PDA

View Full Version : Which Shocks??......Sorry

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Im really sorry i know people ask this all the time. My mom is finally going to let me get shocks after cracking my frame. This is her money so she wants the best or or best bang for the buck but top notch quality. I have around 1800 to spend. Here is the 2 senarios i have made up but not sure.

1.... Elka Front Comp adj Triple rates, Rear Conversion, houser Stem and Tc Pipe
OR
2...PEP ZPS and rear Conversion, Stock Stem and TC Pipe

I need shocks stem and pipe right now nuthin else so if you have any suggestions for them let me know. I May be able to save a little more if needed but really dont want too. Thanks and sorry again.

Tommy 17
07-17-2002, 05:02 PM
i would pick #1 and this is why...

i just ordered the same exact shocks 2 dayz ago... and i picked them bc of how everyone talks about how good they are and the price... yes pep zps mayb better but i think elkas all i am gonna need... pluz i got one sweet deal on them...

then also u get a better steering stem that ur never probably gonna bend... but i would go with #1...

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 05:14 PM
How much were they??

400exRacerX
07-17-2002, 05:15 PM
#1 you'll get them sooner too.

Tommy 17
07-17-2002, 05:31 PM
725 and it a 2 week wait or less and pep is to to 4 months possibly longer and another 120$+

Nausty
07-17-2002, 06:29 PM
i say 1.

Jessy
07-17-2002, 06:47 PM
I ordered my elka's on Monday and the will be here tomorrow. I got the front triple rate comp adjustable and rear dual rate comp and rebound. They charge more from the factory $820 front and $726 rear but the turn over time is great plus there is no middleman to mess up your order.

Dave400ex
07-17-2002, 07:58 PM
#1. I ordered the same Elka`s and got them today. They are sweet. Once you get them they will be all you should ever need. Plus you get a Stronger Stem.

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Ok i think thats what im going to go with.

What kind of shocks are you getting racerX.

Jeff@ the quadshop if you read this how much for the Elka Comp adj Front. Rear Coversion, Houser Chrome Stem and Tag T-2 Bars? Can you get TC pipe? Thanks

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Warriorman did you get to ride on them yet. Any problems with the spacer things or the setup? I want to hear the whole low down after a little ride time on them.

Dave400ex
07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Well no I don`t even have them on yet. I was Bailing Straw I got home and there was a big Elka Suspension box on my Table. Mine were $725 from Full Throttle MX. I think the Quadshop and C&D are all right around there too. The Rear will be $295-$310. I checked them over and I don`t see any problems or how there would be problems with the Spacers. They are very nicely built that`s for sure. Don`t worry I will let you know of any problems and how they are. If I don`t have to Bail tomorrow they will be put on, but it rained here so now it`s muddy and I won`t get to ride in the Yard. I`ll let you know.

honda250xrider
07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
i would get works if i were u i have it on my quad it is nice i have never ridden on a quad with elka's or anything but works i have yet to bottom and u can tell a huge dif over stock and would say some money

Nausty
07-18-2002, 01:48 AM
there is more to a shock than "if it bottems or not" in fact the shock should bottem out on the bigger jumps you do which means you can use the travel you have on the mx track through whoops and whatnot to absorb the smaller stuff better. Kinda like when you see the baha races and you see the trucks steady as a rock and the tires are going up a down very quick and are always tracking.

07-18-2002, 10:50 AM
I'll take option number 1 for $200 pat...:D

400exRacerX
07-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by NACS400EX

What kind of shocks are you getting racerX.

Well after searching around I found a great deal on a front set of dual rate axis shocks that I couldnt pass up, I'll have them next week.

Pepto_Bismol
07-18-2002, 11:04 AM
NACS,
I've had my Elka fronts since Dec. Of last year and have never had an issue with them. And my rear I've had for over 2 months now (full Elka shock, not the converison) and man, what a match!!! It it so much fun to slide through the corners and jump over everything like a frog with it's @$$ on fire!!! :devil :huh

Dude,so many people have the Elka setup out here in AZ it's not funny. Even my friend Jessy, who rides with us all the time, became convinced they where the right way to go. He got all three shocks (direct form elka) ordered, shipped and delivered in four days..FOUR Days..what the heck is that???? Anyway..I'll chime in for option 1. you won't be dissappointed.

Pepto :cool:

BTW....Jessy..your a buttmunch!!! :devil

cdalejef
07-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
Jeff@ the quadshop if you read this how much for the Elka Comp adj Front. Rear Coversion, Houser Chrome Stem and Tag T-2 Bars? Can you get TC pipe? Thanks Nacs, you have a PM!

Dave400ex
07-18-2002, 04:24 PM
Well I got to ride the Elka`s. They are awesome. I haven`t had any problems with them so far. I hope to get a good ride on them this weekend. I can`t believe how much it lowered the Front end. I bet when I sit on it it`s 1 to 1-1/2 inches lower. It is so much lower the Front end is wider about even with the rear now. I really like it. The fronts are way better then my Rear. Plus the front end is a lot lower now so it is funny looking. Once I get the Rear it will be awesome.

Foxrage
07-18-2002, 04:52 PM
WOW they sound great. every time this question comes along i seem to like them more and more.

For the rear should i get the shock or the rebuild?? I would rather have the new shock so i can ride and wait at the same time. How much is the rear? Thanks

Dave400ex
07-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Oh trust me get the Elka`s. I love them. We are going Riding this weekend and I will really test them. At home I can`t really but they are great so far. My neighbor even likes them.

If you have money for the New Rear Shock get it. I`m sure it is better then the Rebuild, but 2 times the cost. I think the Rear is around $750.

Tommy 17
07-18-2002, 10:45 PM
i'm just gettin the rear rebuild for mine when i p/c my frame...

07-18-2002, 11:00 PM
tommy when u gettin ur shocks will they be here by rausch slap nutz

Foxrage
07-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Well my pipe is out of the question now cause i have to get and axle now that i bent it. i guess the pipe will be a while but it will be alright for now i might try to find a used one for now anyone have one 4 sale cheap?

400exRacerX
07-19-2002, 08:26 AM
I just picked my shocks up, I need to send them to my bud rich buckley to get compression adjustment and triple rate springs installed.

07-19-2002, 09:57 AM
has anyone considered custom axis those are suppose to be the best I've heard? the works non rezzys that I got are a great ride for the buck and I race mx and don't have any complaints except in the whoops but a local shock builder is gonna modify them so they don't blow the stroke in the whoops also the 400 rear is the same as a cr80 rear except the rezzy is turned 90 degrees so a bike shock builder can race tech gold valve the shock for a fraction of the price for any one that has a tight budget.(like me) but i also heard pep is gaining a couple inchs of travel out of the stock unit and it sounds like it works real good anyone else with your setups?I just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in there

400exRacerX
07-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Those are custom axis shocks in the above picture.

James70214
07-19-2002, 11:06 AM
400RACERX

Where did you get those??? From Who?? Those are the same ones I had on my 400 when I sold them. Those are not compresiion ajustable, so how are you going to make them. Do you have to get new Resivoirs?

400exRacerX
07-19-2002, 11:59 AM
I bought them off Sean White for $400, they are mint. He says they are only 2 months old. There is no scratches, scuffs, nicks, or dirt on them at all. Yes I have to buy new resevoirs.

There is only one scratch on it, its from the moron that had the shocks before Sean and tryed to smack the top of the shock in the frame with a hammer.:rolleyes:

kicken250x
07-19-2002, 01:41 PM
im not a ...buttmunch ur the buttmunch you buttmunch

idk if you were takin to me or not but yea my name is jesse ya know just one of them random things:D :blah

07-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Those are custom axis shocks in the above picture.

Yeah right there stock shocks with coat hangers goin to small beer cans painted black..:rolleyes:

Foxrage
07-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Ok so right now after i sell the bayou i plan on ordering Elkas Triple Rate w/ comp adj, Rear shock conversion, Lonestar Axle, Houser Stem, Tag T-2 bars, and TC pipe.

Do you guys recomend me Changing anything? I should have money shortly after to get my wider a-arms do you guys think i should judt get the shocks valved for those a-arms? Thanks

James70214
07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
400exracerx

See if you can find out who he got them from. I am very curious to see if they are my old shocks.

400exRacerX
07-19-2002, 04:10 PM
He got them from some guy that was getting rid of his 400, quad041 knows the guys name.

His first name is Johnny.

mrusk
07-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Nacs why dont you just wait till you have the money for the aarms before you get the shocks. Your better off just waiting.

matt

James70214
07-19-2002, 06:41 PM
That is really funny

Those are my old shocks. You can't make them triple rate unless you get new shaftscause that was what I was gonna do in the winter but I sold the bike. They are only valved for 135 The guy is John Vacca right? I traded him my bike for a 250r. Godd luck if you get them. You are gonna spend a lot of money to get compresioin adj. and triple rate springs. I don't think it is worth it.

400exRacerX
07-19-2002, 06:45 PM
LOL,,, its funny you say that because I'm 195lbs and they seemed extremely soft.

Rich says I can make them triple rate, IDK though he may be wrong.

I just got rid of my works too and I'm going out this weekend, I asked Sean and he didnt know what they were valved for.

So I guess I am gonna bottom the crap outa them, this probally meens I need new springs too right?

The shocks are spotless though, so how can they be from the winter?

Dave400ex
07-19-2002, 07:53 PM
NACS that setup sounds very good. You are going to like that Pipe. I would go ahead and get the Shocks valved for +2 a-arms now they will just be a little hard. Or like Mrusk said you could save for the A-Arms and get them at the same time.

Those Axis Shocks look very nice. Hopefully you can do whatever you want to them.

James70214
07-20-2002, 08:37 AM
Yeah they are from christmas time. I took very good care of them and used shockwears. Yeah I think you will need new springs. Out of all the quads I have seen none had that color spring(the tan one. Good luck though. If I go to the Rausch creek ride I will give you the manual and all the info if you want it. I still have it.