PDA

View Full Version : weightlifting suppliments

hondaryder
02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
ok you guys, i was wondering if anyone on this site takes any protein suppliments, cause i was wanting to buy maybe a 10 lb jug of some but want to know what kind is the best. i am a junior, and i love lifting, but after i tore my acl in a 4wheeler accident, some of my lifts have gone down. i have always been the one in the weightroom who is natural and says doesnt need them to lift a lot, but everyone who is really stronger then me then and now, takes supplements to increase their energy and work out. i dont want to get to into taking the supplements but it would be nice to get back to normal and more. i weight 200, bench 275 which is good, but only squat about 275 which i was around 320. i dont really do deadlift because of back problems, and my clean is 205. any suggestions on supplements would be great. thanks

nosliw
02-21-2006, 04:22 PM
from most important to least important (IMO)

whey protein
creatine
multivitamin
casien protein
glutamine

MotoX3
02-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I took a whey protein blend with milk each morning and post workout for about 2 weeks when I started getting back into lifting and saw about a 5 pound increase in my numbers in that short amount of time.:ermm:

Bush0102
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
currently i'm just taking whey protien and a multivitamin. Some of the side effects of some of these new supplements scare me.

've seen a bunch ofcommercials for a supplement line called xyience. apparently its endorsed by the UFC...i'm gonna do some research on it tonight.

02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
go to the nutrition store, nd get the energy drink redline, you're not suspose to have more than 1/2 of it in an hour, and not hjave more than 2 in one day, iut's stong ****, full of vitamins and stuff, and tastes goods, a smooth taste, not like redbull.

the rest of the stuff you just piss out your body, don't waist your money on vitamins and creatin, doesn't help you, unless you bench like 350 pounds, like my friend nick thats a cop, don't waste ur money

Hondadudeehhhh
02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
well i just hit a platue i cant get passed so one of my buddies who is a senior (playing college football) recomended creatine. I have always talked down on creatine, but he works at GNC and has been lifting for years and has done his research on this stuff. I took his word for it and bought some today. I have been working out for about a 1 and a half, 5 days a week. Tomorrow im going to start after i workout, does anyone have any concerns about this stuff?

To answer your question i take whey protein and that stuff has really bulked me up in the past year or so.

gun32boarder
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
well i just hit a platue i cant get passed so one of my buddies who is a senior (playing college football) recomended creatine. I have always talked down on creatine, but he works at GNC and has been lifting for years and has done his research on this stuff. I took his word for it and bought some today. I have been working out for about a 1 and a half, 5 days a week. Tomorrow im going to start after i workout, does anyone have any concerns about this stuff?

To answer your question i take whey protein and that stuff has really bulked me up in the past year or so.

You have nothing to worry about if you drink PLENTY of water. Also follow the guidelines. Don't go crazy thinking more creatine=more power/size.

el diablo
02-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Eat, eat and eat. Eggs, steak, chicken, tuna.

trx400exxracer
02-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by el diablo
Eat, eat and eat. Eggs, steak, chicken, tuna.

or whey protein:huh

pastfast125
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Anybody ever hear anything about or know somebody who takes tjhis stuff called NO-explode? I forget who makes it...but It looks like awesome stuff..I saw a guy from another forum that took it, he said the stuff was awesome.

el diablo
02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
or whey protein:huh

Yes but imo I would rather eat then take all them damn supplments.

XxXsupa-flyXxX
02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
no-xplode

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2138541&cp=2167077.2108326.2108300&parentPage=family

honduh440
02-21-2006, 07:03 PM
animal pak ...... best on the market

kssandduner
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I have looked into the NO Xplode myself. I'm currently taking cardio stack and whey protein. When I compared the ingredients from the cardio stack to the no xplode (they are both pre workout supplements) I found out that they have alot of the same ingredients, only the NO Xplode has like triple the amount!! NO Xplode also has creatine in it.

don't waist your money on vitamins
You're an idiot. I'm sure most of us on here don't consume the proper amount of vitamins daily. A good multivitamin is probably more important to a beginner than anything else. I'm planning on trying NO Xplode or Gakic when I run out of cardio stack.

Joe

crookedeyemoto-x
02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I myself take a protein called muscle milk it has 32 grams per serving and with milk has 40. It tastes great and have really seen results from it. I also take a daily vitamin everyday and eat pretty good. Be sure to drink lots of water and be sure to do each rep in the weight room correctly. I know this sounds a bit picky, but less reps done correctly is better than more that are not done properly. Hope this helps you will find that weight lifting is very relaxing and releaves stress.

4oorider
02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
do not use creotine. it doesnt make u stronger or anything. it builds the fluid buildup around the muscles or something like that, making them appear bigger, but it has basically no effects except wasting money. does not build muscle mass or make you stronger, like i said before. the body only absorbs about 25% of the stuff, the rest just gets urinated out. its made out of one amino acid that your body needs. a very high concentration of that amino acid. your body needs 9 essential amino acids and your only getting a high concentration of 1 of the 9.

pastfast125
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Can you guys see any problems with me taking NO-explode? I'm 15. I really like the sounds of it, and I read a bunch of reviews on it, and pretty much everybody who followed the directions right LOVED it and had no bad side affects.
Supposedly this stuff pumps you up like CRAZY. THe guy from a dirtbiking forum that took it, he said like 15 minutes after taking it, usually he could only bench 140..he was doin 170. sounds like pretty strong stuff to me.

lol
02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
Anybody ever hear anything about or know somebody who takes tjhis stuff called NO-explode? I forget who makes it...but It looks like awesome stuff..I saw a guy from another forum that took it, he said the stuff was awesome.

yeppp no-xplode is good i used it for a short timeee...my cousin is on it now and hes seen some huge gains

personally i dont like anything but this is good and so is cell tech

bothh very expensive:eek2:

no-xplode does get you pumped.... i drank a cup of the cherry and i didnt feel like stopping working out for hours, i dont know about going from benching 140 to 170, thats a little outrageous dont you think?

it can have bad side effects tho, but i havnt noticed any with me or my cousin...i have heard of kidney stones from it:scary:

I'm 15 by the way and so is my cousin...pretty good stuff but.... unless your gonna seriously work out everyday, then forget about it, just play sports..you also have to consider why you want to take it, do you want to get big and look good, or just get stronger?

pastfast125
02-21-2006, 08:22 PM
both:D Once I move I wanna get my own home gym setup..so then I'll prob start takin it and workin out all the time.

nosliw
02-21-2006, 10:15 PM
there is nothing wrong with taking creatine. i really wish the people that put it down would do some GD research on it.

creatine does a lot, but the main points are

increases water retention
spikes energy
heals

glutamine is another 100% safe product that helps you heal. like said before, eat. there is nothing better for you if you lift weights. supplements can't give you the same stuff a good meal can.

04TRX400EX
02-21-2006, 10:29 PM
I take Precision Engineered (Vitamin World) Whey Protein and Liquid Aminos. The whey protein gives you 17g per serving, with only 1g carbs. The amino acid gives you an additional 15g protein and all of the essential amino acids your muscles crave when working out. The whey protein is like the most basic form of suppliments. Protein builds muscle. The more protein you take (to a point), the easier it is for your muscles to repair themselves and grow. Make sure your protein isn't filled with carbs though, because you will often get more than enough carbs in your diet or from the ingredients in your protein shake (fruit, milk, yogurt) if you make one. You don't need more carbs in the protein powder. The aminos don't really do anything for muscle repair, but if taken before workout, it really helps you during your workout. It allows you to do more reps with more weight without feeling as tired. Basically it improves energy so that you can have a more intense workout (think caffeine, without the bad effects).

I have experimented with creatine w/fos***ain (sp?) in the past. Everyone has their own opinions but I didn't like the way it made me feel. Creatine makes you appear bigger because it makes your muscles retain water. The problem is, you must drink a sh*tload of water to keep the effect. Plus, in my situation at least, creatine can really mess with your stomach- basically it doesn't "agree" with you very well sometimes.

Take it or leave it, that's what I do and those are my opinions, and my brother-in-law/personal trainer's advice.

04TRX400EX
02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I was trying to say creatine with Fosfa-gain (f.o.s.f.a.g.a.i.n) but the system administrator bad word check thing didn't like it apparently. I might not be spelling it correctly btw.

nosliw
02-21-2006, 10:40 PM
i drink 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water a day so the creatine never dehydrated me.

XxXsupa-flyXxX
02-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by pastfast125
Can you guys see any problems with me taking NO-explode? I'm 15. I really like the sounds of it, and I read a bunch of reviews on it, and pretty much everybody who followed the directions right LOVED it and had no bad side affects.
Supposedly this stuff pumps you up like CRAZY. THe guy from a dirtbiking forum that took it, he said like 15 minutes after taking it, usually he could only bench 140..he was doin 170. sounds like pretty strong stuff to me.

im 14 and i have been using it for almost a month and i can tell it works..

MR.BIG
02-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 4oorider
do not use creotine. it doesnt make u stronger or anything. it builds the fluid buildup around the muscles or something like that, making them appear bigger, but it has basically no effects except wasting money. does not build muscle mass or make you stronger, like i said before. the body only absorbs about 25% of the stuff, the rest just gets urinated out. its made out of one amino acid that your body needs. a very high concentration of that amino acid. your body needs 9 essential amino acids and your only getting a high concentration of 1 of the 9.

You have said nothing but BS. Creatine does make your stronger and it does give you more of a drive. There have been many studies done on creatine and it is safe. So my question to you is why would people buy it if it did nothing at all? I have been lifting for 8 years and I know what works and what doesn't work.

tants
02-22-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html

for all of you who DON'T know what you're talking about...

pastfast125
02-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I made jello today

gun32boarder
02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
You have said nothing but BS. Creatine does make your stronger and it does give you more of a drive. There have been many studies done on creatine and it is safe. So my question to you is why would people buy it if it did nothing at all? I have been lifting for 8 years and I know what works and what doesn't work.

Aww man ya beat me to it. I just love some people who say things about creatine without knowing anything about it.

250-R-250
02-22-2006, 07:39 PM
My problem is that I am allergic to Dairy Products. That makes it VERY hard to gain more weight. I know that alot of these supplements have dairy in it. Does anyone on here have the same problem, and what supplements or types are dairy free.

4oorider
02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG

so guess my health teacher isnt teaching me right:rolleyes:
i think a health teacher for 20 years would know more than a 8yr lifter. just my 2cents

Originally posted by 04TRX400EX

I have experimented with creatine w/fos***ain (sp?) in the past. Everyone has their own opinions but I didn't like the way it made me feel. Creatine makes you appear bigger because it makes your muscles retain water. The problem is, you must drink a sh*tload of water to keep the effect. Plus, in my situation at least, creatine can really mess with your stomach- basically it doesn't "agree" with you very well sometimes.

thats basically what i said, it makes the muscles get water, making you look bigger. it doesnt build up the muscle tissues, thus ur not getting stronger.

tants
02-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by 4oorider
so guess my health teacher isnt teaching me right:rolleyes:
i think a health teacher for 20 years would know more than a 8yr lifter. just my 2cents

thats basically what i said, it makes the muscles get water, making you look bigger. it doesnt build up the muscle tissues, thus ur not getting stronger.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html

the ^True facts