PDA

View Full Version : Removed my cams without being on TDC????

Yellow_ZRider
02-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Ok guys I'm a mechanically inclined person but I've never really worked on quads before. My '03 Z 400 had a ticking sound so I checked the valve clearances and they were in tolerance so I figured what the hell while I got it tore down I mize well do a little extra work and replace the cam chain since the cam chain tensioner was all the way extended. Everything was going fine till I realized I pulled the cams out and took the chain off while I wasn't at TDC, thought it was on TDC when I checked my valves. Ack I messed up now how do i get my engine back to TDC so I can put my new chain in??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IrideMHSC
02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
there should be a marking or a keyway that needs to be straight up .. i cant remember which one for sure.. but then all you ll have to do is put you cams back in right and make sure you have the right amount of rollers between were the arrows point on one to the other... i think its 15 rollers

kc 300EX
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
you need to take off the two small covers on the left side of the motor. One is a 17mm nut on your flywheel. You turn that until you see a line with a T next to it through the top hole. Thats TDC.

Yellow_ZRider
02-20-2006, 11:46 PM
kc 300ex those covers are off already because the engine had to be at TDC when i checked the valves clearances. there are 2 tdc's on a 4 stroke engine too.