PDA

View Full Version : Ok I need advice here....

CranMan
10-01-2001, 04:54 PM
I put a FMF megamax on the old ex and it woke up pretty good all around. Then I put a K&N power kit on it. The instructions suggested a 170 main, plus I think 2 1/2 turns out on the air screw and put the needle clip in the middle spot. Ran like crap, too rich. Ive worked my way down to a 155 main and that's all I've adjusted. Bottom end and mid are awesome, but the top is flat. It just doesnt seem to pull past about 3/4 throttle. I've rode it and tried to evaluate it so much I don't know what to expect any more.

Two questions:
1. should it pull hard on top until it hits the limiter?
2. what should I screw with next?

:confused:

Guy400
10-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Same thing happened to Fourstrokefan's EX when I jetted his bike. Pulled great on the bottom and mid but would cut out horribly on top. Pull the lid off the airbox. I know you have a vented airbox but remove the lid anyway and see if that leans you out enough.

hotrodhonda400
10-01-2001, 07:07 PM
hey i too had 300 ex and i left the stock jetting alone, i had a mega maxII pipe and put ran 6 disks total..I ran 2 before the quiet core and 4 after it and it ran good, the plug read light brown or a tannish color so i left it alone ya might give it a try worked for me !;)

Wheelie
10-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Remove your airbox lid, a 155mj should be very close.

If it runs good in the lower gears and the top end is flat, you're too rich, the other way around and it's too lean.

CranMan
10-02-2001, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try it without the lid off.

But I still wonder how hard I should expect it to pull on the top end. I know the power curve probably starts to fall off some at the top of the rpm range.

But it does seem to flatten out alot on the top end, too much for my liking. Hopefully the air box lid removed will help :)