PDA

View Full Version : I want to see 250R rear brakes on 400ex and what u have to do?

OutlawEX
07-17-2002, 06:50 PM
I am Considering putting a 250R rear brake assembly on my 400ex,what willl i have to do like get some different mounts or what...Please let me know,or does it mount right up to my stock set up?

Outlaw

holeshot19
07-17-2002, 07:27 PM
theres post on this you need the 250r bracket that goes on the carrier bracket that hold the cailper to that bracket a cailper a hub and a 250r rotor

07-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Contact mity mo he's running a 250R brake setup on his 425ex..

400exBro
07-18-2002, 11:56 AM
or quad041, he nows exactly how to do it as well as mity mo...
how much do the 250r rear calipers run at???
lata
Bro

OutlawEX
07-18-2002, 03:36 PM
Ok i will get ahold of one of em..thanks,i woiuld like to see a pic of em how they look

400exBro
07-18-2002, 07:18 PM
there was a thread a while back concering the same issue and there where some good photos of what exactly you need to put them onto the 400ex, i was thinking about it but i rather save up and get an axle and some turf tamers......
lata
Bro

Nausty
07-18-2002, 07:22 PM
I would you want to use the 250r brake calipers? I always though the rear was fine. heck I could lock them up in 5th gear on pavement... also could try to go to braking.com and look at their pads and wave disks i'm sure those would stop you plenty quick if you wanted even better.

400exBro
07-18-2002, 07:26 PM
250r rear brakes have 2 pistons(more stopping power) instead of one like the 400 and with the r brakes you are able to get more ground clearance bc of the small disc, but other words the the 400 brakes are a lot better than the crappy blaster ones, i'll tell ya that i had a pain the ***** adjust those and then they would wear fast, poor design...
lata
Bro

QuadRacer041
07-19-2002, 03:44 AM
here yea go.
you need 250r:caliper, rotor, hub, mounting plate, and brake line.

crashinmatt
07-19-2002, 06:17 AM
this may be a dumb question but y do u need a 250r brake line? what makes them different? is it only the length? sorry for the questions but im thinkin of this too and want to know evrything i can.

QuadRacer041
07-19-2002, 11:59 AM
yea only the legnth is differnt, in that pic i was using the 400 brake line, i have upgraded to a stell R line now

Evan
07-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Can I ask Why? Why would you want to do this setup? If you are needing this setup for racing, well when I go into a turn usally the rear brake is locked up anyway, twin piston will not effect that, just make it lock up sooner. Unless you can pace your self to not press all the way down, that is the only way I can see a benifit, use as much force without locking it up, thats kinda hard. Another thing, even though the 250R caliper has twin pistons, it also has smaller rotor, which is great for ground clearance but not stopping power. The EX rotor is slightly larger therefore it will have better stopping power at the loss of some ground clearance. But even then you have a smaller rotor so you get more ground clearance, but what about the sprocket? You would have to change that also. And are you running a skid like you should if you are worried about grnd clearance? Well then what good does a smaller rotor for ground clearance do? If anything I think you should look for some front calipers from an R and the mounting brackets from Baldwin which are 200 so its a pricey investment. A Braking caliper can run about 250 I belive, I am not sure what OEM is.

yamaha1470
07-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
Can I ask Why? Why would you want to do this setup? If you are needing this setup for racing, well when I go into a turn usally the rear brake is locked up anyway, twin piston will not effect that, just make it lock up sooner. Unless you can pace your self to not press all the way down, that is the only way I can see a benifit, use as much force without locking it up, thats kinda hard. Another thing, even though the 250R caliper has twin pistons, it also has smaller rotor, which is great for ground clearance but not stopping power. The EX rotor is slightly larger therefore it will have better stopping power at the loss of some ground clearance. But even then you have a smaller rotor so you get more ground clearance, but what about the sprocket? You would have to change that also. And are you running a skid like you should if you are worried about grnd clearance? Well then what good does a smaller rotor for ground clearance do? If anything I think you should look for some front calipers from an R and the mounting brackets from Baldwin which are 200 so its a pricey investment. A Braking caliper can run about 250 I belive, I am not sure what OEM is.

Those were my exact questions. How can you brake sooner? u only lock up the tires quicker. and if u have a skidplate u dont gain anything.

dawzie
07-19-2002, 05:30 PM
We race MX and had skid plates and still bent rotors. Skid plates got us hung up on berms to many times, took it off. Got rear ended and lost rear breaks. Since we went with the 250R set-up we have not had a problem

OutlawEX
07-19-2002, 11:35 PM
does it have to be a pacific year on whioch 250R parts to get it from,or are they all the same

Nausty
07-20-2002, 12:04 AM
anyone else have problems with their from brakes? I just replaced the pad in them and they still don't stop worth a crap. i mean I use the fronts more than the rear and I can't they won't lock up uless its loose dirt or gravel in 1st or 2nd gear speeds. And I can't even endo unless i'm going down hill and its stiller harder than crap. The reason i use the front brakes so much is because the harder you get on the front brakes the more weight is pushed onto them which means more traction and you can give it even more braking pressure and combined with the rear brake and done right you can stop on a dime sept my fronts don't work and I cant lock them up period on pavement. My blaster front drum brakes were better.

400exBro
07-20-2002, 09:07 AM
mine are the same way, i am still running orignal pads that i got when i bought the ex....
i think that maybe they were not bleed properly from the shop and there might be some air in the lines, unless you have already bleed your front brakes???
if you did get some steel bread lines, they seem to work a lot better than the stock break lines..
lata
Bro

07-21-2002, 11:26 PM
stainless lines will lock up easy, if u aint payin attention, ul flip yo @ss over and be dead (not good), get the stainless, much bettter