PDA

View Full Version : Shifting with new boots..

ecooke21
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I rode for the first time today with my new boots(fly Talon)..I cant get my boot under the shifter..I tried adjusting it up, but that didnt do much good..I have an aftermarket shifer (ims). Will the boots fit undr the shifter after they break in?.. a guy I ride with said his boots dont fit under his shifter, he shifts with the toe of his boot(the metal)..Any opinions?

I understand I have to get used to boots, but this was bad..I have always shifted with the top of my foot/toes..not the very tip of my toes..I basically was just lifteng my foot up hoping I was shifting into a higher gear..

Jake250ex
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
walk around in them for a while.

i advise doing it as you ride, pretend your quad broke down or something so you dont look like a jackleg walking around in riding boots.

coolex
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
do u have nerf bars

Mxjunkie
02-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I moved mine really high, I can shift so much better now with boots, I cant stand having it low now.

Hon300ex
02-19-2006, 07:01 PM
try sittin up further on the seat when the quad isnt running and just mess around with what position is easiest for you. then sit where you normally ride and go from there. its very hard to get used to shiftin with boots. i lift my whole foot up normally to just because its easier.

400exrules
02-19-2006, 07:13 PM
im not used to my boots yet. they piss me off. I have to look down to shift cuz i cant feel if im even under the shifter or not. Ive gotta get used to these things, once i put them on i feel all stiff legged, like i cant bend my feet or ankles at all.

ecooke21
02-19-2006, 07:14 PM
My shifter hits my front sprocket cover if I adjust it to where I need it. so It can only go up alittle bit, not nearly enough to notics a diference..BTW, I have a size 11 boot, nothing abnormal about that.

I have propegs

I am hoping that the ankle will soften up after break in, so I can slip my foot under the shifter? Is that true?

thanks so far guys!

400ex28
02-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Adjust your shift lever

02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Walk around your house in the boots for like day. They just need to be broken in.

aci clay
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah i just a new pair of beriks and i'm having the same problem, they just need broke in, my astars took some time also. i figure a couple more rides and i'll be good.

troutman561
02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
New boots suck.. i have size 14's and its incredibly difficult to shift aggressivly(sp) good luck gettin used to them tho..

02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
I have Talons too. They dont give much even after being broken in. I moved my shifter way up.

QuadJunkies
02-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I had FLY boots but has to change brands cause I just simply could not move in them. Fly's are a Love/Hate relationship with your foot and shifter. I like protection, but I have to have some movement also .

prepracing
02-19-2006, 08:03 PM
practice riding and shifting...the riding boots aren't made to bend like shoes. You just have to get used to it, you can adjust your shifter a little but, if you practice you'll see you have to slide back a little on the peg so the toe of the boot can get under the shifter, you may have to change your riding position where you sit on your seat also. I wear a 13 riding boot and use to always ride in Rocky boots before I ever started racing and it was a HUGE difference. It took me a long time to ever get used to my riding boots....now their the only thing that I can ride in and feel comfortable shifting :devil:

QuadJunkies
02-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
practice riding and shifting...the riding boots aren't made to bend like shoes. You just have to get used to it, you can adjust your shifter a little but, if you practice you'll see you have to slide back a little on the peg so the toe of the boot can get under the shifter, you may have to change your riding position where you sit on your seat also. I wear a 13 riding boot and use to always ride in Rocky boots before I ever started racing and it was a HUGE difference. It took me a long time to ever get used to my riding boots....now their the only thing that I can ride in and feel comfortable shifting :devil:

My tip of my boot BARELY would fit under the shifter ... :scary:
I personally have to have a little flex/bend at the ankle. I found another boot and suits my needs and simply love them .
I know others who wear Fly and dont have nay complaints. I think its basically on preferance and comfort-we all vary on that ;)

I too have large feet and having big feet sucks :(:o

NacsMXer
02-19-2006, 09:16 PM
This is all very normal with new boots. My Tech 8's were a little stiff on the first couple of rides. I just bumped up the shifter a notch and that seemed to help a bit. New boots will feel a bit "foreign" at first though, just the nature of the beast. You may feel all clunky and sloppy in the shifting, but your boots are still breaking in. Walking around the pits and what not helps a lot to break them in, but the best way i've found, is actual riding. Just give them some time to work in and you should be good to go :cool:

02-20-2006, 06:03 AM
i never had a problem...bend the shiftrt out so that it doesn't hit your case and move it higher...

coolex
02-20-2006, 01:40 PM
lower the net on you nerf bars

Evana13
02-20-2006, 01:53 PM
YOU GUYS KNOW WAT BIG FEET MEANS RIGHT

BIG SOCKS LMAO :devil:

red rider88
02-20-2006, 02:05 PM
i soak mine in water for an half hour or so thn walk around in them and ride while there still wet it helps alot

bwamos
02-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I removed the shifter from the spline and rotated it up about an inch or so. Did wonders for shifting.

I had to heat and bend the shifter out a little so it wouldn't hit the stator cover though. But, I'm sure it was bent in some to begin with.

QuadJunkies
02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Evana13
YOU GUYS KNOW WAT BIG FEET MEANS RIGHT

BIG SOCKS LMAO :devil:

HAHA! I thought you was gonna say big boobs.. :p