PDA

View Full Version : help!!!660raptor or 400ex to beat kfx400

Honda_exrider
02-21-2006, 09:04 PM
someone please help me with this. i need to know which i should get, 660raptor or 400ex. i like to jump a lot and i kinda want to get into some track and jumpin! im not that concerned about top speed, but somewhere around 64-70 or up would be cool. oh yea i also want to be able to beat me cousin's kfx400.
any information will be greatly appreciated!

troutman561
02-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Raptor will beat the kfx no problem unless it is a worked engine(aslong as u mean beat it as in a drag race).. you will have to have a kinda of worked 400ex to beat on in a drag, but in trails the 400ex is much better than both......

CHEVYZ
02-22-2006, 04:49 AM
As said, the Raptor will beat it in the drag, but if you are looking for jumps and other various things like it, it itsn't going to do as well. The 400EX will be around those speeds and will do nicely, but I don't really think that you will take the KFX in a drag. With light modifications ( And because of the 400EX's down low power), I have actually beaten quite a few Raptors, though if the race is long enough, they sometimes have considerably more top and can get back no problem ( Depends on who you are racing, really). The KFX's also give me this same problem, though they almost always stay right there until the top and then pull away.... so, to beat either of them on the EX, it is gonna take some mods.

For you, the 400EX is the way to go IMO.

ballz2thewall
02-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Well this is funny but this past weekend I raced an 06' kfx with my 05' ex and he beat me once and I beat him once and we tied once, and we have both ridden together for a long time so the experience (sp) is pretty much the same!

Racing Rice
02-22-2006, 06:06 AM
If you want to beat a KFX/Z400 and you want to jump and ride track, get a 450!

For the track the 400EX is a better quad then the Raptor. The Raptor is faster, and is better on the trails (IMO) then the 400EX though. If you want to ride track, get a 400EX and do some work to it and you'll be good to go.

Honda_exrider
02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
thanks for the posts. but one more question. will the raptor "OUT JUMP" the kfx400. and if i had a rappy what kind of mods would i need to get more torque out of it. besides an exhust system

Racing Rice
02-22-2006, 08:56 AM
When you say "out jump" are you referring to holeshot, or jumping doubles type of out jump?

A Raptor will "out jump" a KFX out of the hole, if your a good rider. The KFX is a better jumper (gliding through the air) then the Raptor is though. The biggest problem the Raptor has is the extra weight, and crappy suspension for jumping. Lighter bikes are easier to throw around in the air.

There are a ton of mods you can do to a Raptor to get more Torque. Anything from simple bolt-ons to big bore kits. It just depends on your pocket book.

Honda_exrider
02-22-2006, 09:06 AM
so would you suggest the 400ex instead of the rappy

Racing Rice
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Honda_exrider
so would you suggest the 400ex instead of the rappy

Ultimately, I would/did suggest a 450 of some sort. If that isn't in your budget and your going to be doing a lot of MX riding, then yes I would probably recommend the 400EX over the Raptor. For trail riding, I would recommend the Raptor over the 400EX.

I'm not saying the Raptor doesn't jump well, it just doesn't jump as well as the 400EX does. If your looking for power get the Raptor and upgrade the suspension. It is really up to you. Both are great quads. I personally prefer my Raptor. My friend has a 400EX that is okay, I just feel more comfortable on the Raptor, especially with all of the suspension work I have done.

I almost bought a modded 440EX that had a bunch of work done to it. I do not regret not buying it.

CHEVYZ
02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Other than the Raptor VS. 400EX in trails statement, I would have to agree for the most part.;)

Honda_exrider
02-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Other than the Raptor VS. 400EX in trails statement
what do you mean by that chevyz
and no a 450 is defiently not in my budget.
thanx for the post keep um comin. i need to hear everyones opinion!

02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
As said, the Raptor will beat it in the drag, but if you are looking for jumps and other various things like it, it itsn't going to do as well. The 400EX will be around those speeds and will do nicely, but I don't really think that you will take the KFX in a drag. With light modifications ( And because of the 400EX's down low power), I have actually beaten quite a few Raptors, though if the race is long enough, they sometimes have considerably more top and can get back no problem ( Depends on who you are racing, really). The KFX's also give me this same problem, though they almost always stay right there until the top and then pull away.... so, to beat either of them on the EX, it is gonna take some mods.

For you, the 400EX is the way to go IMO.

hey CHEVYZ u put an add in the paper for the kx85 and kx100??? i was gonna call you (if it was you) oh yeah for 1000 each!!!! i should of bought them...but i was sick of having to mix gas

02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
for trails, go with the 400ex...the raptor is too top heavy, and has poor ergonomics...the raptor is tall and thin making it top heavy, the 400 is short and wide. the 400 handles better anywhere...except for a straight drag track...

hondaguy2
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
The 400ex handles better in the trails than the raptor does just like speedyquad said. My friend has one and on the road he's gone i dont even try... but Amateurs (sp?) talk speed and pros talk handling

CHEVYZ
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
for trails, go with the 400ex...the raptor is too top heavy, and has poor ergonomics...the raptor is tall and thin making it top heavy, the 400 is short and wide. the 400 handles better anywhere...except for a straight drag track... That is what I meant.... same thing I would have said.

CHEVYZ
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exXx
hey CHEVYZ u put an add in the paper for the kx85 and kx100??? i was gonna call you (if it was you) oh yeah for 1000 each!!!! i should of bought them...but i was sick of having to mix gas Wasn't me, I haven't got it in yet. It isn't both though, it is actually a KX 85 with a 100 engine in it. I am also looking for around the same price though.

Racing Rice
02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
for trails, go with the 400ex...the raptor is too top heavy, and has poor ergonomics...the raptor is tall and thin making it top heavy, the 400 is short and wide. the 400 handles better anywhere...except for a straight drag track...

The Raptor is a little tippy stock, nothing spacers (or axle) and front shocks can't fix. As for the the Ergos I COMPLETELY disagree with you. I am WAY more comfortable on my Raptor then I was on my friend 400EX and any other 400EX I've been on. I can ride the Raptor longer then I can a 400EX without getting tired, when it was bone stock. With suspension, it only gets better. The stock suspension is crap, and no one will argue that fact.

I can ride the Raptor all day long and not even fatigue, an hour on the 400EX and I'm wore out. It doesn't make sense because it is heavier, but that is how it is for me.

Honda_exrider
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
yalls advice really is a help to me. and i also love the look of the raptor too. is there any serious problems or info i should know about the quads before i buy either of them?
thanx to everyone for posting!!!

Racing Rice
02-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, a majority of the '01 Raptors had serious transmission problems. If you go to buy an '01 verify that they transmission has been updated. However, there are a lot of '01 Raptors, that never had any problems with the transmissions at all.

As for the quads, the only thing I can recommend is sitting on them and see which one you like the feel of the best. Everyone has different opinions. If you can get a test ride, that is even better! The Raptor has a lot snappier power then the 400EX does, some people like it while some don't. Then there is always the difference in handling.