PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pappy!

ShiftFMX
02-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I got a little project proposition for you!

I think it would be a neat Idea if you could post up a Step-By-Step tutorial on powdercoating, with pictures! I think it would interest alot of people and help out ppl to on what to do. I know i'm clueless on what happens, So i'd kind of like to find out!

Just one of the many ideas I got brewin :scary:

300exOH
02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Actually he did post a link to an article with a basic how to on pc'ing.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197526

ShiftFMX
02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Interesting...I wanna see what it takes to do a frame!

300exOH
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I see. Actually I'd like to see the procedure for a frame too since I'll have one to be repaired and pc'ed soon.

02-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Why would he want to teach people how to PC to give away buisness to do-it-yourself ers?

300exOH
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
Why would he want to teach people how to PC to give away buisness to do-it-yourself ers?

I can't speak for others but for me it isn't abou learning how so I can do it myself. It's more about understanding what I am paying for to have a pro do the work. I will still be sending mine to pappy because of his level of experience.

ShiftFMX
02-21-2006, 09:03 PM
bump :blah:

Pappy
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I will see what I can do.

ShiftFMX
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Sounds good :cool:

Pappy
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight

I was and still am a do -it -yourselfer:p

I have told everyone since day 1 that anyone can do this within thier limits. A space to do the prep, the equipemnet to do the prep , a space to have a booth so powder doesnt get all over and into everything you own, the equipment to apply the powder and an oven to cure it. beyond that the info is readily available on the internet to give you the basics. the tips and tricks come from expierence and i may tell folks the basics, i wont give up the trade secrets ive learned....that is just the way it is:p

Doing a frame is no different then say, an engine mount except its bigger and has more areas to be concerned with (corners, areas where dirt hides etc)

As far as competition, there are more then enough people that do this for a bonafide living, others that front for real shops and those that do it for the pure enjoyment. Im not concerned, I know how expensive it is to have a set up to do this on a professional level and most folks just do not have that ability or space or free time to dedicate themselves to learn this. Its going on 5 years and i learn new stuff everyday.So if any one needs help all they have to do is ask.

And the biggest thing I cant teach is good customer service. You could be the best at what you do, but if you dont take care of the customer then you suck. (whoops, secret number 1 is out..lol)

troutman561
02-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Wont you lose $$ if you tell everyone how to powder coat stuff, maybe you should tell them how to do it wrong so they have to come to you to get it fixed properly....

knighttime
02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Wont you lose $$ if you tell everyone how to powder coat stuff, maybe you should tell them how to do it wrong so they have to come to you to get it fixed properly....

haha, pappy knows every trick in the book. i doubt he will use that one, lol, but ya never know :eek2:

300exOH
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I was looking around and I thought it was a reasonably priced business to get into. I found a place here in ohio that was selling off basically a complete powdercoating operation for $4500. Basically everything but the building. If I had more business experience I would've considered doing it myself. I agree about taking care of the customer. Good customer service is number one when it comes to dealing with companies.

Pappy
02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
$4500 is mega cheap. my oven alone was 3 times that:p i had looked at several deals before i bought new, but i did not want to buy something that would fail me so i shyed away. around here nothing is cheap, but making money takes money. im looking at a 48 foot conveyor line with pass thru oven right now. the company doesnt want to expand so they are willing to sell me the line plus the business that goes with it (around 200 rims per week) i have some other business dealings in the works that do not included powdercoat, but if they dont pan out i may go ahead and build a full on shop and do this full tie in the near future.

as far as losing money, i do not believe so. if someone has it in thier mind that they want to do thier own work then you really are not going to get them to send you work. i would say that atv related work is only about 20 % of what i do. its a big world out there and if you are only looking at quads to make a living then you wont be making your accountant very happy:p

300exOH
02-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
$4500 is mega cheap. my oven alone was 3 times that:p i had looked at several deals before i bought new, but i did not want to buy something that would fail me so i shyed away. around here nothing is cheap, but making money takes money. im looking at a 48 foot conveyor line with pass thru oven right now. the company doesnt want to expand so they are willing to sell me the line plus the business that goes with it (around 200 rims per week) i have some other business dealings in the works that do not included powdercoat, but if they dont pan out i may go ahead and build a full on shop and do this full tie in the near future.

as far as losing money, i do not believe so. if someone has it in thier mind that they want to do thier own work then you really are not going to get them to send you work. i would say that atv related work is only about 20 % of what i do. its a big world out there and if you are only looking at quads to make a living then you wont be making your accountant very happy:p

Yeah. I thought $4500 was cheap too. I'm not sure how big of an outfit it is but it was tempting at that price. It sounds like it could be a good money maker at that price. I would think that between quad,street bike and car parts you could make a decent chunk of change. I know I have the ability to learn the powdercoating process but I'm not sure I could actually make a business of it though.

Pappy
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
not just quads, bikes and cars,

there are tons of small fabricators that just love pc. i just picked up an account that wanted my type of work and he builds 300 small lock assemblies for heavy equipment a week. he had tried all the local places, but wasnt getting the personal touch he felt he should have so it was an easy deal. why anyone would spend the cash to fancy up a bracket is beyond me, but if that extra touch sells his product then more power to him:p

then you have the entire marine industry. people spend TONS on thier boats, and they do not like metal that looks shabby.

the possibilities for expanding to markets way beyond atv's is limited only by your capacity to do the work.

300exOH
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Never thought about marine parts but there would be plenty of business around here since I'm so close to lake erie. I know there are many other items out there to be pc'ed. My step-father worked for rubbermaid and they pc'ed quite a few products like their closet shelving systems and shelves/hangers for garage use. There's definitely plenty of business out there if you know where to look.

I can see why someone would want to pc high wear items. I've even mentioned to my wife about pc'ing our ugly handles and knobs in the kitchen for durability.:o

Ralph
02-22-2006, 04:47 PM
i pc'd some stuff today and figured id post a pic of the job i hate doing the most but is alsmost the most important.

Masking off areas that need to stay powder free

Pappy
02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
i pc'd some stuff today and figured id post a pic of the job i hate doing the most but is alsmost the most important.

Masking off areas that need to stay powder free

hey ralph, your rims arrived tonight:)

wvspeedfreak
02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
i may go ahead and build a full on shop and do this full tie in the near future

Are you taking applications yet :D I don't know sqat about pc'ing but I can sandblast like a mofo :p

Ralph
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
hey ralph, your rims arrived tonight:)

sounds good

redrunner
02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Yeah. I thought $4500 was cheap too. I'm not sure how big of an outfit it is but it was tempting at that price. It sounds like it could be a good money maker at that price. I would think that between quad,street bike and car parts you could make a decent chunk of change. I know I have the ability to learn the powdercoating process but I'm not sure I could actually make a business of it though.

I know how big it was.....down the street from me..:eek:

300exOH
02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
I know how big it was.....down the street from me..:eek:

I didn't know you were near hardkore coatings. I looked at the post again and I realized the price did not include an oven though. It still didn't seem like a bad price considering all the extras. I see now that some of the equipment has been sold. It was really tempting. I have to wonder why the business didn't make it. It seems like it could easily be a decent money making business.:ermm:

redrunner
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
He is a great guy but runs another company along with trying to do that. As Pappy mentioned alot of time is required to do just the powder let alone have a life. He did alot of stuff for the local crotchrocket and ricer groups but.....

300exOH
02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Ahh. That makes sense. It's hard to make much out of a business if you aren't giving it 110% of your attention. I wouldn't mind starting a small operation of my own but who knows if it will ever happen. I'm still going to try and pick up a small hobby gun and old kitchen oven and start learning the basics more as a hobby than anything else. I don't expect to make a living at it but you never know. I def have the time to put into it.:o

02-23-2006, 02:38 PM
A good secret is to mix it with paint thinner.

Pappy
02-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by banshee91
A good secret is to mix it with paint thinner.

every once in awhile there is a member that i ban simply because he post nothing but crap.

i think your that member tonight

MOFO
02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
every once in awhile there is a member that i ban simply because he post nothing but crap.

:devil:

02-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Cant take a joke i see.

Pappy
02-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Cant take a joke i see.

I can take a joke just fine, lets see if you can take a hint:p

02-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Cant take a joke i see. That's not the point.

02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
You post so much BS. Little spoiled brat.