PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vs 400LTZ

exboomer
02-19-2006, 07:41 AM
I am looking to buy a new quad. Either a ex or ltz. I don't race and mostly ride trails and the dunes a couple times a year. I am looking for opinions on both these quads and what I would expect to pay OTD. Do the new model Suzuki's still have frame problems?? The dealer is quoting $5,200 otd for the Honda and $5,599 otd for the Suzuki. Thanks

HondaRacer300ex
02-19-2006, 07:59 AM
The new models do NOT have the frame problems.

One word:
z400

Titanium
02-19-2006, 10:26 AM
get the LTZ 400. those extra 400 bucks will be worth it!

Holsh
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
get the LTZ 400. those extra 400 bucks will be worth it!

I agree you wont be disapointed with the LTZ 400

CFRacer03
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Yea, I've owned multiple both bikes in the past, I'd recommend the Z

HondaRider250
02-19-2006, 08:23 PM
DEFNITELY the z. my cousins got an ex and it dont even compare to my kfx. if i were u id go with the kfx cause lime green looks better than yellow

HondaRacer300ex
02-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by HondaRider250
DEFNITELY the z. my cousins got an ex and it dont even compare to my kfx. if i were u id go with the kfx cause lime green looks better than yellow

umm no it doesnt:huh

42F67N
02-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm partial to the blazin orange kfx400s:D

tar
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
lime green kfx's don't look that great untill you put a K&K flame graphics kit

by the way both fourwheelers are really nice just get the one you feel most comfortanle on

CHEVYZ
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
The Z is slightly faster on the top, and it comes with newer technology. Some actually prefer the more simple stuff ( Especially those that are new to these types of machines and aren't as experienced), less things to break, makes it less complicated, ect.- on the same note, some find the improvements essential, and a change for the better is never a " Downfall". The Z comes with a greater engine... it is going to have more pep in stock form... modified, both will serve well. The Z has a taller stance, though it has better suspention componets.... as said, sitting on them and choosing is a big factor. The feels are different, so, if you aren't comfortable on one, chances are the other will suit you well. The Z, because it has so many clones, will come in more " Shapes and forms", so you have more options if you care any about looks. To be honest, because of what you are doing, both will suit you well, so it is really personal taste. Just as another thing of my opinion... don't worry about the extra cash you pay on the Suzuki. If you like it more, it will be worth it.... not to mention the fact that the Z comes with SOME better componets stock for stock so don't let the higher price tag fool you.

I guess that is just my opinions ( LOL, and some facts) on both...... now go out and get one!

Rockrae
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
buddy and his wife have the 04 and 05 400ex 04 has lrd pipe and jet kit and my buddies z-400 when it was all stoke was walking away with it. Book shows the z has like 10 more ponies which takes jet kit & pipe just to try to put out the same horsepower the cheapest you would be able to find that for is at least 400-500 dollars and still be slower than the z-400 stock----I love my 03 z-400 and would not be on the slow honda personally

IrideMHSC
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
im kinda partial to the white plastic myself lol... its just classy :D

jaredZ400rider
02-20-2006, 07:23 PM
i love my Z for trail riding. its also really comfortable to ride all day. i say go with the Z

STF
02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
i recomened the kfx 400 orange i love mine

93MX6LSV6
02-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree with the other guy, you have to sit on the quads to see which you would like best. Before I bought my KFX my choice was between the Yellow LTZ400, White LTZ400, Orange KFX400, Green KFX400, White/Silver/Black YFZ450, Blue/White YFZ450 or a 700r Raptor. I have owned a TRX450R and although the power was awesome, I hated the kick start and hated not having reverse. So I went in saying I must have electric start and was thinking about the YFZ just because of it being so fast. I sat on the YFZ and said NO! That bike just doesn't sit very well for a recreational rider. Sat on the Z and KFX and I fell in love. The 700r Raptor was also very nice since the stance was lower than the 660. But I have never been fond of buying a first year quad, ESPECIALLY on that is fuel injected and had so many problems when it first came out with tranny's and starter's. So I then I had to choose a color. The Yellow Suzuki was just not my style, I liked the White one but it would show dirt too bad. I couldn't stand the Green KFX so Orange it was!!! I love my quad now and just did my 10 hour service about 15 minutes ago. So far so good!

Stephen

KoolKwad400
02-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by IrideMHSC
im kinda partial to the white plastic myself lol... its just classy :D

Like this?

02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
more like this:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/FMKTB-june400left.jpg

here is my thought and people may call me biased because i own a honda, but so are all the 'zuki clone owners.

go with the 400ex, there is not that much of a difference in the 2...ran against a few of the clones and none were really any faster than me..all about equal riders and equal weight. the liquid cooling is a plus, but is it worth 400 dollars? to me it is not

then again the best advice would be to test ride botha nd make the decision for yourself...if you are more comfy on the ex, then that is the bike for you. the same goes with the ltz.

when i was in the market for a new quad few years ago, i test rode the 2nd new ltz that my local dealer had. i was coming from a 300ex and was lookign to go to the 400s. i had ridden my friends 400ex and was a little uncomfortable on it as you tend to sit more in it, but it seemed to handle much better than my 300ex. the 300ex seemed to sit higher and felt tippier if i had to describe the difference. when i test rode the ltz, i felt exactly like it was my 300ex with some more ummph. i wanted something different than that. although the ex was alittle more uncomfortable, i felt i could go faster on it. i was still undecided though...then my friend whose 400 i had ridden a few times told me he was selling it, at a good price. he hardley ever rode it. i bought it from him. it did not take me long to get used to the different feel...just like it is not going to take me long to get used to a 450r in a week or two.

liv2race
02-23-2006, 08:35 AM
the z400 its alot better at everything than a 400ex

chigger
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Ive got a little experience with a z and alot of experience with an ex. I wouldnt say one has "better" power than the other. The 400ex has got more low end grunt than the z. The z seems to have a stronger top end, but stock for stock in a drag, it comes down to the rider. The new z has better suspension than the ex. The z also has liquid cooling. The advantage of this is disputable. The 400ex is the most reliable sport quad ive been on besides the warrior. If you just want a reliable sport quad that wont let you down and has good power for the trails and play riding, the 400ex cant be beat. Its simple and easy to work on, and you can beat on it all you want without problems. The z would be my choice if i was a little more performance minded. You can mod it to race mx or xc and still be competetive with the 450s. You are getting better shocks and liquid cooling for that 400 bucks. The cooling can be seen as another thing to go wrong if your just a trail rider, but its nice if you ride hard in tight trails.

HondaRacer300ex
02-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Still debating this?

Why? The Z is better, case close.:p

SWIFT
02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I was in the same boat and got a z400. It felt better and stronger and it was cheaper. No brainer for me.

CFRacer03
02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
as said in my earlier post, I've owned several Z engines and a few EX motors also. just another fact about the differences in engines. yes, stock for stock they run about even, but the Z motor has A LOT newer technology therefore it has a lot more potential to gain more power. like chigger said, if you are planning on doing any racing or any engine modifications you can get a lot more power out of the Z.

To me, and to most, the Z is a much more "ridable" quad, as the seat design, and layout of the bars, seat, nerfs, etc. allow a racer to get down on each side and control the qaud a lot better. obviously everybody won't agree with that, but I would say most people that have actually had A LOT of seat time on both bikes would agree with that.

450rJam
02-26-2006, 05:55 PM
buy the suzuki and win by a nose vs stock ex. or buy the honda and never have to do anything to it but have fun. there is a reason there are a million 400ex's still running strong. honda is the poster child for quality. oh if you buy the z you wont be first at the drags unless there are only stock 400ex's. most are modded from mild to wild. and with all the 450's and 700's and 500 pred. etc. drag racing a z400 wont be your claim to fame. and the same is true of the 400ex. (if you havnt been beat your only one race from it ) ............all in all either will provide you with countless hours of adrinalin filled joy.

Bigun55
03-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Id take a 400ex over a Z ANYTIME. My buddy has 1 and its been nothing but trouble with it all the time. His is a 2004 and he's put a timeingchain in it 4 times now and had to get new rings in it all the times also. And he's not no harder on his Z then i am my EX. And i Ride my ex alot more than he rides the Z and i ride mine harder. Between the two i would get the EX... But if i was going and buying a new one I would just get a 450R or the New Z 450.

450rJam
03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
yes my friend has a z and had a few problems, bent axle and frame cracks , he may be a little hard on the landings also.

ATRider
03-04-2006, 11:25 PM
You really need to test ride them both. I own a 400ex and my buddy has an Ltz. It depends on what you like the powerband is totally different to me on the two. The ex is more torquey, top speed they are pretty even. When we race its all about who gets the best take off. The ex has a slight advantage when it comes to handling, and reliability. The ltz does have a more comfortable feel. You really should test them both. Its all about what YOU like. You can't go wrong either way.

DOHC
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
400ex, the ltz400 my be liquid and faster but the 400ex will take you to hell and back and will probly still not break down, and plus the 400ex has a stronger frame. Unless ur drag racing the ltz 400 isnt much better i mean my friend has a 2005 400ex and its got lots of bottom end pull. just my imput

smaze05
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
what all regular maintence do u have to do z. I'm thinking about getting one and wondering if im goin to have to work on it all the time dealing w/ stuff I may change my mind.

TRFOXX
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I have both machines and i like them both but lets not forget that the Z has REVERSE!!!

450rJam
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
some people like the reverse..........My first atv (91 trx250x) had reverse and I used it at times, but then i got a 250r and now a 450r and the reverse is not missed at all. there is usually a hill or tree trunk you can run the front up on and roll back. or just hit the gas and swing your @ss.

DOHC
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TRFOXX
I have both machines and i like them both but lets not forget that the Z has REVERSE!!!
so does the 400ex!!!! (2005 and newer)

440exking
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
If you ride hard go with the ex cause a Z cant handle in they break all the time when the Z is broke and you dont have money to fix it ull be wishing ugot the ex.My friend has a stock 05 that beat my other friends 04 Z with a CT pipe jet kit and K&N filter

For 400 buck i could get any ex to beat any Z

Crazy lil punk
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
how good r the 400ex shocks? r they tht much differnt from the z? cuz i need good shocks, im 230 pounds and i need a bike thts not gonna bottom out when i jump. thanks

chigger
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
05 and newer zs will have better suspension than the 400ex. The newer z suspension can be modified to better suit your weight. The 400ex suspension is stuck the way it is till they wear out. Stock the shocks on both machines are probably valved for someone around 180-190 lbs.

nozerider
05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Wrong bro, the EX has fully adjustable rear shock too.

LittleMissE
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
The z400 they are alot of fun in the dunes(even stock)!!!! They are really confortable on the trails expecailly with the big seat in the back...the dvx400 is a little more unconfortable at first until you get use to it.

Chad W
05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Take a ride on each... the Z will be what you buy. Not trying to knock the EX, it is a good bike, but the Z is more up to date.

400exMO
05-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Try posting this in the 400ex section and not a single reply will go for the Z.

I'm not biased, I would prefer the ex. It feels more comfortable, lighter, and manueverable. Yes the Z does have newer updated parts, but the ex will last forever. Buy a used 400ex and put aftermarket parts on it.

And I will agree, the number one thing to do is to sit on both and try to test drive them. That will tell you the most.

d33pt
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I have both. Both are 04's and stock. It would be hard for me to decide if i had to get rid of one. Here's what I think.

Z is a bit faster, seems to handle better, even though both have basically the same shocks. I haven't adjusted anything yet though, so i probably need to dial in the EX's rear shock. I prefer this in the open desert

I like to ride EX in the tight trails. It lugs down low and I don't have to play with the clutch as much as the Z. I also like the fact that it's known for reliability. No reverse in the trails does suck though.

At heart I'm a Honda guy, but I don't think i'll get rid of my Z.

chigger
05-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by nozerider
Wrong bro, the EX has fully adjustable rear shock too.

No, Im sure the 05 and newer zs have piggyback fronts. They can be revalved with new springs to perform very well. The front shocks on the ex cant be rebuilt and have no ressies. :p

nozerider
05-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I never mentioned the Z....so I don't know what that has to do with it.

Topic creator- make sure the dealer changes your water pump cover, or prepare to have the coolant melt its way into your oil.

MoToX199
05-21-2006, 07:54 AM
the z/kfx is way better, i used to own both and i actualy sold my 400ex to get my dvx,i mean dont get me wrong i loved my 400ex to death,i had ZERO problems with anything,it was just a great bike,but then when i hoped on my friends z,omg is was a night and day differnece,the ride,the feel of the quad,the suspension all fealt ten times better then my 400ex,also i felt that the 400e kinda sat a lil low for my liking so the higher stance that the z/kfx,dvx have is alot nicer JMO,also they can both be easily moded but think of it this way i had a pipe on my 400ex when i first got it and i raced my friands z which was stock besides tires,and he beat me,and after the race i rode his z and it just felt like my 400 with the pipe,but his quad was stock so imgaine putting a pipe on the z and it would be ten times better,just your goin to have to spend more money to get the 400ex to where the z is,and i know most people dont liek to have to spend money if they dont have to lol,and if looks are a issue for you then there many types of z "clones" out there,for instance you have the z,kfx,and dvx so you can choose from dif colors,and plastic stlyes,either way when it comes down to the end there both great quads just the z has the last edge over the 400ex,if you got any questions i would be glad to answer them for ya;)

K400EX&A250EX
05-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I have had both EXs and a Z (still have the Z) and I would get the Z. I think that it is an overall better bike for what you say you will be using it for.

DOHC
05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
ive sat on my friends z and its tight i prefer the 400exs extra room and who cares if the 400ex is outdated i think theres a reason why honda didnt change anything they didnt have to why change something thats already great

MerrellR89
05-23-2006, 09:33 PM
U guys are crazy, you can get so much more power out of a Z, plus it's liquid cooled. The ex is like the only racer without liquid cooling. Sounds pretty sweet to me... not! I also prefer the Z's T-shape seat, when you want to lean in on a turn you actually still have some padding under you instead of sitting on the fender. I've rode both, but it's just my opinion, ride what you want, how you want... but I ride suzuki

450rJam
05-24-2006, 04:32 AM
make a list of pros and cons of each and choose

zuki honda
pros pros

h2o cooled proven dependable
good power tons of aftermarket
reverse reverse (04 and up)

cons cons
weak frame air cooled
weak axles no reverse (03 down)
ugly (lol)

this is just an example and a way for me to entertain myself for
a few min.

YFZ450Ridr
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 440exking
If you ride hard go with the ex cause a Z cant handle in they break all the time when the Z is broke and you dont have money to fix it ull be wishing ugot the ex.My friend has a stock 05 that beat my other friends 04 Z with a CT pipe jet kit and K&N filter

For 400 buck i could get any ex to beat any Z

and for 400 bucks i could make any z beat a 400ex...

what you just said is a load of crap. i ride my 400 for what its worth and race harescrambles with it. no issues with mine what so ever and its a 2003. im guessing you know somebody that didnt take care of thier z400 and it broke alot, and now you think that a 400ex is so much better because of OPERATOR ERROR on thier part.

im not bashing a 400ex, thier great bikes for what they are and cheap too. really close to a z, but id rather ride a suzuki.

MerrellR89
05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
and for 400 bucks i could make any z beat a 400ex...

what you just said is a load of crap. i ride my 400 for what its worth and race harescrambles with it. no issues with mine what so ever and its a 2003. im guessing you know somebody that didnt take care of thier z400 and it broke alot, and now you think that a 400ex is so much better because of OPERATOR ERROR on thier part.

im not bashing a 400ex, thier great bikes for what they are and cheap too. really close to a z, but id rather ride a suzuki.

*thats what I'm talkin about, $400 bucks and you'd be able to keep up with me, $1000 and riding experience to beat me!!!

z_militia
05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I vote WHITE suzuki!!! :)

GooseZ400
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd Go with the Z as well. If the simpler things were better we'd all be driving around in amish buggies. The Z has a more plush ride, power, and liquid cooling

z_militia
05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
lmao!!!!! amish buggy...

JK-Kfx
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
dude my buddy i ride with has a 400ex and i have a kfx..his is a 02 mines a 05 kfx and i'm 218 lbs and he's 170 and i roast him..everytime..he hasn't beat me once..

i love the newer kfx's..new cams,better frame..you'll be happy with the new kfx/ltz's

GooseZ400
05-26-2006, 04:48 PM
is there really a comparision. the honda has a great rep, but it's to old school. what new quads have the features of the z. the yfz and the 450r. neither one of them have reverse do they. and the level that they are isnt far from what the z is. in ohio you can get a z/kfx for about 5100 otd. and the ex is in there at about 5000 even. you get alot more for the money. I got the white z w/ the blue frame. it's sharp. and in the woods I can run w/ anything out there. The newer ones are great.The cams are different and you can beat an 04 z buy about 1 and 1/2 lengths. You line me up against my buddys ex. and ill take it by about 4

suzukikid92
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
go w. the z

z40021
06-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Get the z it has reverse wich is good if your gonna do trail ridding like you said and its liquid cooled. Plus z400s are a little faster.

ridfastorbelast
06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Go with the Ex it more reable, few on my friends had a z400 and always had problems with them.. they were always broken,and they didnt like it, frame would bent because of wheelies. with my stock 400ex i was faster then the z-kfx-dvx on the top end, the Ex and about 500 less to. Id would take a 400ex over a z anytime
but it still good bike but not as much reabillity as honda

2002 400ex
nerf bar
dg bumper
msr handle bars
shave fenders
rarz tire

ridfastorbelast
06-28-2006, 09:02 PM
and in trail riding they coulnt keep up in tight trails becasue the bike is to tipsy

ridfastorbelast
06-28-2006, 09:08 PM
and in trail riding they coulnt keep up in tight trails becasue the bike is to tipsy

z40021
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
zs arnt any more tipsy than a 400ex. My friend has a 400ex and mine was alot more stable than his when I had my z shocks on. Also the only year with the frame problem was the 03 and that is the year of mine and I have been riding at tracks about 10 times and have yet to have any welds crack. I even came up short on a 50ft table top by like a foot and bounced down the landing. It hurt like a *****. but my frame was fine.

exrider008
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
ur in a ltz/kfx four so everybody is going to say get the z. post this in the open fourm.

i have a 400ex and my friend has a z, in a drag we r the exact same speed. at the track i get him off the holeshot every time and i get alot better lap times then he dose (we both have = skill) but the the 400ex is air cooled which sucks for trail riding and babying it around the yard. they r both great quads, what ever one u pick u will be happy with.

DOHC
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
My friend has a stock z 400 and my other friend has a stock 400ex and the z 400 isnt faster then the 400ex at all. Its all the rider unless ur quad is like mine lol

ridfastorbelast
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
see there u go 400ex are faster then theese z,i dont say there bad machine,but when u ride these z 400 hard they will break alot,that why my friends doesnt like them, cuz i ride my 400ex pretty hard and i have no problem with it,so yee is anyone need to choose in between the z or the ex u should go with the ex plus is less money for about 500, with that 500 u can pipe it and cam and that will improve alot and bester again more than the z

YFZ450Ridr
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ridfastorbelast
see there u go 400ex are faster then theese z,i dont say there bad machine,but when u ride these z 400 hard they will break alot,that why my friends doesnt like them, cuz i ride my 400ex pretty hard and i have no problem with it,so yee is anyone need to choose in between the z or the ex u should go with the ex plus is less money for about 500, with that 500 u can pipe it and cam and that will improve alot and bester again more than the z

well you have no idea what your talking about with z400 reliability. i ride the piss out of mine and race hare scrambles with it, and its very very rough. nothing has ever gone wrong with mine. runs very strong. i like it better than 400exs any day. air cooling is a little outdated.

MoToX199
06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
haha i love how the 400ex people are trying to say the 400ex is better then the z,i sold my 400ex to get a DVX,and i havent looked back one time,no matter what people say stock for stock the z is a way better bike,there is no comparison the 400ex is just outdated,sorry people,but you just have to face the facts,and the people that have said there un-reliable are bs'ing,z's are awesome,they will last for ever if you take care of them right,and beeing tipsy what the hell are you talking about? the 400ex is also very tipsy when stock,most quads are besides the new LTR,just face the facts,the z is better,the 400ex is dying out,sorry people

JK-Kfx
06-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MoToX199
haha i love how the 400ex people are trying to say the 400ex is better then the z,i sold my 400ex to get a DVX,and i havent looked back one time,no matter what people say stock for stock the z is a way better bike,there is no comparison the 400ex is just outdated,sorry people,but you just have to face the facts,and the people that have said there un-reliable are bs'ing,z's are awesome,they will last for ever if you take care of them right,and beeing tipsy what the hell are you talking about? the 400ex is also very tipsy when stock,most quads are besides the new LTR,just face the facts,the z is better,the 400ex is dying out,sorry people

Amen.

ridfastorbelast
06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
ahah the z is way more tispy then the ex because the z is way higher then the ex, so yee all my friends are selling there z when they tried my 400ex, they like more my quad,they said yee there less power, but controle stabillity etc like more on mind,and top end was better with mind, and it the wheelie king sorry bud, but around here i own the 400 catereogie ( welle except the 450 that for sure) but guys i aint saying z 400 sucks cuz ive been on few.. i like them but not as much as the 400ex

MoToX199
06-30-2006, 04:40 AM
ok first thing work on your spelling,took me 10 mins to read that and understand it,yea you are correct about the z being taller,but it is just as tipsy as any other quad that is stock,plus if you know how to ride good,then you can control how tipy it is. now you said there ex has better control? how? please enlighten me with your wisdom on how this can be? like i sad before stock for stock there both as tipsy,i should know,my bro has a stock 400ex and before i put a axle and crap on mine,i rod emy DVX and then directly hoped on my bro's 400ex and it felt allmost the same(besides having less power). And agian the z is faster on top end,lets think it has more power and its better all around,why wouldnt it be faster on top end then the 400ex? And i dont know where you are coming from about the wheelie king,i mean yes the 400ex do wheelie awesome,i will give you that,but people called them the wheelie king before any other 400cc sport quad was even out! Now think of it this way if the 400ex and z came out at the same time,i bet you most people would say they wheelie both as equaly good,see this is where i go back to saying is outdated,back in 200 there was nothin to compare it to,now ther is so much and its starting to fall behind.

rockman
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow this is interesting.. One question though, how old are all you kids. :o

†2005 400ex†
07-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I own a 05 400ex, i have never ridin a z so i dont know how they handle, or the power or anything, but what i can say is i got my 05 400ex out the door for $4600 compared to the zs which they quoted me at $5600 out the door. I dont care what anybody says, the 400 ex engine is better for trails because of the simple fact that you can lug the thing all day and it will never stall on you. I have never had overheating problems and i live in arizona, its about 110 degrees when i go riding.For the money that i got my bike for, i would go with the ex any day of the week. To me, being a couple of quad lengths faster in a drag is not worth 1000 bucks. JMO. Not trying to put down the z, im sure its an awesome machine.Plus when i go riding i see tons of exs...they are a legend in 4-stroke racing because they started it all. The z can not and will never be able to take that away from the ex. I see a z clone very seldomely.Again JMO, buy whatever you feel sutes you best and i will promise you that you will be on here fighting for that machine in a couple of months!:D

MoToX199
07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
5600 is alot,i paid for my 06 DVX for 5200 OTD

z400drag
07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
z400 is a little more top heavy but a more comftorble ride
i love my z because it has that extra ege the ex doesnt

projectram
07-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I have an 05 ex and my girl has an 05 z400. My ex has is piped jetted and has a k&n the z is stock. In a drag the ex ill jump out in front about 2 maybe 3 quad lenght then the z starts to catch up and pass it cause of the top end. I do most of my ridding in the sand ad from what i can tell the z is far better handling there. Dont get me wrong i love my ex but if i culd go back i would have just gotten the z to begin with

oldskoolex400
07-08-2006, 05:32 PM
IMO i wouldnt waste my time on either 400 i would go to a new 450 or a used one that is modded you mentioned you ride dunes so you can use the power after a month or two on a 400 you will be modding it or selling it to get a 450 which you will loose anywhere from 1000-2000 to sell one of the 400s if reverse is an issue the kfx450 will be out later it seems to be a nice bike you really cant go wrong with any of the 450's they are reliable as long as you do proper upkeep on them but not bashing either of the 400s just voicing my opinion but hey, its not my money so do what you want

hope you have fun riding which bike you choose

Blackkawi400
07-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm partial to black Z/KFX's

oldskoolex400
07-08-2006, 08:20 PM
nice kfx prolly one of the nicest ones i ve seen i like the black plastic blue frame combo

rockman
07-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Ok so i had to post up some proof.. this is my STOCK z beating my buddies ex..

<embed src="http://crazyass.net/~patrick/mebeatinggerad0001.asf" type="application/x-windows-media-player " width="430" height="346"</a>

rockman
07-08-2006, 11:19 PM
sweet that actually worked :D

rockman
07-08-2006, 11:22 PM
oh and for the record this is after i let him put my holeshots off my R on there, so he didn't have a "lack of traction" excuse

LT250RMan
07-09-2006, 12:04 AM
that z400 didnt beat that ex that bad

07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
ive rode my cousins ex and it felt small and really weak, and when i get on my Z i just fall back in love with it. Go With the Z they are way way way way better than those outdated 400ex's

rockman
07-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
that z400 didnt beat that ex that bad

but that is a ex with:
white bro's eseries
hotcam stage 2
velocity intake

z is stock

pharit
07-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Thats one ****ty camera man..............

oldskoolex400
07-09-2006, 02:56 PM
between the two ex and z its gonna be a toss up in a race by the rider how good he is at dragging and then the engines and mods some bikes same model year etc are faster than others ive beat a few z400s and a few have beat me i still say 450 the z had two main selling points liquid cooled and reverse, honda has only fixed one of them so until then the z will be a superior bike stock for stock

ridfastorbelast
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
yo buddy impossible but that a ex with a pipe and a nd a hot cam loose to and z cuz my frien ex with a slion one white borther and k&n he's smoke a dvx around 4-5 quad lenght.. and im 2and half 3 quad behing him... well the rider doesn know how to ride is quad.. or is ex has a problem.. cuz a ex modifier should smoke a z that for sure

rockman
07-09-2006, 03:35 PM
yo buddy impossible but that a ex with a pipe and a nd a hot cam loose to and z cuz my frien ex with a slion one white borther and k&n he's smoke a dvx around 4-5 quad lenght.. and im 2and half 3 quad behing him... well the rider doesn know how to ride is quad.. or is ex has a problem.. cuz a ex modifier should smoke a z that for sure

ARE YOU SERIOUS... people like you are the reason i posted this vid in the first place.. Say its impossible all you want the god dam video is right there.

rockman
07-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pharit
Thats one ****ty camera man..............
Cory shot that

projectram
07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey about that video. Did they switch quads to see f the outcome is the same? It could be just rider but i dont know. All I know is what i stated in my last post. That between my 05 ex with pipe, jet, and K&N and my stock 05 z the ex will put about 2 or 3 quads on the z then the z will catchup on the top end. That with the riders of about equal ability and switchig quads. The out come stays the same.

Cool vid by the way. Oh yeah and my 05 has yet to loss to an older style yet. All the ones have raced have been modded about the same as mine too.

rockman
07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
i'll have to get some action of us switching quads.. i'll even break out my R

oldskoolex400
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
projectram have you checked the top speed of the 400ex

projectram
07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
No i havent check the top speed of mine. I will one of these weekends out now that i have gps but as of right now i have no clue. I need to do that before this winter cause im going to be doing alittle modding over the winter.:D

450rJam
07-10-2006, 03:10 PM
with the mods and good holeshots its hard to believe the ex didnt lift the front at least a little taking off.
change riders and lets see it.
nice video, cool that you can just click play instead of opening another window and loading etc.

oldskoolex400
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
yea i agree with you 450rjam i know good riders are supposed to be able to keep it down but still in first and second looks like it should be lifting a little

rockman
07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
he's launching in second.. I'm tryin to get him back up here.. we need him to come hit our ramp so we can start moving it back.. he's being a pain in the *** though.. when he comes up though i'll get more footage of both of us, this time we'll switch too

oldskoolex400
07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
yea still idk how good of a rider this guy is still its still 90% rider 10% quad try putting a different rider against you on that 400 and then yall switch let the guy with the ex hold the camera or somn

rockman
07-10-2006, 03:58 PM
will do just waiting for him to get up here again

AR15 guy
07-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by rockman
but that is a ex with:
white bro's eseries
hotcam stage 2
velocity intake

z is stock

Buddies 400ex has a K&N, jet kit, and full big gun exhaust and it puts 3 quad lengths on my buddies stock KFX400.

Not saying you aren't smoking your friend but my buddies 400ex is pretty quick.

Buddy with the KFX400 just jetted it and put a full E2 exhaust on his and they run pretty even now.

Whats funny is they both beat my friends 660 raptor that has a big gun slip on, hotcam, and airfilter.

AR15 guy
07-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I am not trying to say 400ex's are better because I would rather have a z400. I am just stating 400ex's aren't that bad.

With a couple mods you can get them running well. They are outdated but they are still one of the most reliable quads out there.

ridfastorbelast
07-14-2006, 11:24 PM
yee ex are not bad at all.. my friend ex with white bro slip on. k&n and jet... his same speed as a pred white fmf factory 4 pipe... and he beat the polaris outlaw with about 1 quand lenght... and smoke a z whit 5quand lenght... ( im only 3-4 quand lenght behing my friend ex) lol

his is ex very quick is beated some 450r too:):)

go ex riders

GooseZ400
07-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Here we go again w/ this base head. Dude quit trying to start arguments. I think this is the only way u find joy in your pathetic life. You have no idea about what your talking about.

The ex wont beat the pred.
And it certainly wont beat a 450 from any of the three brands.
It wont be a banshee, Z/KFX/DVX,

The Ex is the slowest in the 400 category. It has been since 03 and will continue to be until honda decides to actually perk up the motor a little. It's a little outdated. Very reliable just like the Z

BUT VERY OUTDATED

projectram
07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
IM still going to says it all comes down to rider. I have both and like the z more but my ex is alittle faster but only becasue the z is stock and the ex is modded.

ridfastorbelast
07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
hey i just bought a whit bro slip on today.. and ive race a z 400 and pull about 3 quad lenght maybe 4 infront of him..

LT250RMan
07-15-2006, 07:52 PM
hey i just bought a whit bro slip on today.. and ive race a z 400 and pull about 3 quad lenght maybe 4 infront of him..

WHY DO YOU KEEP BRAGING ABOUT YOUR 400EX?? THERE NOT THAT FAST OF A QUAD EVEN WITH A PIPE!! You think your quads SO FAST go ride a HYBRID with a YZ426F engine in it or go ride a new 450 and maybe you will quit braging about your stock 400ex.

ridfastorbelast
07-15-2006, 09:30 PM
yo man i aint saying my ex is soo FASt im just saying my stock ex BEATs a stock z... and now with my pipe ive got 3-4 quad lenght in front.. and i dont even have my jet kit in my bike yet.. anyways... i know im not the fastest quad out there man... so dont think that i think im the fastest out htere cuz im not ... but juste faster then a z

rockman
07-15-2006, 09:35 PM
i bet i could beat you and your piped ex with my STOCK z

ridfastorbelast
07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
u beating me.. with ur stock z agaisnt my piped ex... haha never.. and if i loose i kill my self.. maybe youll win by changing ur gearing... but u wont be stock

rockman
07-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by rockman
Ok so i had to post up some proof.. this is my STOCK z beating my buddies ex..

<embed src="http://crazyass.net/~patrick/mebeatinggerad0001.asf" type="application/x-windows-media-player " width="430" height="346"</a>

ridfastorbelast
07-15-2006, 10:28 PM
in a drag depands the rider... z should win with egal rider... but im talking about top end man... top end is different... stock vs stock a z is a bit faster on midrange power.. but top end i just past him about about 1quad lenght.. now with my pipe.. in a drag will beat him... and get about 3-4 quand lenght infrotn of him on top end

rockman
07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
in a drag depands the rider... z should win with egal rider... but im talking about top end man... top end is different... stock vs stock a z is a bit faster on midrange power.. but top end i just past him about about 1quad lenght.. now with my pipe.. in a drag will beat him... and get about 3-4 quand lenght infrotn of him on top end

ok so what all do you have done to your ex.. get with it man i've already had this argument on this thread.. read earlier.. the ex in that vid has alot more done to it than yours

ridfastorbelast
07-15-2006, 10:32 PM
and in the vid how come the guy with the ex the bike doesnt go on a wheelie it shoudl go up till 2nd or 3third hear.. and we dont even see it go up a bit.. kind of weird.. cuz me with my ex it lift up till sometime 3rd on pavement

rockman
07-15-2006, 11:02 PM
i hope it would lift in 3rd on pavement.. My nephew's little 90 can lift them on pavement. the reason he is not bringing the front end up is because he's basically sitting on the tank, and slowly transitioning his weight towards the back so that he can actually steer the thing.. unlike most people who just bring up the front end to look cool but then have to let off so as not to hit the other person

rockman
07-15-2006, 11:02 PM
and by the way, i can pull wheelies on his ex in 5th

projectram
07-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Sorry bro but a stock z has more top end power than a stock ex. Hell my stock z has more top end power than my modded ex so i hate to say your wrong there.

pharit
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
z400 owns the ex

hands down

ridden them both.......

exrider008
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by exboomer
I am looking to buy a new quad. Either a ex or ltz. I don't race and mostly ride trails and the dunes a couple times a year. I am looking for opinions on both these quads and what I would expect to pay OTD. Do the new model Suzuki's still have frame problems?? The dealer is quoting $5,200 otd for the Honda and $5,599 otd for the Suzuki. Thanks

guys if u take a looksat his original post u will see that there is no ? asked about top speed so i have no clue why this hold post had been about top speed and why dose it matter which is faster top end dosnt show anything.

pharit
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
and in the vid how come the guy with the ex the bike doesnt go on a wheelie it shoudl go up till 2nd or 3third hear.. and we dont even see it go up a bit.. kind of weird.. cuz me with my ex it lift up till sometime 3rd on pavement

Do you even know how to drag race??????

rockman
07-22-2006, 08:58 PM
lol

rockman
07-22-2006, 08:58 PM
lol

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 08:04 PM
So exactly what was the video SUPPOSED to do? Pizz people off?:huh Odds are that the Z is gonna beat an EX.. DEAL WITH IT

What does the vidoe prove..??? NOTHING !It proves that it won a drag race, that means NOTHING to me and most other riders. It could have had better gearing,traction,weight ratio has ALOT to do with it as well. Too many variations to just a clip to prove anything.

I think BOTH machines are really good quads. The Z has proven to out power the EX. You cant expect that the air cooled machine would ,would you?Everyone can have an opinion but it doesnt make it LAW.

Drag racing IMO is not a means to prove anything and when it comes down to it anyways. Im unbias on any of the machines, I own an EX and stock for stock I have no dobt it would beat mine -when it was stock..:D

pharit
07-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
So exactly what was the video SUPPOSED to do? Pizz people off?:huh Odds are that the Z is gonna beat an EX.. DEAL WITH IT

What does the vidoe prove..??? NOTHING !It proves that it won a drag race, that means NOTHING to me and most other riders. It could have had better gearing,traction,weight ratio has ALOT to do with it as well. Too many variations to just a clip to prove anything.

I think BOTH machines are really good quads. The Z has proven to out power the EX. You cant expect that the air cooled machine would ,would you?Everyone can have an opinion but it doesnt make it LAW.

Drag racing IMO is not a means to prove anything and when it comes down to it anyways. Im unbias on any of the machines, I own an EX and stock for stock I have no dobt it would beat mine -when it was stock..:D

some one simply said that an ex would beat a Z in a drag race. Rockman posted a video saying it wouldn't happen and guess what....it didn't thats all that video was out to prove.

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
All I can say is dont under estimate .Its not ALWAYS about power

MY Daughter both TORE a 250ex and the MX this wk end on a 90 mini :o

It CAN be done!:macho

:o

http://i.pbase.com/g4/26/660826/2/63653887.G22dGlES.jpg

rockman
07-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by chigger
Ive got a little experience with a z and alot of experience with an ex. I wouldnt say one has "better" power than the other. The 400ex has got more low end grunt than the z. The z seems to have a stronger top end, but stock for stock in a drag, it comes down to the rider. The new z has better suspension than the ex. The z also has liquid cooling. The advantage of this is disputable. The 400ex is the most reliable sport quad ive been on besides the warrior. If you just want a reliable sport quad that wont let you down and has good power for the trails and play riding, the 400ex cant be beat. Its simple and easy to work on, and you can beat on it all you want without problems. The z would be my choice if i was a little more performance minded. You can mod it to race mx or xc and still be competetive with the 450s. You are getting better shocks and liquid cooling for that 400 bucks. The cooling can be seen as another thing to go wrong if your just a trail rider, but its nice if you ride hard in tight trails.

This was way back on page one.. thats where the start of drag came into the picture

QuadJunkies
07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Chigger said it well.;)

DVXracer
07-29-2006, 07:08 AM
id go with the ltz/kfx/dvx cuz the 400ex is the heaviest slowest quad, mostly slowest cuz its only air cooled my friend has one and it runs REALLY hot.

ridfastorbelast
08-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey guys... after a big day of riding with my friend... a 2007 dvx. 2006 450r.. 2004 dvx and my 2002 400ex.... with white brother slipn on and 16 t sproket

for u guy that dont beleive me that i cant beat a dvx or w-e welll youll be surprise by theese result and we try this and sand,pavement,rocks, every type of riding we could

in the 1/8mile... the 450r beat us all,after the 2007 dvx me and dvx we egal...

1-4mile.. 450r,after i was tied with the 2007 dvx and last 2004 dvx

on top end youll be very surprise and so was me and friend after theese result

me in first by 2 quad lenght in front of the 2007 dvx... and the 450r was about half a quad slower then the new dvx.. and the guy on the dvx was about 200pound and the one on the 450r is 140.... and in last by about 4 quad lenght.. the dvx... i was soooo surprise about theese result..

and the earlyer model of the 450r were about 1 quad in front of me.. if there a small rider on it after like 180 pound we will be equal or close

pretty proud for my ex...

my friend with the new dvx is so hapy with his quad... but the 2006 450r.. is slower than the other model by 1-2 quad lenght on top speed but as more take off

and the new dvx will beat the other model by few quad lenght.. i dont know what they changed on the newest model but there are pretty fast

DVXracer
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
on the dvx 06 and 07 they put bigger cams in thats the differens form the older ones

jonboy
08-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Dude! Where did you learn to type? I have had to reread your post a couple of times to make sense of what your talking about.:confused: When I read it outloud I sound like a retard:huh

jonboy
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Some one go beat this guy already. I have beaten my brother- in- law numerous times on my KFX when it was stock, the Lakota and both Tecates. Theres no contest. We generally raced on the pavement and I had even given him approximately 10ft before I took off in one of our many races( because I bet him I could still beat him) Needless to say he was buying all the wings and beer that night. Hes had a 416 kit done, and I have only got a Yosh pipe and Jetkit/Uni filter and we are now very close on top end. I know if I put an aftermarket CDI with a higher rev limiter i will smoke him. I just dont know which one is best yet.

ridfastorbelast
08-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey i jsut came back from riding with the new suzuki 450r.... that machine a blast.... he does 143 km-h on top end... and 130-135 went he his 2 on the quad... on top end i was about 3 lenght in front of him... he doesnt beleive me that i only have a white bro slip on and that it.. and can go that fast he's never seen a pipe ex go that fast.. so if i can follow a hondda 450r or a suzuki 450r... say good bye to ur little z 400-dvx-kfx bud...

jonboy
08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey I guess your shaved fenders make you so light that you can beat us all. LMAO:devil: I guess next you'll be telling us that your outrunning a CBR900RR and all you have is you standard WB slip on pipe which is just a open muffler with glass packing. :blah: :blah: :blah:

oldskoolex400
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
this post is a waste of time both quads will beat each other i have beat a few z400 and a couple have beaten me so what why dont yall haul yalls quads and meet halfway somewhere if you want to talk trash over the internet

ridfastorbelast
08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
i iant saying im soo fast... yes my fender are shaved i weight 135..
i jsut say i can esily beat a z 400 and im neck to neck with a honda 450r and the suzuki is a bit in front of me on top end.. i havent try my friend cuz they were 2 on is suzuki.. so yee.

oldskoolex400
08-03-2006, 11:17 PM
unless you ride on the road alot or ride dunes top speed doesnt matter yea on topend i can stay with a 450 and beat one with the 16t if i have a long way to get up but woohoo you really top out alot on those trails you know

†2005 400ex†
08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I totally agree, who gives a crap, honestly, all it does when people start talking about who faster top end is start a " mines better" arguement

ridfastorbelast
08-04-2006, 07:16 PM
got back from riding with a 2006 honda450rrag wpuld beat me top end i beat him... 2-3 quad lenht only have a slip on and 16t

but damn ta quad is fast on take off

exrider008
08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
this post is a waste of time both quads will beat each other i have beat a few z400 and a couple have beaten me so what why dont yall haul yalls quads and meet halfway somewhere if you want to talk trash over the internet

i agree this thred should be colsed.

oldskoolex400
08-04-2006, 08:19 PM
dang i really need to move to canada the 450s must be alot slower up there all those guys would want to be tradin for my 400 cuz i would be killin them if all he has is a sprocket change and a s/o

ridfastorbelast
08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
how bout u do that.. and youll see how me and my ex goes pretty fast and passt thesse 450r... i even tho have a friend who put a cam,high compression piston,elderbrock carb w-e u spell that.. and complete dmc pipe.k*n and jet kit and im faster than his 400ex i think it pretty funny cuz he puttes 3000$ in it ahaha

so how bout u come down..with ur quad u have.. youll be suprise

GooseZ400
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
dude yor arguement to begin with was stock for stock. The only reason why u r beating them topend is because you changed the gearing have someone go up 3 sizes on theyre sprocket and then drag race to the top end, Youll get smoked

GooseZ400
dude yor arguement to begin with was stock for stock. The only reason why u r beating them topend is because you changed the gearing have someone go up 3 sizes on theyre sprocket and then drag race to the top end, Youll get smoked

GooseZ400

oldskoolex400
08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
who you talkin to goose i also just noticed that ridefast posted he only weighs 135 so this could help him out some idk i dont see how a quad with his mods can outrun a 450

ridfastorbelast
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes i agree i started for stock for stock.... and yess i beated them with stock gearing.. and now.. people where saying modifed ex.. were getting beat by z 400.. there a prob thhere my piped ex kill them... and beat 450r.. but i do have a 16t sproket now... im got clock at arond 135 140 km-h ... i jsut cant wait to race the new suzuki.. would be funny my quad cost 4 gram and his 10.. and will prob be faster then him...

i made this argument.. to prove people the a ex can be really fast... and it not a ****ty machine, and can smoke z400 esaily

so u if u guys dont beleive u better come down here and I will show u how it can be fast

if anyone.. as a stock ex... try ur self with a 16t. and wb slip on.. wont cost u alot.. and youll be faster then 450r.. u should beleive me for this.. at fiest didnt beleive it.. now that i doo im soo happy

u guys should try this.. make a BIG diffenrence

rockman
08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes i agree i started for stock for stock.... and yess i beated them with stock gearing.. and now.. people where saying modifed ex.. were getting beat by z 400.. there a prob thhere my piped ex kill them... and beat 450r.. but i do have a 16t sproket now... im got clock at arond 135 140 km-h ... i jsut cant wait to race the new suzuki.. would be funny my quad cost 4 gram and his 10.. and will prob be faster then him...

i made this argument.. to prove people the a ex can be really fast... and it not a ****ty machine, and can smoke z400 esaily

so u if u guys dont beleive u better come down here and I will show u how it can be fast

if anyone.. as a stock ex... try ur self with a 16t. and wb slip on.. wont cost u alot.. and youll be faster then 450r.. u should beleive me for this.. at fiest didnt beleive it.. now that i doo im soo happy

u guys should try this.. make a BIG diffenrence

Ummm.. yeah if you are racing over a mile:huh :rolleyes: Dude you need to wake up seriously.
1. Topspeed doesn't mean anything.. ANYTHING
2. MY z400 would most likely beat your ex
3. NO WAY IN HELL you would beat ANY 450 in an actual drag
4. Learn to speak english
5. oh here's a translation for you

Ummm.. ouais si vous courez par-dessus un mile : huh : rolleyes : Fringuer vous a besoin de se réveiller sérieusement.
1. Topspeed pas le moyens n'importe quoi.. N'IMPORTE QUOI
2. MON z400 ferait le battement
le plus probable votre ex
3. AUCUNE FAÇON DANS L'ENFER vous battriez N'IMPORTE QUEL 450 dans un véritable traîne
4. Apprendre à parler à l'anglais
5. oh est ici une traduction pour vous

jonboy
08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
The Rockman has Spoken!!;) :blah: