PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bearing replacement

motochris
07-17-2002, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to replace the swingarm bearings on my 300ex. The bearing cagebroke and the rollers fell out. Well i'm trying to replace the bearings but i can't get them out or to even move. Does anyone have any tricks that will work or something i could try and not damage the swingarm tube??? Yes i'm getting a little pis$ed at it.

Also will the bearings go all the way through the tube or is there a stop to limit bearing depth??? Could i knock them throught one direction??? If i need a special tool to do this also let me know and where i could buy one. Thanks for the help................

chris

yellow_ho_01
07-18-2002, 08:09 AM
i used 2 sockets( one the size of the bearing, just needs to be alittle smaller then the opening of the swingarm, the other socket needs to be big enough that the bearing fits into it) and a c-clamp. just put the smaller socket on the inside race of one side of the swingarm,.. the bigger socket on the outside race,.. and put the c-clamp on and press the 2 sockets togather,. do it just the opposite when you put them back togather. I dont know about a 300, but it shouldnt matter which way they come out, but id bring them to the outside, instead of pushing them in.

cdalejef
07-18-2002, 09:00 AM
There is a stop in there, they will not push all the way through. I use a small die grinder to make a split in the outer part of the bearing then take a small chisel and get under neath it and pry up. Do what yellow said to install the new ones.

motochris
07-19-2002, 03:28 AM
Well i got them out and back in. I had to break one bearing and slid a socket in the tube and knocked the other bearing out and vice versa the other bearing. I used some all thread and a bushing i had that was the same size as the bearing and welded a big washer on one end and used a nut on the other. I welded a little handle on the nut so i could turn it by hand. They went in smooth with little trouble. Thanks alot for the help guys. It was my first time and didn't want to break something. Thanks!!!