PDA

View Full Version : +2+0 or +2+1 arms

RedRaider
02-21-2006, 10:15 PM
What are the pros and cons of +2+1 over just regular +2. I've never had the +2 forward a-arms and i'm getting ready to buy some and wanted to know if there was any differences in how it would handle.

MAD450r
02-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Adding an inch to my wheel base made my front end stay planted better.

Jersey450R
02-22-2006, 06:08 AM
if you add an inch to the front end, definitly extend the swinger at least an inch. most extended swingarms for the 450R start at +1 1/4. this will keep the same geometry but give you an overall more stable ride.

RedRaider
02-25-2006, 08:48 PM
So should i just get the +2+0. I mainly trail ride and i want to keep the stock swinger. Does the +1 forward help keep the front end down any.

blake_mx_racer
02-25-2006, 09:19 PM
If you get +2+1 your front end will stay on the ground better like stated above. A extended swing arm will do the same. I noticed today when i rode coming out of the corners the front end lifted up. I just ordered +2+1 arms and plan on getting a extended swinger.

MAD450r
02-26-2006, 09:15 AM
since I mostly just trailride and play around jumping. I find the +1 forward helped me alot. To each is own I guess. In my opinion its worth doing +1 forward even if you plan to keep the stock swingarm.

kssandduner
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Has anyone else read this off the ishocks website:

"+1 forward arms
You want another? OK then, let’s talk about +1 forward arms. Listen people, bigger is not always better! A-arm manufacturing 101 says to first find the CG (center of gravity) of the machine. Check the squat and dive characteristics of the machine which include chain forces, calculate weight transfer, and then, only then, make a logical, calculated, decision based on sound engineering principles confirmed by rider input. We have found only one model of ATV that actually had improved performance with the tires moved forward. This is the Yamaha Banshee. Guess what, our Banshee arms are +1 forward. Try this little maneuver with the Honda TRX 450 and find yourself looped out right off the gate! If you see a manufacture with a complete line of +1 forward arms… ask why."

I've been wondering if there is any truth to their statements or not.

Joe

RedRaider
03-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I basically only trail ride and hill climb now. And i know for mx the +1 forward wouldn't be a good idea but what about for trail riding and hill climbs. I know it moves the center of weight back so when climbing a hill with it make the front end come up easier or stay down.

xsr_racing28c
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
it will keep your front end on the ground... i would say its better to go +1 forward for almost all applications.. I have +2+1 burgards for sale.... i think your the one who is interested right??

400exrider707
03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kssandduner
Has anyone else read this off the ishocks website:

"+1 forward arms
You want another? OK then, let’s talk about +1 forward arms. Listen people, bigger is not always better! A-arm manufacturing 101 says to first find the CG (center of gravity) of the machine. Check the squat and dive characteristics of the machine which include chain forces, calculate weight transfer, and then, only then, make a logical, calculated, decision based on sound engineering principles confirmed by rider input. We have found only one model of ATV that actually had improved performance with the tires moved forward. This is the Yamaha Banshee. Guess what, our Banshee arms are +1 forward. Try this little maneuver with the Honda TRX 450 and find yourself looped out right off the gate! If you see a manufacture with a complete line of +1 forward arms… ask why."

I've been wondering if there is any truth to their statements or not.

Joe

So far he is the only arm manufacturer to have a reason for or against it. His is against it on all models except the banshee. I've heard nothing to disprove this concept, and it seems to make sense to me.

Over-land 450r
03-01-2006, 07:05 PM
if you push your a-arms forward they will keep your front end down correct? cant steer if front wheels are of the ground.
i am up .5 and like it alot with +2 wider its corners so much better. but any dont you want your front end on the ground.

RedRaider
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes you do want your front end down. But with + forward arms it puts more of your weight on the rear wheels, which would make the front end lighter. But when the wheels are off the ground it's a different story. But i have never had + forward arms so thats why i wanted some input from people who have them.

CdaleXtreme
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
It is common knowledge that by moving the A-arms forward it moves the weight bias rearward.

Think about it like this. Say the Center of Gravity (from front to back) is located right at the toe of your brake pedal. That now becomes the fulcrum point. If you add more length to the front it acutally puts lets direct weight on the front wheels, by taking them further away from the Center of Gravity.

This was big when the 250R was the quad to have. Because its steering was heavy. This lightened the steering improving the handling. But todays modern chassis dont require the front wheels to be any further forward.

Got it?

Either Do your homework, or Buy the Gimicks! :macho

Over-land 450r
03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
kinda if you have more weight to the rear wheels you get more traction.

For Mx i dont have any problems.

MAD450r
03-02-2006, 05:43 AM
All I do know is when I first got my R [even before I piped it] I had a hard time keeping the front end down. Even when I sat on the tank or stood over the bars. I put my +2+1 arms on before I did my suspension and wow what a difference. Know when I want the frontend up I have to tug and rap the throttle to together. It wont wheelie on its own as it use too.
Then I did my suspension and it got even harder to wheelie it.

So yes +1 forward helped me out alot. I have yet to have any problems with them to.