PDA

View Full Version : 416 needs help

spazzy973
02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
hey guys i wrecked my 416 a few months ago and had to change out alot of shyt but now it is all back together and i rode it for the first time a while back and after i got about 2 miles from my house i died on me and would not run right after that i thought i got it fixed the other night but didn't anyway what is going on is it will start just fine and run good until it i guess get hot then it just quits and won't run i have noticed that i can putt around just fine but as soon as i goose it then we are back where we started it feels like it is not getting gas or something like that but i have cleaned the carb about 10 times and every time it is the same i know it is hard to diagnos something with out hearing it or driving it but any help would be appreciated

02-21-2006, 11:57 PM
well if it was sittin for a wile you might need fresh gas or check your jeting

prepracing
02-22-2006, 02:47 AM
tell us what kind of parts you had to repair/replace that have to do with it running like wiring or CDI, coil or plug wire, stator, carb parts...etc.....that give a starting point of what to look for

pit/wood
02-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Is cleaning the carb allowing it to run right,or is it cooling down while you are cleaning the carb?heat can cuase damaged wiring to lose connection.connectors that do not have proper tension(the ability of the female side to grip the male side and maintian a good connection.)sounds like a girlfriend I had once!lol.check you connectors for proper tension by making a small tool that is the same thickness as the male connector,then slip it in and out of the female side and see how it feels,compare like connectors to each other.they sometimes get damaged during dissassembly.A list of what you had to replace would help.

spazzy973
02-22-2006, 08:43 AM
well i did not change any of the mechanical stuff out is was more like the frame a arms wheels tires all brakelines and things like that pretty well everything but the motor and when i say cleaning the carb that does not make it run it will only run when it has cooled off it does seem like it would be the jets or something but i don't see how anything could have been changed another thing that might help it when it does die on me i can hold the throttle wide open and hit the start button and it will almost run it is like it is not getting any gas but i have checked everything and can not come up with anything i was thinking it was maybe the valves needed adjusting hope this helps

pit/wood
02-22-2006, 09:04 AM
remove the air filter and try to start it,while doing that have someone else spray a small amount off carb cleaner in the carb boot.if it picks up and runs you have a lack of fuel problem.dont try to keep it runnin with the carb spray,its possible to wash the oil off the cyl.wall and cause damage.could be as simple as a clogged up petcock screen.pull the petcock off and check that.

spazzy973
02-22-2006, 09:06 AM
i am not familiar with the petcock what exactly is it

pit/wood
02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
That thing that you reach down and put your fingers on......when you are runnin out of gas.lol Make sure your tank is empty before removing it.Or you can just take the tank off,plug the overflow hose and turn the tank upside down.

spazzy973
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
oh ok i will try that tonight thanks for all of your help i will let you know if it works

pit/wood
02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Just remember,suck,squeeze,bang ,blow.that is the 4 strokes.you have to make sure that these are there. Along with what applies to each stroke. Enough air to suck. Enough compression to squeeze(minimum of about 85-95 psi on most engines). Enough fuel in the air and a spark to bang.And a way to blow it out.confirm these things first.Then go from there.I was taught that more years ago than most of the people in this forum are.