PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic grand prix March 25

sunco
02-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey it just came up as the 1st race is in Barnaget twp, NJ . Where is that & does anyone have info on the location/ race. We wanta go & race. Thanx.

Derno24
02-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Now it says April 2nd. Barnagat is down by the shore in NJ. There is a link in the info section that will show you a map.

sunco
02-19-2006, 05:04 PM
http://www.atlanticgrandprix.com/mar25.html

Its saying the 25th of March

sunco
02-19-2006, 05:17 PM
couldn't find any maps linking me to location.

Derno24
02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
It is on that page. It says directions and map click here.

You should also check the home page again. It doesn't have that event listed on the 25th. He has posted races and changed them in the past. It is listed the following weekend.

QuadRacer041
02-20-2006, 05:16 AM
the date will probably change 10 times before it actually happens...:rolleyes:

jlhughes750
02-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
the date will probably change 10 times before it actually happens...:rolleyes:

kinda hard for a family of 4 to plan on attending an event???:rolleyes:

Dale@AGP
02-20-2006, 10:43 AM
HI Guys,

First I’d like to apologize for the delays on the New Jersey locations and the start of the series. If you live in New Jersey I’m sure you’re aware of how had it is to ride your Quads off-road, After spending the last 12 months finding locations and then losing them I’m almost at the point of just giving up on New Jersey and this is from someone that’s been putting on off road events in this state for close to 20 years.

We’ve had deals with Farms and Gravel Pits fall through because of some local environmentalist that was hell bent on stopping anything that has to do with ATV or Motorcycles. It’s so bad that my AtlanticGrandPrix.com website is now listed on the New Jersey Sierra Clubs website and anytime I post a location the community is flooded with letters from Sierra Club members opposing any type of OHV event in that community, So that’s one of the reasons why I’ve had to put TBA on my New Jersey locations.

Our Fort Dix location and course was pretty much a done deal. That was suppose to be the location for our February and March events. Everything was complete, we had permit letters and a buy in from everyone including the foresters and the environmental people on the base, they even told use to go and print the schedule. Apparently it was all scuttled by one individual that didn’t want ATV’s on his base. The guy is in a civilian administrative position and from what I understand is a staunch environmentalist. He was the only person out of the 10 decision makes to oppose the events on base. We are now in the process of working with the Army on changing the decision and are optimistic that we’ll be able to pull off a proof of concept event there in the fall

Our plan “B” was to have two fall back locations, one was in Lacy Township New Jersey and the other was in Monroe Twp, New Jersey. The Lacy location was killed by NJ Pinelands commission because they said that the owner had unresolved violations on their property and would not issue a permit until the violations were resolved. So there you have a 1000 acre property with a willing land owner that will never see a legalized OHV event because because you can’t get a NJ Pinelands commission permit.

The second fall back location was the proposed OHV park in Monroe Township New Jersey, There were people within the State Department of Environmental Protection that had asked us to put on an event in Monroe to soften resistance to the OHV park proposal and to show the opposition that the concept of OHV recreation would not impact the community. The NJ Pinelands commission was OK with issuing a permit, but with the change in DEP commissioners from Bradley Campbell to Lisa Jackson, that event was put on hold until the new DEP commissioner has a chance to review everything.

In the meantime a friend of ours, who owns a gravel pit in Barnegat Twp offered us his property. We then met with Barnegat Twp town council and they are fine with it as long as there isn’t major opposition in the community. The NJ Pinelands commission has said that getting a permit for the location would not be an issue and all I’m waiting on is a town council meeting on February 27th which I’ll be attending to answer any questions that might come up. From what we’ve been told is that we have a lot of community support and that it should go through.

As I said before New Jersey is on of the worst places in the world to try and put on Off-Road events, In Pennsylvania and New York it’s easy compared to New Jersey, What I can say is that The North American Warhorse, Cortland NY and ThunderRidge locations are all a go and the courses are awesome.

If any of you that live in New Jersey want to help change things, I strongly urge you to join NJOHVA New Jersey Off-Highway Vehicle Association their website is: http://www.njohva.org

I even have this nice AtlantiGrandPrix ad that's already to run in the magazines: http://atlanticgrandprix.com/AGPad21706.jpg

Believe me when I say I’m trying, It’s just getting extremely difficult when it seem like you’re the only one doing it.

Sincerely
Dale

Dale Freitas
Director of the Atlantic Grand Prix Series

Below is the final schedule for 2006 and it’s just waiting on the February 27 Barnegat Twp meeting.

Round 1 April 2nd 2006
Barnegat, NJ Cross Country Race

Round 2 April 29 & 30th 2006
Dunmore, PA Cross Country Race

Round 3 May 13th & 14th 2006

Round 4 May 27th & 28th 2006

Round 5 June 17th & 18th 2006
New Berlin, NY Cross Country Race

Round 6 July 8th & 9th 2006
Cortland, NY Cross Country Race

Round 7 July 15th & 16th 2006

Round 8 August 5th & 6th 2006

Round 9 August 19th & 20th 2006
Cortland, NY Cross Country Race

Round 10 Sept. 2nd & 3rd 2006

Round 11 Sept. 16th & 17th 2006
New Berlin, NY Cross Country Race

Round 12 Oct. 14th & 15th 2006
Eaglewood, NJ Cross Country Race

Round 13 Oct. 28th & 29th 2006
Fort Dix, NJ Cross Country Race

Round 14 Nov. 4th & 5th 2006
Monroe, NJ Cross Country Race

QuadRacer041
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
why is it so easy to on a dirtbike xc race but imposable to do a quad race?whats the differance?

Derno24
02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Lou that is an awesome question. Dale any info would be greatly appreciated. We support you in what you are doing. It just gets frustrating sometimes as I am sure you already are!

Dale@AGP
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Lou,

It isn't easy to put on a Dirt Bike race. The only reason you see Dirt Bike Cross Country races in New Jersey is because theyÕre usually put on by a Motorcycle Enduro club and usually those events are on private land where they have a relationship with a land owner and are outside of the New Jersey Pinelands Commission territory.

In New Jersey there are 9 Enduro clubs. 8 of those put on Enduros in South Jersey and all of those events are in State Forest where the bikes have to be registered, insured and licensed. The one Enduro we had in North Jersey was in Stanhope NJ and that event is no longer run in New Jersey, but up in Hancock, NY. Because they got booted out of NJ by the environmentalist.

Of those 9 Enduro clubs only 3 put on a Hare Scrambles

Trust me when I say that all 9 nine clubs would love to put on a Hare Scrambles, but they canÕt find private land to do it.

Only ONE event does Quads and thatÕs the event that I put on. The other events just do bikes, because itÕs a lot less work and you only have to make a trail thatÕs wide enough for a bike to fit through.

Most enduro clubs that put on a hare Scrambles make the trails tight so they only favor Enduro riders over Hare Scramble riders. In other word...if the trail was wide enough for a Quad, youÕd get complaints from the ECEA (East Coast Enduro Association) guys complaining that the trail was to open and favored Motocross or fast guys.

The other issue is that land throughout New Jersey has sky rocketed in value and any farmer that owns land is only looking to sell it and protect their assets (In other words they donÕt want to lose their land because of a Law Suit. Also the only groups that have the money to buy land in New Jersey are either developers or the State of New Jersey Green Acres program and they buy anything thatÕs available and then preserve it as open space. In most situations their decisions are dictated by the environmental community.

I havenÕt given up on New Jersey yet, because IÕve invested a lot of time building relationships within the state DEP and Green Acres program and hopefully some of that will pay off in the future.

Again if you want to get involved in land issues in New Jersey join NJOHVA (New Jersey Off-Highway Vehicle Association) their website is: http://www.njohva.org

If you want to be part of what I believe to be a really cool new series, then come on out and ride our Atlantic Grand Prix Series, our website is: http://atlanticgrandprix.com

Sincerely
Dale

Dale Freitas
Director of the Atlantic Grand Prix Series

P.S. Lou, IÕm trying really hard to make this thing work, I just came back from the Indianapolis Dealer Expo, where I was meeting with sponsors for the series, IÕve also put up a page on the AtlanticGrandPrix.com website that links to regional Sponsorhouse riders to help them find sponsors http://atlanticgrandprix.com/Sponsorhouse.html If IÕm doing something wrong let me know.

QuadRacer041
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
i cant remember off the top of my head right now but i remember seeing a few xc races in nj over the past few years that only run buikes not quads.

Dale@AGP
02-20-2006, 06:08 PM
That's correct, Some clubs get land only to lose it the next year. The only reason weÕve kept putting on an event is because weÕve always been able to find land outside of Pinelands and we have a couple of guys like myself that are dedicated to putting on Cross Country events.

We thought we had Eagleswood for two events a year, but the land owner has issues with riders coming back and riding the trails as well as the gravel pit after our event is over.

The only reason the landowner is still letting us use the facility is because it raises money for the Fire Company.

About a month ago one of the locals was riding their kid on the back of their Quad and when they tried to go down a steep hill they did a slow speed endo with the Quad landing on top of both of them.

As usual they both got mandatory State Police Helicopter rides down to the Cooper Trauma Center thatÕs become so popular anytime someone gets hurt on an OHV these days in New Jersey.

Now the land owner is reconsidering the implications of us having an event on his property and the fact that his Mining operation has become an attractive nuisance for the community.

IÕm hoping that this doesnÕt mean we lose the pit for the fall event.

Dale