PDA

View Full Version : Basic Mods

wilkin250r
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Topics seem to run from one extreme to the other. Either rebuilding/repairing a stock LT80 for stock performance, or building an all-out national racer. While that's not bad, I'd like to get some advice in the middle-ground.

I've got a stock LT80 (actually, I have two of them, anybody looking to buy?). My daughter is learning to ride and having fun. Right now, she doesn't need anything more than the stock performance. However, she's going to progress before too long, and I'd like to be able to increase performance along with her skills, without going to an all-out national racer.

Strictly talking motor, what are my next upgrades? Pipe? Porting? Where in the world would I go to find "mild" porting?

161xchonda
02-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I think your first upgrade motor wise is a pipe. I am not sure who would do "mild" port and polish. You might want to try hetricks.

To make her quad more stable I would seriously think about putting wheel spacers on it because it is very narrow and pretty tipsy. It is not an engine mod of course but it could help her to get better and faster in the turns especially . My dad put wheel spacers on my sister's old lt80 and she felt a lot more comfortable riding it.

LT80
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
My 2 cents.
I agree on the width thing. ATV Racing (in Phoenix) makes a nice set of a-arms.
Beginner mods are : remove 2 rollers and shave the head .030. Going up a tooth or 2 on the front sprocket will help also.
After she gets used to a lil more umph and speed you can cut the rear clutch shoes down to 180 grams and get a Trinity pipe.
All this does not hurt anything for future building.

IMO there is no "mild" porting. Just a mild waste-o-cash! Some opinions will differ.
A rider with a lil expierience will find a real modded motor as friendly in the back yard as it is in the dunes or at the track.
Under weighting the front clutch is an easy de-tune/de-speed. :)

wilkin250r
02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Width is an easy one. She rode for all of an hour before I went wider.

I can handle suspension upgrades, but I don't know enough about these little motors to know what directions to take the motor. I know the basics and operation, but I don't know the little tips and tricks.

LT80
02-23-2006, 07:52 AM
well now ya do. :)