View Full Version : bringing the 440ex to life for spring

foxr
02-20-2006, 10:03 AM
i bought a 01 440 ex used in december and i am getting it ready for the spring, the sales man told me to go over the whole bike and make sure everything is in good shape and if not replace. ive pretty much got everything down except he told me i should be going over all the bushings/bearings and repacking them. my manual just says the balljoints, tierod ends, etc are all factory lubed and sealed up. am i supposed to just stay away from them untill they get worn out and just replace?

Also i have a aftermarket exhaust header and its a light brown/rusty color and looks pretty bad, would it be a bad thing to paint it? like use some high temp barbq paint or somthing?

i just adjusted the valves yesterday, changed the spark plug, and got mobil 1 10w4 MXT oil and a filter. if there is any other Major things that should be done please post.

04'400ex'er
02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Buy a little scotchbrite pad at your local hardware store or walmart and rub it all over the header. It will bring it back to the new shine it came with and look alot better than painted.

foxr
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
ok i will try out a scotchbrite pad

But no ones knows about the maint of the bushings/bearings on the quad?

coryatver
02-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Just pull out the bolts at all the joints and lube them up especially the swingarm pivot bolt becuase the sieze if you don't grease them up. Also pack the rear axle carrier with grease

foxr
02-23-2006, 08:53 AM
how often should it be done? and do i use Lithuim grease?

coryatver
02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I usaully do it every winter. Or whenever I have it apart. I just use whatever grease i got in the gun.