PDA

View Full Version : 300ex axle nut problem

ChubbyEXby300
02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
is it me or is the 300ex axle nut a B**** to to get off. Im trying to change my axlecarrier bearings, and this is the 3rd time ive done this( not on the same bike) and the first time i did it it was hard to get off, the 2nd time it was easy as cake and now that im doing it on my 2005 300ex its not wanting to come off.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

I really want to ride so please hurry

bwamos
02-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Since it's your 3rd time, I'd assume you are turning it in toward your bearing carrier? ;)

Just had to make sure. :)

Is you're axle bent at all? If it is, it can be a real pain to get off. If not, spray some penetrating oil on the threads and let it sit a while.

300ex_#387
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Are you talking about loosening the nut, or actually sliding it off? Some people have trouble sliding them off. If thats your problem just take a file and file around where the c-clip goes and it should slide right off...

humblesquirel21
02-19-2006, 06:14 PM
when i went to take mine off it wouldnt come at all
the axle (if im not mistaken) is made out of hardend steel hardend steel is ver hard to break or bend but it will swell with enough presure on one point (espicaly with soemtihng like circle clip) it forces the metal to bulge alittle or swell
to get mine off i had to get the nut as far as i could away from the spot were the circle clip goes and jsut grind down ever so little the ridge that was created by the swelling of the metal

thats what happend to mine but mine was alot older 03 and i just took it off a a week or two ago

ChubbyEXby300
02-20-2006, 03:20 PM
well i was really pissed that it wasnt coming off. so *** soon as i made the thred in the forum i went out side and worked on the 300. I actually realized that is i took very fine emory cloth(metal sand paper) and wrapped it aroung the axle where the c clip goes i cound very finely decrease the lip that held the axle nut in place.

bwamos
02-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Ahh.. yea been a long time. I had to do that to my stock axle when I replaced it. I'd imagine it's very common with all of the side pressure on that clip.

humblesquirel21
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
thats was my diagnosis to accept mine had been on there for 3 years of constat hard riding