PDA

View Full Version : Inner Clutch Hub Tightening?

screaminta
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
OK so if any of you read my previous post I recently broke my inner clutch hub while trying to tighten it. What I did was stick a screwdrive in it and SNAP! broke one of the little thing that holds the springs on. Oh well you live you learn now I was wondering When I tighten it could I just just put it in gear and hold the rear brake down while torquing it to spec? I know I could use an impact and thats how i took it off, but I am real weird sometimes with torque values. So what do you all think about just holding the brake?

matt250r21
02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
When I do my motor I put 2 old friber/steel plates bolted together to lock the baskets togther. Then I put a 3/16 aluminum washer wedged between the basket gear and crank primary gear, use a little blue lock tight and torque down to specs, then bend the lock washer over. Been doing it that way for a few years with no problems. I have heard that this puts a lot of stress on the bearings though, but I have never had a problem.

screaminta
02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I would do what you are saying but I do not have any extra clutch plates and the ones that I currently have are relatively new. Anyone else for the brake idea? thanks

matt250r21
02-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Brake is not going to help you because your baskets are apart. The brake idea will work on other parts when your baskets are all bolted up.

GOTFEAR
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
AIR GUN 1/2in

beerock
02-20-2006, 11:58 PM
the inner hub has to be tightened to like 54 ft pounds, it the hardest bolt to tighten correctly.i have a spare metal plate i use with vise grips on it very tightly to tighten it.....

screaminta
02-21-2006, 05:41 AM
i dont understand why the brake thing wouldnt work? the inner clutch hub is connected to the transmission isnt it? I think i actually tightened it after i broke it by doing this i just want to make sure that this way is ok...oh yeah and Beerock thats for the help man