzing is gone but still wont start... pulled the plug really black guessing it was fouled. i sandpapered it a little and put new gas in and still not starting.? do i need a new plug or can sandpaper do the trick? thanks

quader400
02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
also before i cleaned the plug off the throttle was poping back at me when i would push the gas? what does that mean thanks for any help...

honda460ex
03-02-2006, 01:27 AM
You would have to explain yourself a little better in order for me to help you on that last question. But man, I say your problem is almost a guarantee ground problem as well. Trick is if you want to check the solenoid take a wire and jump it from the positive side to the dead side. If the bike cranks without blowing a fuse, I'm saying that yes it is your solenoid. Now, if it still does nothing or blows the fuse when you try that, then I'm saying ground for sure. Common problem from time to time. Lol, mine grounded out once on a motocross track and caused me to wreck on a small double. That sucked!

quader400
03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Also make sure the battery is fully charged, if it is low, the solenoid will make a noise. If all else fails, try swapping the batteries.

This is all that was wrong