PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't my 300ex start?

countypark
07-17-2002, 07:49 PM
I have no power.
Checked the fuse.
But nothing, no lights, no starter, nothing.

Any ideas?

This is on a 2001 300EX

L.Vegas400
07-17-2002, 07:53 PM
start at the source, the battery. check the connections, and if it is charged.

Ex'r Marlin
07-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Kill switch in the "ON" position?

Like L.Vegas400 said, check your electrical connections... Even the ones under your front plastic. Sometimes water or contaminents get into the connections. I use WD-40 to clean out the connection, and then reattach the connection.

Good luck!

07-17-2002, 08:53 PM
it sounds like a loose wire somewhere.

bigbadbrad
07-18-2002, 06:02 AM
same thing happened to me when i was riding alone in the back wood and i had to walk 2 miles home covered in mud and wait until the next day to pulll it out with my dads atv and go home and get the pick up and roll it into there and go home. it turns out it was just a kill switch that the owner before me put on when he moved the key as a security thing. check your wires check to see of the batery is charged check to see if the ground is groundrd good.

p.s. are your convesion kits ready yet? and how much are they?
thanks

countypark
07-18-2002, 10:06 AM
The shock mounts are available. 80 bucks plus shipping. I also have a set of stock 400ex shocks for sale 75 plus shipping.

email me at countyparkracing@hotmail.com

I have checked all of the things you guys mentioned.

The quad has absolutely no power going to the starter relay. No lights either.

My guess is there is a broke wire cause the guy pressure washed the machine before this came up.

My quad was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the main harness connector. Thats where i am heading tonight.

mikeman828
07-19-2002, 04:18 AM
I had a similar problem with mine...

Spent days on it checking all wiring, ended up bringing it
to the dealer. I had a bad battery ground.. they scraped down any corrosion where the ground attaches to the frame and re-connected the wire. Pretty simple fix for them.... pretty expensive
for me!!!

Try that :D

countypark
07-19-2002, 06:28 AM
Fixed the quad last night. Traced the problem to the main harness connector. It is a gray connector located up under the frame. Very poor design. My 94 had the same problem and I eliminated the connector. The little terminals inside the connector corrode and break off.

Sportrax 400EX
07-19-2002, 09:10 AM
What did you end up doing?

Sounds like the best bet is to get some shrink wrap, solder the wires so it's solid and use the shrink wrap to keep it water proof. Sucks that you have to do that though. Should be weather proof from the factory.

MichaelS693
07-19-2002, 04:44 PM
maybe the relay the lile black thing that has the two wires connectin to it