PDA

View Full Version : "Help"03 raptor tranny 2nd gear is gone

660rider0_3
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
ok guys im pretty pissed-off i just replaced my head thanks to a dumb *** shop of mine, they left the cam bolts loose and i had to buy a brand new head after the bolts flew through it.....not even a week later the swinger and axle went out....before i got the swing arm the barrings were so bad that when i got on the gas my whole alxe would move forward and the chain would jump...so i replaced the swingarm and the axle...I just put it together yesterday and took it for a ride and it started jumping all around and grinding in second...My craptor is an 03....i thought that yamaha took care of the tranny problems in 02.....im having nothing but problems here latly i need to know who makes the strongest gears and can I just buy 2nd gear................and whats the prices????Help me out guy and girls yall always do!!!!!!:mad: :scary:

Quad Boy 660r
02-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Every reliable source I know of said that Yamaha fixed that prob in 02 also.

If you bought it used, there is a good chance that the trans had been thouroghly screwed up BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER, or you if you bought it new. That is likely to be the problem. As for the bearings, that is something that will go out eventually, no matter what.(Not to be an smarta**, but you could have seen the play in the axle long before the bearings got to be that bad.)

Oh yeah, and I would check ebay. If you can find a decent 02 or newer trans, you could use that. Like I said, I am 99.9% sure that those probs were fixed. Hope some of that helped.

P.S. SCREW THAT SHOP.

tater_kamik
02-23-2006, 07:27 AM
it was fixed in 02. sounds like you need to pay a little more attention to maintenence because of the axle/ swinger (lube, checking play, etc) and you definately need to find a good, reputable shop. i used to have certain shops do some work for me, but i moved and could not find a shop that i trusted. so... i now do all of the work myself, and when i go home to sc, i take my quad back to the shop i trust.

660rider0_3
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
i keep up with my maintenence pretty good i didnt mess with the swinger and axle because the axle was so bent that it wouldnt have done any good.yea ive been doing all the rest of the work myself...what about gears though??who makes the best???and how much more would it be if i wanted different gears to put in to make it accel better??

tater_kamik
02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
i have assumed that the gears all the companies are selling are oem gears, so the companies that are selling them are not building them. the 02 and up have an improved gearing design to get rid of the excessively tall first and second, so by putting in the new gears you will have an better ratio. as for custom gears, i have no idea but my guess it cannot be cheap!