PDA

View Full Version : 250r porting questions! need help ASAP

Wired
07-16-2002, 10:52 PM
hey my brother's 250r was ported and polished and was ported for high end (this is what the guy we bought it from told us) with a paul turner high rev pipe. well he's sick of having no bottom end power after riding my 416ex since i got it together. well our real question here is do we have to get a new cylinder and get it ported for mid range or can we have the cylinder we have now reported for mid. or doesnt porting matter for mid and high??? what i mean is, is a port job a all around deal or is it precise motor work? and does it have any effect on where the power band hits at all? i guess i dont know much about porting. maybe would a new pipe and a cool head put on it really wake that beyatch up? the thing flies right now and has gobs of power, but its all high end torque. you cant come flyin out of corners unless you got the tires spinning, theres no gradual power curve on this bad boy. its all or nothing. well hopefully some of you guys can make some sense out of this and help my brother out with his question. thanks for everyone that responded :macho

jon

Pappy
07-16-2002, 11:23 PM
hey...if its been ported for top end ya cant go back. might be some other things to help but i doubt it. esr330 kit would be nice!!!:)

Wired
07-17-2002, 11:57 AM
would a reed spacer help put some mid end grunt in the engine or dont they help that much? maybe i should just leave the pipe but try other things...

Pappy
07-17-2002, 12:51 PM
check on the reed spacer...it may help

NJ300ex
07-17-2002, 12:52 PM
I don't know if this would help or not but what about gearing it down with a smaller countershaft sprocket?

Just a thought.

patrick delao
07-17-2002, 01:03 PM
they were right if you get top end porting you can't go back but you can get a different pipe to give you more low end. the rev pipe is a top end pipe only.

Wired
07-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by patrick delao
they were right if you get top end porting you can't go back but you can get a different pipe to give you more low end. the rev pipe is a top end pipe only.

excellent, i think we might give that a shot, along with the reed spacer. im thinking of the paul tuner eliminator pipe, its suppose to be close to the high rev but gives you more of a broad range of powerband from low mids to high. not sure what i'll do though, do any of you guys have any ideas on what pipe i should get? preferably not an FMF, ive had nothing but bad luck with that company and i wish to stay away from them. thanks

jon

Tommy 17
07-17-2002, 04:15 PM
i'd look into a lrd adjustable so u can adjust it to more low end if u need it...

Wired
07-17-2002, 04:18 PM
wheres a good place to get LRD components? ive also thought about that pipe too, heard alot of good things. i think im going to put a new cr250 reed cage with a 1/4 spacer though for sure. ive talked to a few guy and they all seem to be running the cr250 reed cages.

T-R-X
07-17-2002, 05:07 PM
If i only knew you were looking for an LRD pipe and silencer- at my races(neatv) Nacs was selling pipes and silencers for 250r's. I got a pipe, silencer, and seal(for the silencer and the pipe) for 150$!! and the pipe IS MINT! the silencer just needed some polishing. Call up nacs and ask if they have any left!

TRX250EXER
07-17-2002, 06:26 PM
my buddy has the same setup as you. that is y he is getting a powervavled cylinder. they spread the powerband out and gives it a lot of low end torque but still has the power up high too. it comes with what ever porting you want and a bunch of other goodies. Too bad it costs 3000 dollars

holeshot19
07-17-2002, 07:22 PM
take the head off use a stocker with a cr head gasket or a cool head with a 18cc dome. if you have a stock pipe try it. but when most people port those to run top end they raise the top of the exaust port to change the port timeing. and usually you cant do much with that.if is a good top ender u should be able to get some one a stocker. if is a 86 cly those are real high dollar but if its a 87 up u should be able to pick one up. ive bought 4 cly off ebay and at one time la sleave was selling those 310 cly for 600 dollars

nakomis0
07-17-2002, 07:27 PM
I think a low end pipe would be a good idea too.

Hey Wired, does he have his head millled at all?

Wired
07-17-2002, 08:56 PM
yep the head was milled but i think he was talking about getting a cool head for it anyways. its an 86 engine and cylinder also.

bama400ex
07-17-2002, 10:23 PM
im not a 2 stroke expert but i dont know how it will run with top end porting and a bottom to mid pipe. it will probally bring the bottom back some more though maybe. it think the best bet would be to get a new cylinder and have it ported. maybe sell the other one here or ebay. of course the pipe will be cheaper, but will it still have the toggle switch power band? 2 stroke porting and engine building is very complex so its probally not a good idea to mix and match parts that are not suppose to work together. but with the price of parts id probally just try a different pipe myself to and maybe it will run aight. www.macdizzy.com is a good source to learn about 2 strokes.

Evan
07-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Wired I had the same problem as you. I bought a pro circuit pipe that is good for bottomend, it didnt help. I have heard the spacers are not a wise investment, they dont help that much and make it a pain to install the carb. I sent my motor to ESR to see what he could do with it but most likley I will have to get a new cyl.

airheadedduner
07-19-2002, 07:49 PM
i wanted low end so i had a ct 295 kit put in. everything, including labor, parts, piston, and gaskets will only set you back about $450.