PDA

View Full Version : yee haw lets race some mowers!

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Anybody else into that? lol, me and my friend have a junk craftsman hydro tranny 16 horse mower we're making a wheelie machine racin mower. So far we took the deck off...and we're fabbing up a new front end for it cuz we bent the hell out of the axle. Then, we might lower it a lil, change the pulleys some for more speed, or torque. Anybody else mess around with this stuff?

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 03:01 PM
git'r duun...Dont all jump at once now.

hotrodbelair
02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
i got a old dynemark i plan on making go faster. friend of mine gots a old lawnmower switched the pulleys on he got it topped out at 27 goin along side a car down the road. i got a 17 horse motor i want to stick in mine.

partyboy300ex
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
I say those flat track mowers on tv they said they go like 60 they were sweet

coolex
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
hers my wheelie monster my freind changed the pullys n went 47 down a main road and iv had one go 43 but this one was geared down for weelies i am working on raisning it 3 feet but i need a pully the rear end is already raised just i need to weld it on

coolex
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
and a burn out

coolex
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
and another

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
hahaha That's awesome. We wanna change the pulleys up, but it's a pain because the pulleys, at least the motor pulley..Has a key way on the shaft, so I have to buy new pulleys with that same keyway. i wanna get a Big one, and a small one for the front, so I can switch between wheelies and speed, same with the rear. Is your tranny hydro or manual? I love the hydro. Man you should see some of the stuff we ride through in the woods. It's awesome, I do rockcwralwing and stuff, haha, I'm such a hick.

Titanium
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
i don't have any pics right now but i topped my racin lawn mower out at 63 nex to a tuck and i'm not sayin this to sound better than everybody either. i'll get some pics of it. one of my friends had there's up to 75 tho he made his own blower out of a vaccum and som hose. and he put a high performance cam in it too. he was runnin a 2 inch pulley in the rear (transmission) and a 6 inch pully in hte front (motor). and it could still do wheelies.

400exrules
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
u might want to fab up some sort of wheelie bar so you dont flip over backwards........put it far enough so you can still get to the balance point, but yet not flip over

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
well ours is a hydro static tranny..so if it's about to flip, just keep your hand on the tranny lever th e whole time, if your about to flip, just move it back a bit and it'll drop it down

About that kids home made blower, do you have anymore info on it? like how exactly he did it?

400exrules
02-22-2006, 06:03 PM
what about takin the govener off of it....will that harm the engine?

02-22-2006, 06:11 PM
the the stock tractor drive train use a torque converter thingy, like a snowmobile? or is it just one gear. if it doesnt have one, put one on and it will be way better.

since it is a sh1tter progject, and you can screw around with it, try to build a super charger... i've heard of people making them out of small air compressors, but you have to figure it all out so you're getting the right amount of air.

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125

About that kids home made blower, do you have anymore info on it? like how exactly he did it?

Titanium could answer this probably a little better, but I knew the kid who had the blower on his mower... I think what he did was just take a 12v vaccum motor, and reversed the charge so it was blowing, then just use hoses to take the air charge from the air box to the carb. Just fab up monts for everything and do what you want!

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
what about takin the govener off of it....will that harm the engine?

Everybody who does this pretty much takes the govener off... It will not harm the engine.... IF you don't run the rpm's up too high. You can get a little extra rpm and power out of the motor... But the old briggs&stratton motors do not rap tight at all. So if you took the govener off you just have to be carefull. Good Luck!:macho

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
hmm..I may have to try that blower Idea. I cant wait to mess around with this thing more. Anyobyd ever tried welding some of the gears in the tranny to make it so the rear is locked, so both wheels turn at the same speed?

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
hmm..I may have to try that blower Idea. I cant wait to mess around with this thing more. Anyobyd ever tried welding some of the gears in the tranny to make it so the rear is locked, so both wheels turn at the same speed?

I thought the rear ends on mowers were already locked....:confused:

I may be wrong...

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
nope..not on any I've ridden..Both of my friends are just the wheel with the least amount of traction spins...so it's kinda a pain if your out in the woods or osmethin nad hit some mud or osmethin.

Titanium
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
the newer lawn mowers such as ur hydro stat don't have a locked rear end but ur older lawn mowers do like mine.

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
the newer lawn mowers such as ur hydro stat don't have a locked rear end but ur older lawn mowers do like mine.

That type was what I was going off of...

coolex
02-22-2006, 06:37 PM
i have a couple of movies of me wellie mine but i cnt fiogure out how to get it on the site

pastfast125
well my friends one mower is some like 20 somethin yr old cub cadet 3 speed and it doesnt have a locked rear either..but anyway, do you think I could weld some gears to make it locked?

ugottabayou
Heres a question for my information too..

If it is hydrostat, and you have to change the pulley, won't the hydro run at a higher pressure? And if so what is the limit for psi in the hydro unit? I'm curious.

Titanium
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
well my friends one mower is some like 20 somethin yr old cub cadet 3 speed and it doesnt have a locked rear either..but anyway, do you think I could weld some gears to make it locked?

You could try. but one thing i was thinkin about is how are u gonna mess with th gear ratio's in that hydrostat. i'm not sure if it can be done. the racin lawn mower guru that had the 75 mph lawn mower told me to stay away from hydro stats cus of that issue.

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:41 PM

I'm sure u could figure somethin out....

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not exactly sur eon how a hydro tranny works, can somebody fill me in?

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not exactly sur eon how a hydro tranny works, can somebody fill me in?

In short, from what I know, It uses hydraulic fluid pressure to turn the gears. Different pulleys - higher/lower psi.

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I just talked to my friend, and he said he's talked to a lot of people who have used a hydro tranny and changed gears with no problems:confused:

coolex
02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
y r u buyin pullys or r u not in a hick town like me

i have 2 mowers and 3 seperate lawn mower engines and there all mine and my parents have one and my brother has one all my freinds have them and they r always at the dump so its pretty sick to live in a hick town well sorta:ermm:

ugottabayou
02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I just talked to my friend, and he said he's talked to a lot of people who have used a hydro tranny and changed gears with no problems:confused:

As long as the components hold up to the higher psi, you should be on your way;)

Titanium
02-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ugottabayou
As long as the components hold up to the higher psi, you should be on your way;)

the problem is tho like ugottabayou is sayin is that these components are not made to withstand any more psi than they were made for so it really shorten the life span of the tranny. maybe u should think about swappin axle's out with an older tranny. that would really broaden ur horizons. specially with that fairly big motor u got.

wheeltrax
02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
some pics from an event here...

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by coolex
y r u buyin pullys or r u not in a hick town like me

i have 2 mowers and 3 seperate lawn mower engines and there all mine and my parents have one and my brother has one all my freinds have them and they r always at the dump so its pretty sick to live in a hick town well sorta:ermm:

What do you mean why am I buying pulleys? Need a special kind of pully for the output shaft on the motor, as it has a keyway on it, and the pully needs to match that, and we dont have any laying around tha tmatch that

wheeltrax
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
more

wheeltrax
02-22-2006, 08:32 PM
another

wheeltrax
02-22-2006, 08:33 PM

440ex kid
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
A few of my buddies are into that stuff. Check this out

www.xtremetractorteam.com