PDA

View Full Version : Broken chain adjuster

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 10:08 AM
How do I remove the chain adjuster bolt. See photos...

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 10:09 AM
the bolt broke off for some reason during a race...

redrunner
02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Typical problem from what I have read for the 03's. You see all the dirt packed in around the threads, that is what has cause the fatiuge of the head as you are adjusting it. It jams up the motion and you basically screw the head off the bolt. I think youo will have to remove the axle from the housing and try soaking with the penatrating oil and vise grip it and a little heat not to much to damage the bearings.
It definetly is a poor design maybe find a used 05 carrier and back plate? They are slightly better.

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 01:24 PM
thanks will try that...
this is infact a '05 KFX...

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
how is this bolt connected to the housing? threaded, smooth shaft? i.e. can i just twist/turn it out with a vise?

STF
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
on my friends z4 it waz threaded, he had to replace his hole rear end and we took it all apart just cause it waz warped as far as i know it threaded but tht mght of chnged very doubtful, best of luck

UbeenSmoked
02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
u can try the vise grips first if that dosnt work, drill a hole in the middle of the bolt and take a hex head socket and pound that into the hole, then try backing it out, should work thats wut i do if i were to break bolts, works every time, hope this helps

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
thanks
dont have all the tools. might try and remove the axcle and take it to an engineering shop...

redrunner
02-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
Typical problem from what I have read for the 03's. You see all the dirt packed in around the threads, that is what has cause the fatiuge of the head as you are adjusting it. It jams up the motion and you basically screw the head off the bolt. I think youo will have to remove the axle from the housing and try soaking with the penatrating oil and vise grip it and a little heat not to much to damage the bearings.
It definetly is a poor design maybe find a used 05 carrier and back plate? They are slightly better.

Duh me....
I'm looking at that and saying it was the old style...

but anyway standard machine tool practice here...penatrating oil, heat, vise grips(doubt an easy out will work here) and a lot of patience. The problem is the steel bolt binding/ripping up the internal aluminum threads. Try and flush out as much crud as possible each little movement along with low heat to break it up.

ScooterBike
02-23-2006, 06:28 AM
I have started drilling it out. probibly not the best way...

KILLSWITCHngage
02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I had the same problem. I would recomend taking it to a bike shop and having them do it. They took mine to a machinist and had it machined out and new OEM adjuster and bolts put in it, cost me bout 90 bucks. It was worth it for me.

ScooterBike
02-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Got it fixed. Drilled a hole and used a hex head and just backed it out. could not find a replacement stud anywhere so had to get 1 machined.

For future ref. its a 12mm stud, 1.25 thread, 80mm long.:D