Is this close?

Pappy
02-21-2006, 07:09 PM
sorry forgot the pic

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=2071061

Pappy
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Ok, all parts are stripped.

I will tell you what I think of the work as it arrived to me.

1) Someone went nuts when they stripped these parts, and that is why they were so uneven. The actual metal surface is ruined. No solid gloss powdercoat is worth shooting honestly. A textured powder will hide most of the defects but not all. These never should have been coated and the person responsible for stripping them should have purchased new parts for the customer.

2) The parts that did not have surface damage were not of high quality workmanship. There were areas that were rough and uncoated, while other areas were not masked to keep powdercoat from getting where it just shouldnt be. Oil leaks would have been an issue from my expierence, uneven powdercoat even with a gasket will seldomly form a good seal.

3) The clear coat used was applied uneven, I could tell this from the build up of the metalflake in areas while other areas remained almost void of the topcoat.

4) Bad prep caused powder to not adhere in some areas, forming pinholes from outgassing and 100% failure in others. A hole in a weld is one thing, this is from dirt on the surface prior to coating.

5) The oil tank looked about like any other stamped steel oil tank. Lines and uneven marks are common and it was one of the only parts I found to be somewhat acceptable, except for the large amount of grit from the blasting media that was left in the tank. This would have been an engine destroying occurance if it had not been caught before installation.

Over all, this was a very very bad job by whoever did it. I would have never used a solid gloss on these parts in the condition they were in, or would have offered to replace or shoot for free the damaged items. I do not know who coated these nor do I assign blame, just staing what i see. I would, as I am doing now, telling you to inform the parts owner that I will not shoot these parts in anything but a texture powder. The subframe and A Arms can be most anything, along with the stem, but all small parts need to be something that will hide the metal surface.

On yet a more negative side, the box arrived via Fed Ex in an "Opened" condition. I have no list of what was sent so I will post what arrived.

1 oil Tank
2 front hubs
1 set of a arms
2 shock clamps (i did find all the pieces )
4 beadlock rings
1 sub frame
1 or 2 small brackets

I think that was it, but when I go pull the parts from rinsing i will take another look.

450robot
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
i was reading about his experience on bluetraxx.com, i feel really for bad him, spending a ton of money on the pc, and then having the guy ruin it by over blasting the parts to the point where the metal accually gave way (not to mention the horrible coating job, those pics made me cry)

i only hope the asswhole of a coater that did his stuff is not being such an *** anymore, atleast enough to refund the parts

PismoLocal
02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
That right there is the exact reason i am shipping my parts 3000 miles. From california all the way to pappy in west virgina. Shipping maybe expensive but the piece of mind that my parts are in good hands is worth it.

Blizzard24
02-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Pappy, thank you for taking on the job, I will inform the owner of the parts tonight and get back to you. Thank you for clearing some things up as well.

And for ANYONE thinking about getting parts PC'ed I can speak from experience that Pappy has been a great person to deal with and his quality of work is first class.

Pappy
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
ok, just let me know. with such a short time frame colors need to be basic and i need to know asap so i can make sure i have ot in stock

and i make mistakes like everyone else, i just stand behind mine:p i sure hope all parties involved get squared away, noone likes turmoil

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Before picture

This was caused by to heavy of abrasive blasting. if the parts had been or were previously coated, this damage would have been clearly visable before the stripping process and the customer should have been notified immediatley before work progressed.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Unfortunatley, there was just too much damage to be corrected and even with a powder that does a good job of hiding metal defects, the damage is still visable.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Before Picture

Again, heavy abrasive blasting caused the metal damage and the color it was coated in further enhanced the problem.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Again, the textured powder could only hide so much. This is the worst metal prep I have ever seen.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
The back of the oil tank was not caused by metal prep, that is merely the normal lines found in a stamped steel tank, but as stated above, it appeard little attention was paid to proper prep as media was in the tank as sent to the customer. I hung this tank in my oven to check something, and when the part temp reached 350 degrees the oil in the tank smoked for over an hour. A clear sign this tank was never washed or cleaned prior to prep, my feeling is that it was not cured at the proper temperature.

Chino886
02-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I am shocked.....

I would of demanded new parts if they were returned to me that way! Looks like you will be getting all of my PC!

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Tank was washed throughly and every effort made to extract all blasting media before and after coating.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
All remaining parts were stripped and recoated to match what had to be done.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
The stator cover suffered the same fate as all other magnisium parts

JHF219
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Good god almighty!! Some moron really fu*%$# up those parts.

Pappy im curious what kind of blasting media would cause this ?

and I know what douche did this to the parts. I can only hope that this all gets squared away that was a lot of money that was ruined for sure.

What color did you spray the parts with? is that silver vein? or black mini text? i cant tell?:)

pastfast125
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
srry, just thought I'd ask this quick question without starting another thread, pappy, can you PC over bondo?? just wondering.

That sucks about those parts, it looks like tey got messed up bad. Did they blast them so much that it was actually eating away at the metel? :eek2:

Pappy
02-28-2006, 05:21 AM
no clue on what media they used to blast these parts with, and yes, it ate right into the metal surface.

lab metal can used in the same fashion as bonda, but its a lot more expensive. it would be cheaper and faster to buy new parts