PDA

View Full Version : Took the 300Ex out for the first time and........

Duane
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
seems like a nice little bike for playing with. Seemed to provide good power with the paddles but required an awful lot of shifting.

I can tell the engines are very restricted and have a lot of potential. My wife was a little hesitant with the drop in power (used to a piped KFX400) in the dunes but I don't want to work it to much yet since my 11 year old is working his way onto it.

Over all good purchase and I'm looking forward to reading about all the mods you guys have done.

Can I change the rev limiter on these without changing anything else to reduce shifting?

Thanks,
Duane

drifterx
02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
A pipe will really wake it up, and you'll most definatelly want to upgrade the suspension. I've seen rev limiters on ebay, and other stores too. I'll be getting one sometime this summer.

Sjorge450R
02-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Ricks Electric sells +1000 rpm rev boxes for the 300ex. I am thinking about buying one when i get some money.

bwamos
02-22-2006, 09:17 AM
You can also have the stock CDI modified to increase the rev limit.

The sand really sucks the strength out of the 300ex in it's stock form. But, they are a blast in the tight woods.

In the sand make sure you run a shallow paddle like a skat-trak glider, or of you wana a v-groove I'd wouldn't go over 6 paddles.

The 300ex definatly take a lot more work/effort to go fast than a 400ex/z400 does. First time I rode a 400ex, I literaly thought to myself, man I could ride this thing all day without ever getting tired.. lol. 2nd thought.. was how the heck do I go faster than these guys? lol. 3rd thought... panzies. haha.

Get a tires/pipe/filter/cam/rejet/revlimit on the 300ex, and it really wakes it up. Beyond that, suspension is #1.

bradley300
02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
i wouldnt waste your money on a rev box for a 300ex, especially a stock one. they make max power well before the stock rev limiter, so if your hitting even the stock rev limiter your missing your shifts by at least a thousand rpm. something i found ona stock 300ex is to not ride it wide open throttle, stay at about 3/4 throttle and shift earlier than you think you need to, it will run much better

IMO, get a good full exhaust, air filter, then if you still need power, get a 350 big bore kit with a 12:1 piston and some port work froma reputable builder such as GThunder

Bwamos is right tho, when you need a rev box, gthunder or curtis sparks can mod the stocker to remove the rev limit. the curve wont be any different, but it will rev higher

ballzdeep38
09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
i know this is an old post but i am looking for a similar answer. i have a 07 300ex that is completely stock for my gf. we are looking for some paddles for a glamis trip coming up but the 6 paddle gliders are pretty expensive. is there any other 6 paddle tires out there that would be cheaper? most of the cheaper tires i see are only in 8 paddle.