PDA

View Full Version : Question about MX racing???

jshtex
07-17-2002, 06:32 PM
I have a question for anyone with an opinion about it. Here is the situation. First lap (of four) in the first moto. Rider A gets a great start and is in second place the entire lap. Rider B gets a bad start and cannot get around Rider A. And just so you have the picture the leader has already checked out on both A and B.

In the last turn of the first lap Rider A has problems and ends up in last place. Between motos Rider B comes up and tells him that he should have moved out of his way and let him pass.

Now there is a good chance that Rider B is faster than Rider A but he just cant get out of the gate. A and B have raced several times and A has always (untill this time) finished overall ahead of B.

What do you think. Should you let someone pass. My theory is that unless you are being passed by the front runners and you are holding them up, it should be your job not to let them pass.

:confused:

Razorback
07-17-2002, 07:34 PM
i think you're correct. don't let them pass unless you are already getting passed by other riders. in the tqra races, and i'm sure most others do the same, the track crew will black flag you if you are holding people up, essentially making you let them by. part of racing is not letting the guy behind you get in front.

250rmike
07-17-2002, 09:05 PM
no u shouldnt. that is just part of racing. u think farr just lets jones by him when jones is faster. i think not they will battle till the end

MxDale71
07-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Hey man, I tried to reply to your PM in the Atvconnection forums, but it wouldn't work. So here was my reply.

"Yeah, not to be an @ss hole or anything but he was p!ssing me off. I don't mind blocking but when he cuts me off and jumps across the track, that's just dangerous. I've done the same thing when I first raced and I got landed on... I've also landed on someone doing that. It also seemed like he was trying to hit me in some of those corners and I told him that if someone trys to hit me, I'll do the same to them. I'm sure he wasn't trying to but I was already a little riled up.

I don't want thought of as an @ss hole. I actually try to be a nice guy, but the way your son is riding is dangerous. He does the same in practice and if he does something like that to Johnny Hale or some of those other pro riders, they won't hesitate to "move him" out of the way. I just don't want to see someone get hurt out there when it can be avoided. Sorry for coming across in the rude way that I did.

I'll personnally apolagize next time I see yall at the tracks. I'm really not that way, but there were just a few things getting to me (sandbagger, people calling me a sandbagger, and other people talkin ***** about my ride) and I got a little p!ssed off. When people bad mouth my quad, I get REALLY ticked. Especially since most of those people don't even pay for their quad, and I have to pay for every last penny.

Once again, I'm sorry for coming across the way I did. He really is d@mn good out of the gate. I'd love to see how fast he can leave the gate on a hopped up 440ex or my Cannondale. Tell ya what, just to show that I have no hard feelings, I'll let him take the Dale for a spin next time I see yall. Honestly I just want to see what he can do on it. I hope yall don't have any hard feelings either.

I probably won't be racing any TQRA races this year. I'm gonna practice a lot and then start racing the full moon series and finish the Lonestar series. I may race a few single races but I'm gonna try not to race just one race in a series because I'm trying to pick up sponsors and they don't like that a lot. It makes it look like I can't commit to a full series. Hopefully if I stay healthy, I'll be trying to make 2 to 3 trips to the track every week. Yall should head out to Caddo Point or Greenville MX some time. They have open practice so you can ride as long as you want, but they don't have flaggers. I like Caddo more than Greenville. Yall should try to head out there some time. Well, I'll talk to yall later. I'll be at Badlands Friday for practice if they are open. Hope to see yall there."

I honestly don't mind blocking. I just don't think it's safe to take the right line, role the jump and cut over to the left real quick. That's how my last $400 worth of damage happened to me when I landed on a Banshee rider. Me getting a broken nose didn't help either. I guess the fear from my last wreck was still there and it made me a little more angry because that's what the other rider was doing last time.

Nausty
07-18-2002, 12:38 AM
racing factor I think its fair but I think there is a huge danger factor when racing quads and doing it. I think its a no no to jump say from the right side of a jump and land on the left side on purpose and put yourself in situations to make the other guy crash.

07-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Well not letting people pass you is part of racing,,but holding up faster riders can get you and them hurt,,if your approaching a jump and your not gonna jump it,,get over to the right side cuz somebody might be behind you that has a higher skill level and will jump it and maybe jump on you if your in the middle of the track rolling over the jumps,,,Slower riders staying in the middle of the track holding me up pisses me off severally..:mad: I guess it's track edicate to keep to the side to allow faster riders by,,You'l know who these guys are and if your one of them about the first lap or 2 and Pro's don't really have edicate i don't guess, they don't have the hillbilly racer that just bought a warrior and is racing in the B class and THINKS he's fast although all the other racers are blowin his doors off. See were I'm goin here,,I'm not trying to say let every Tom Dick and Harry by you,,but sometimes a top rider in the class might get a bad start or get hung up at the gate or what not,,,it's all part of racing and most good riders will be out front first and this won't even be an issue in most cases..just ride smart and be safe..

MxDale71
07-18-2002, 08:44 AM
See, thats what I'm saying. Jshtex, your son has the "habit" of rolling a jump on the right side and cutting over to the left. The first time I rode against him, he did that and I thought he was letting me by with him being on the right and I almost landed on him when he cut over. I know to watch out now and plus there is a slight fear factor after landing on a Banshee rider at Badlands, but that is a dangerous thing to do and I don't consider THAT blocking. I was wrong to get mad at him about the cornering deal. I'm sure he wasn't trying to hit me but like I said, I was just a bit riled up. The main thing that concerns me is what he does on the jumps, AND the fact that he blocks in practice too.

Again, I DID over react and hope yall can forgive me for being as rude about it as I was. I try to get along with everyone at the tracks. Even that MAJOR sandbagger on the yellow and red banshee. The bad thing about him was, he smoked all of us and he wasn't even riding hard :mad: .

jshtex
07-18-2002, 08:46 AM
MxDale71... Our (my) experience in mx comes from bikes and I just wanted (without pissing anyone off) to find out what was what. But I can say this if he was doing something stupid over the jumps, he wasn't doing it on purpose or in an atempt to crash you. Not on the jumps anyway :devil I will talk to him about it and see whats up.

07-18-2002, 08:58 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is some riders/racers will rearend you by slamming there front bumber into your fancy exhaust and bang up your grab bar this can tear your exhuast off,,if this happens you might wanna get out of there way..:D