PDA

View Full Version : 250ex wont start

True rider
07-17-2002, 10:40 AM
My 250ex wont start, this morning i go 2 crank it but it wont start some times it will run 4 a second then shut off i go 2 crank it some more then it wont even turn over the battery just makes a chattering sound and the neutral lights go dim. im freakin pissed:( any help would be apprieciated.:confused:

Stock98EX
07-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Charge your battery.

honda250
07-17-2002, 10:55 AM
charge battery make sure u have gas and make sure yur kill switch is off but check yur gas. iVe had gas in the tank but not enough. Look at your plug too make sure fairly clean and it is ok. umm thats all i can think of now

flaneledholes
07-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Check your starter selioned(sp) take something metal and hit the two metal things and see if it turns over... If so then you need one... Check your neutral saftey light mine went out on my old 300... If it is bad Post something and I will tell you how to ground the switch and then you can start in any gear instead of having to have it in neutral...

True rider
07-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Im charging the battery and nothing seems 2 work, i used engine start and it cranked 4 like a second then went back 2 chattering. Flaneledholes, i tapped the 2 metal things on the celenoid w/ a screwdriver and it doesnt turnover. I dont have any gas in the tank but that has nothing to do with it not turning over.

RUFIO
07-17-2002, 11:41 AM
tighten all the screws on the battery, that happend to me with da neutral light, after it was all tight, it worked great

True rider
07-17-2002, 12:33 PM
What bolts, the ones on the positive and negative terminals, I tried those but still nothing. THanks for the advice.

TRX250EXER
07-17-2002, 06:33 PM
start tracing all your wires. If it is chattering there is something wrong with the battery. You said it would crank sometimes for a minute and then stop. put some gas in her and see if it will fire. maybe the battery will charge back up. Maybe your battery is bad. does it hold a charge?

True rider
07-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Bad thing, I go to charge my battery but it says the batterie is charged. I dont know what 2 do but im takin it to the dealer for a valve job tommarow<sp> so i guess Ill let them take care of it:rolleyes:

Striker49
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Have you tried puttin the gas in it like everyone said? The reason it wont run is prolly cause its out. And check your spark plug, see if its clean and not filthy.

True rider
07-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Anyways, It doesnt have any gas and the spark plug is fouled (Black on the bottom and brown to the top and smells like gas)
but thats what makes the engine run my prob here is that the starter wont even give signs of life and my batterie charger says that the battery is charged but that pos is hard to tell anything anyways, do 250 or anything besides that spark plug have a little screw at the top in stead f being a little nob.? stupid question but.............:rolleyes: :confused:

Striker49
07-18-2002, 01:41 AM
I havent looked at my plug so I couldnt tell you any specifics but put a new plug in it, put some gas it er and see if she fires. The starter still may be the problem but it sounds like it could be one of several things. I would just do that first and see what happens then go from there.

Stock98EX
07-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Your battery is shorted it. It happened to me. Go get a new battery and viola, your up and running again. :cool:

True rider
07-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Anyways Im trien to get my parents to take me to the dealer so I can get her up and running again. THanks ffor all your help.

toby400ex
07-18-2002, 11:20 PM
why havent any of you guys said to clean the negative and positive connections on the battery, happened to my recon and my 300, i just cleaned the connections with a wire brush and it started right up. and after you clean it and hook everything back up spray it with wd40 or grease the connections so you dont have to clean it again and the connections wotn corrode.

400EXPIMP
07-19-2002, 06:58 AM
Just get a new battery, she's toast! Just because your tester says its charged doesnt mean its ok. Your battery plates have sulfated and lost their ability to produce cca's (cold cranking amps). It still has 12 volts because it can still hold that charge. Without enough cca's, your battery doesnt have the power to turn over the engine, but if its like you said, you turn it over twice and it clicks it means it doesnt have enough juice to do anymore. There's a test for it but the tester is really expensive, just get a new battery and save yourself the worry.

$$$moneyex
07-19-2002, 08:54 AM
lets think about this, it doesnt START, the STARTER doesnt show signs of life,umm......the starters probly gone bad. did any one even think of that. i wouldnt know what to look for in the starter but its the round thing on your engine that kinda looks like an oil filter.

and once you get it fixed let us know what the problem was so if someone elses does that we will know what to look for.