PDA

View Full Version : leaking water pump

MossboysRacing
02-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok, so i just tore the engine down to nothing and put it back together with new bearings and seals. I replaced the mechanical waterpump seal ( thanks to Beerock's post) along with the other seal on the impeller shaft. the engine is back in and i filled the up the radiator, and it started peeing out of the weep hole. I followed the clymer manual and everything is together right, but it still leaks. Im up for any idea's because im stumped.

HiperEX
02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
did u put new gaskets in, over tighten the bolts, theres also a crush washer on the drain bolt

matt250r21
02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
On the back of the waterpump impeller do you have the hard white plastic facing out contacting the hard black plastic of the waterpump mechanical seal?

beerock
02-20-2006, 11:59 PM
i hope you used the old seal for the impeller when you tightened it.

and the white part should be facing out like stated earlier.

did everything go smoothly when you followed the procedure?

if you overtightened the metal part when pressing it in you oculd have cracked the black bart that the white seal spins on.

corsses finger that didnt happen

MossboysRacing
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
ok so i took the the pump cover off and removed the impeller. i installed everthing right but found a tiny chunk missing out of the black flat surface that goes against the white plastic piece. the chunk is about the size of a ballpoint pen. i guess i didnt notice it after i installed it. also on a side note where should i add grease inside of the pump? i always add a little on the inside of rubber seals so not to damage them on installation, but i dont have to pack the pump do i? would that little chunk missing be my problem? thanks to everyone's replies.

matt250r21
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I think that small bit of missing black plastic is your problem. I never put any grease on the mechanical seal after a rebuild. Done about 5 with no problem this way.

beerock
02-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
ok so i took the the pump cover off and removed the impeller. i installed everthing right but found a tiny chunk missing out of the black flat surface that goes against the white plastic piece. the chunk is about the size of a ballpoint pen. i guess i didnt notice it after i installed it. also on a side note where should i add grease inside of the pump? i always add a little on the inside of rubber seals so not to damage them on installation, but i dont have to pack the pump do i? would that little chunk missing be my problem? thanks to everyone's replies.

use your finger and just rub the parts that spin with grease and the rubber seal that goes in the impeller.

when you press the seal in you have to be very careful to not overtighten it even with the tool if you over tighten it it will crack the blackish grey seal.

i think u might of tightened it to much.

supposedly the mechanical seals work from first install or blow/leak right away.