PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions.

Bighead1
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Ok I have been thinking about doin some motor mods to my 400 ex, you know just to get a little more power.
1. What about a rev box are they worth the 130 bucks? I heard that they effect cold starting, is this true?
2. Cams, do they give you that much more overall power, if I were to get one should I get a stage 1 or 2. Do I have to get anything else w/ the cam to make the motor run right?
3.Gears, if I wore to want a better top end should I drop a tooth or add one? Will the - or + tooth take that much out of my bottom end, b/c I like doing wheelies.
4. If I want a little more power but not a hole lot of noise, could I just order a hear(FMF) and it just hook up to the stock exhaust? Would I also have to rejet it, what number jets(140, 160..etc)? I can make it a little louder but will the header actually effect the sound?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

400exrules
02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bighead1
Ok I have been thinking about doin some motor mods to my 400 ex, you know just to get a little more power.
1. What about a rev box are they worth the 130 bucks? I heard that they effect cold starting, is this true?
2. Cams, do they give you that much more overall power, if I were to get one should I get a stage 1 or 2. Do I have to get anything else w/ the cam to make the motor run right?
3.Gears, if I wore to want a better top end should I drop a tooth or add one? Will the - or + tooth take that much out of my bottom end, b/c I like doing wheelies.
4. If I want a little more power but not a hole lot of noise, could I just order a hear(FMF) and it just hook up to the stock exhaust? Would I also have to rejet it, what number jets(140, 160..etc)? I can make it a little louder but will the header actually effect the sound?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1) rev box is not worth it IMO
2) cams are great/cheap power increase, they work well witha piston. stage 1 will add bottom end, old stage 2 adds mid-top, new stage 2 adds all around. if you dont want a piston, get a stage1...if you want a piston, get a stage 2 or 3, the piston will take care of bottom end.
3) front teeth play a larger part in gearing than rear. 1 tooth up front = 2-3 rear. down in front, up in the back = +acceleration, -top end. and vise versa. dropping a tooth up front will make wheelies noticably easier
4) Im not sure about powerbombs witha stock silencer, but the header will not affect the sound........if it does, it will be a very small amount. I would recommend a full system HMF with a quiet core.

Bighead1
02-20-2006, 05:19 AM
I appreciate the answers. Any body else have anything to add?
OH if I want a stage 2 new cam, what size piston should I go with, an oversize bore or stock?

sixer3
02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
- i got the alba cdi and i love it, i dont have cold starting problems at all....and i really think it did a lot

- i went with a stock bore just higher compression and a stage 2 cam--- this a did A LOT for the motor.....but it also depends on the hours on your motor you may need to bore it because of slight scuffing in the sleeve...

- with cam and or pipe you will need jets, and an air-filter if you dont have one....

- why does everyone ask what size jet they will need.....jets are effected by a lot fo things

altitude, pipe, cam, valve, plug, air-box lid, filter, carb......so many different things go into it, you will need to find out yourself....by following the jetting article closely

good luck

Bighead1
02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks man I appreciate it.