PDA

View Full Version : Twist or Thumb ?

250R4EVR
02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Just wondering what people think about running a twist throttle on quads? Ive got a 250r and i was tossing around the idea of buying one. The entire no more Thumb throttle idea just makes music to my ears. Good Idea or bad, Gimmie some Thoughts.

FoxRacing81
02-19-2006, 06:49 PM
I can use both. I use a thumb now, but used a twist on my Warrior when I had it. I liked both. I am slightly better with thumb, but that's only because I rode my 426 more then my Warrior. Some say twists are bad for quads because when you turn, your wrist wants to turn also, and it can make you give it full throttle when you may not want to. I didn't find a problem with this, however.

Just try it. It will take some time to get used to, but you may like it.

-Justin

400ex28
02-19-2006, 06:50 PM
either

Mxjunkie
I'm a twist only guy, I cant ride thumbs at all.. more control with a twist and you dont have to worry about your thumb dyin on ya and getting tired.

2004exrider
Make sure to get completely used to it before you start doing any real riding. Other than that i love mine, although i had a nice accident with it a couple days later:o

Jimmy

BlasterEaten250
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I have both and I like the thumb better. to me I just have more control, I guess its just personal preference.

Racing Rice
02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I hated the twist throttle, it felt weird as hell when I jumped. I'll never put another one on an ATV. Thats just my opinion though.

coolex
02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
i ahve also been toying with the isea cuz i can ride twist on dirt bike but it will deffidly take time to get used to

400exrules
02-19-2006, 07:08 PM
thumb, my thumb doesnt get real tired

250R4EVR
02-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeh, i was just toying with the idea. Just the thought of a twist throttle on a quad would b bad @$$. Watch ill buy one and it will pry put me in the hospital.

Mxjunkie
02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
When you switch, give it a days worth of riding to get use to before you take it off. People dont even give them a chance half the time, its a shame imo.

250R4EVR
02-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Yea ill deffently Take it slow. Just gotta wait for this weather to break. Honestly it was 50 degrees the other day. Last night it was 2. This can only happen in michigan. i seriously wanna pull my hair out.

coolex
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
actually that weather can happen in new england to

250R4EVR
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
I dono, Honestly though how can it be Over 50 one day and then 2 the next. Thursday was Crazy warm and Saterday was umm Frezzzing. Poor R would die in this cold.

TheFontMaster
02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
I have always had a twist on my quads. I bought my first quad with a twist, so it's just what I learned on and got used to. But a couple weeks ago after riding my friends predator for about 30 minutes it really got me hating the thumb throttle when the snow got really rutted and choppy. I nearly got thrown off the quad because I couldn't hold on to the handlebars as good. With the twist you have a more solid grip on the bars.

250R4EVR
02-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Yea thats what i was thinking. You have your entire hand on the handel bars. Should have a lot more control. Looks like im making a run to the Store to buy the kit . . .

dober250R
02-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I have a built 265R and I have both..... When I go to the dunes, I use the twister, when i'm on the mx track, I have to use the thumb, because when i jump, I don't jump that well, and I twist the throttle wide open........ After I get more experience with the twist, I'll just stick to it. I haven't had that much seat time with the twister yet. I haven't given up on it yet:D

HondaRacer300ex
02-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Twist?:huh

Thumb throttle..For sure.

jonc623
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
it depends on what you like my old r i had twist on it and raced xc with it didnt seem to get arm pump my 440 has thimb and i dont like it much get cramped up more the big thing on a quad is wheelies
you tend to slide back on seat ans sometimes open throttle up more with twist just takes getting used to

bwamos
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I like Twist for MX/TT/Dune/Drag

I dont have the skills to use it in XC racing.. lol. Only being able to use the "uh oh" grip on one hand really sucks.. lol. Trying to ride XC on a twist wears me out before the end of the first lap. Can't even pull the clutch in anymore because you have to do twice the work with your left hand.

For example dropping off of a 5ft ledge into a creek bed. With a thumb throttle you can grip with both hand on the landing. However, with a twist you can only hang on with 1 hand, because if you grip/brace with the right hand when you land your gonna goose the throttle, and that's bad.. lol. It's like riding a bull.

NacsMXer
02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Funny thing I can ride with twists on bikes no problem, yet they feel extremely ackward on every quad i've ridden with them.

So twists feel natural on a bike to me, but they do not on a quad. From that, you can tell the ergos on a bike are completely different from that on a quad.

On the MX track, I tried taking my friend's 265R with a twist out and it plain old sucked. I felt like I had no control over the quad. On the other hand with a thumb, I can ride much much harder and more aggressively. I find myself riding more timidly with a twist on a quad.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I have not been a die-hard twist user all my life so of course it will feel foreign on a quad. I still find it funny though that I can use them on bikes no problem and am completely used to them yet the same is not true for quads. Out in the wide-open dunes, a twist is no prob on a quad. But a whooped-out MX track is a death wish IMO.

K-Dub
02-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Thumb. When I rode bikes I woulda loved to have a thumb on them also. To me having a solid grip on both side is just easier to hold on, especialy when your falling of the back trying to pull yourself back on, or your out of control in a set of whoops, it just gives you better control. In my opion.

pastfast125
02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I think I'm gonna get a twist too..cuz I ride dirtbikes a lot, and I love having a twist throttle, so I'll try it out on the quad.

161xchonda
02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
I am the exact same as Mxjukie. I am a twist only guy. I ride dirtbikes just as much as I do quads. My thumb gets so weak when I use a thumb throttle. I rode the High Point National on my TRX 90 one year and was going around the track giving the quad the gas every way possible. It was insane. Needless to say I have not used a twist throotle since that time. I could probably never race or ride with a thumb throttle again. I would put on a twist throttle on a stock quad before anything else.

When my dad raced for factory Honda on the GNCC circuit back in the 80's and 90's he was one of the first ever people to have a thumb throttle on a 250R. His best friend put it on as soon as soon as the 250R made it to the states. My dad says that they had just taken it to the motorcycle/quad shop he used to work at and his best friend put it on without him even knowing. He can use a thumb throttle or twist throttle but prefers the twist.

JRP
02-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Funny thing I can ride with twists on bikes no problem, yet they feel extremely ackward on every quad i've ridden with them.

So twists feel natural on a bike to me, but they do not on a quad. From that, you can tell the ergos on a bike are completely different from that on a quad.

On the MX track, I tried taking my friend's 265R with a twist out and it plain old sucked. I felt like I had no control over the quad. On the other hand with a thumb, I can ride much much harder and more aggressively. I find myself riding more timidly with a twist on a quad.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I have not been a die-hard twist user all my life so of course it will feel foreign on a quad. I still find it funny though that I can use them on bikes no problem and am completely used to them yet the same is not true for quads. Out in the wide-open dunes, a twist is no prob on a quad. But a whooped-out MX track is a death wish IMO.

i agree... i had a twist on my 450r but it was jus too hard to get used to... ii felt like i had no control over the quad.. thumb throttle all the way!:macho

250R4EVR
02-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Im just thinking it would be so much better. No more annoying thumb pains. If it works on a dirtbike im tihnking it will work on a Quad. Ill just give it a few days to get use to before i start tring sum crazy stuff.
So, whos got a twist throttle they wanna sell me lol :blah:

Jakeyracer
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
i like the thumb throttle but if you are worried about thumb soreness put s layers of fleece in or on your thumb of the glove it works for me a lot:D my friend told me to get a twist throttle (yea he dose ride dirtbike) and i can barely stand them on dirtbikes it just doesnt feel right on take offs with a clutch and twist throttle and my wrist and shoulder get tired faster with those but i guess sum people like it and i dont mind if they do whatever feels good to you its your quad

400EXtreme
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
i like both. But if i had to choose 1 it would be thumb.