PDA

View Full Version : What Cam with my set up?

Sleeper
02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
OK guys... I just today threw a white bros. E2 and a K&N with an outerwears on my 400ex. I have a stock motor right now and am looking at ordering a cam.

I want to keep as much low end as I can because I only ride the woods. I am not against regearing if I loose some low end but would like to keep as much torque as I can.

If I wanted to dump another $300.00 to $400.00 in what would you recomend? Hotcam stage 1 or 2? rev box? Regear? or all?

I don't want to do anything that will really shorten the engine life too much

PS I only have about 40 hours on the quad so It is very fresh.

Thanks in advance.

Sleeper

04'400ex'er
02-18-2006, 07:03 PM
The best thing you could do with that budget for power would be a JE 416 high comp. piston and a stg. II hotcam. You could install it yourself with the acception of the bore for about $300. This would be a reliable setup with lots of power and you could always come back and do a port for more power later.

400exstud
02-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I would do what 04'400ex'er said. If you don't want to go that route you could get a stage 1 cam. Their pretty good down low for woods riding.

Sleeper
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Well I wasn't really thinking of getting into the top end. But It's worth a thought. The only thing I would have to have done is press in a new sleave? Is that correct? Would I have to switch non-pump fuel or a mixture of fuel? I would still want to get a rev box right?.

My original thought was maybe a stage 1 with a rev box and drop a tooth in front.

PS is the white Bros. rev box worth a sh t? It sure is cheap and that's great if it works.

Sleeper

Sleeper
02-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I should mention that some of the places I ride I might not get to open it up for a half an hour or so. Just between trails on the road. So heat is an issue. I only touch 2nd gear hear and there. I guess If I regear that will change, but you get the picture.

Sleeper

Thanks again.

400exstud
02-18-2006, 07:55 PM
It wouldn't be necessary to put a new sleeve put in unless you go to a 440. Just get your current sleeve bored and honed by a reputible machine shop.

You can still run pump gas up though 11:1 compression on the 400ex. Anything after that requires race gas or a mix of 93 and race gas.

I wouldn't get the white brothers rev box because it doesn't generate a good spark when you are trying to start your motor until your motor is spinning pretty fast. In the winter, when your motor is cold, it can make starting your motor near impossible. The white brother, big gun, and a few others are just rebadged xr250 boxes.

If you go to a JE 10.8:1 compression 416cc piston with a stage 2 hotcam you shouldn't have any problems with over heating.

Sleeper
02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks 400exstud.

So do I need to worry about the rev box with a 416 set up or the other set up I was considering? If so is there a decent box for decent money? I would rather not spend $400.00 on a rev box.

04'400ex'er
02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Sleeper
Well I wasn't really thinking of getting into the top end. But It's worth a thought. The only thing I would have to have done is press in a new sleave? Is that correct? Would I have to switch non-pump fuel or a mixture of fuel? I would still want to get a rev box right?.

My original thought was maybe a stage 1 with a rev box and drop a tooth in front.

PS is the white Bros. rev box worth a sh t? It sure is cheap and that's great if it works.

Sleeper If you dont want to tear off the jug then do what I did and just drop in the stg II hotcam. It has a STRONG midrange pull with alot of top. the mid is where I use most of my power so it suits me well. I can lug around all day long with it also, the 400 has enough torque for just about any situation.

You will not need a new sleeve unless you go to a 440 bore. 416 can be punched out at your local machine shop. If you stick with around 11:1 compression on the piston then you will be fine with 93 octane gas.

The rev box is not for the 400ex in my opinion, unless it is a completely built motor. If you go and look at dyno sheets for the ex the power curve falls off about 500-1000 RPM before the rev limiter kicks in. if you go with the cam and put a rev box on with it beware of the floating valves. unless you purchase stiffer springs. and if you do the piston also, think of the extra stress on the stock connecting rod. I would just stay away from the rev box if i were you.

Sleeper
02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
thanks 04'400ex'er.

Ya I never worried about a rev box before because the power falls off so much up top. There really seemed to be no point but I was not sure if a different advance curve and cam would help the high end way up there. I did see on the WB box it said you better have peak charge on your battery or else. This thing is a b1tch to start as it is when it's cold. I don't want to make it any worse so I will skip the box. Sounds like you'd need some porting and perhaps a carb before you would get anything out of it.

So you have a stage 2. And you did not see any signifigant loss of low end power? That's really all I am concerned about. If I can go stage 2 and have the low and lots of mid then great. Other wise I will go stage 1 and gain some mid and Keep my low. Like I said though. regearing is an option if the mid and highend power gain is signifigant enough.

whiteflash
02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I say go with the stage 2 hotcam and 14t sprocket. i did, and i am very pleased with it. i have the WB revbox and its not that bad to start. it was in the teens yesterday and i had no problem starting it.

*Sleeper, i live like 15 minutes from you*

Sleeper
02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
thanks for the info whiteflash. How much did you pay for your WB rev box. I have seen ones for about $50.00 and then ones for much more. And while I got ya. Do you know anyone in portland that stocks the hotcams??

PS I am actually in St Helens Oregon. That's about 1/2 an hour north of portland up the river.

Sleeper

Rico
02-19-2006, 11:15 AM
How much did you pay for your WB rev box.

They're worth about a nickel...:o

Contact GT Thunder for a rev box and leave the POS WB box at the garbage dump.

whiteflash
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks for the info whiteflash. How much did you pay for your WB rev box. I have seen ones for about $50.00 and then ones for much more. And while I got ya. Do you know anyone in portland that stocks the hotcams??

PS I am actually in St Helens Oregon. That's about 1/2 an hour north of portland up the river.

Sleeper

i think i got mine for 40 to 45$, cant remember. it was online somewhere. I got my hotcam from quadcustoms, hes a member on here. i wouldnt buy locally, usually there way more expensive. check on this site, people are always selling.

Sleeper
02-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks whiteflash.

Well it sounds like stage 2 is the consenses. I will have to place my order.

I actually did pretty good on my WB E2 silencer at the local honda shop (columbia river honda). CHeaper than rocky mountain by about $30.00, but also have bought 4 quads from them in the last year ;). That has got to help a little.

Sleeper

04'400ex'er
02-19-2006, 01:10 PM
thanks 04'400ex'er.

Ya I never worried about a rev box before because the power falls off so much up top. There really seemed to be no point but I was not sure if a different advance curve and cam would help the high end way up there. I did see on the WB box it said you better have peak charge on your battery or else. This thing is a b1tch to start as it is when it's cold. I don't want to make it any worse so I will skip the box. Sounds like you'd need some porting and perhaps a carb before you would get anything out of it.

So you have a stage 2. And you did not see any signifigant loss of low end power? That's really all I am concerned about. If I can go stage 2 and have the low and lots of mid then great. Other wise I will go stage 1 and gain some mid and Keep my low. Like I said though. regearing is an option if the mid and highend power gain is signifigant enough. I noticed a slight loss in bottom end, it was almost like a lag though. It seems like when you are cruising in 2nd with the throttle cracked it kinda hesitates but when you push it near or a little before half throttle the power comes on like a two stroke. that is the midrange hit I was talking about. If you are ecer in a situation when you need torque you are gonna stab the throttle for the power and my setup will break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd so the hesitation is nothing detremental to the torque of the bike. The only person I could see having problems with this setup is one that lugs around in a gear too high at near idle rpms. and not many do that. you will be satisfied with the stg II.

Sleeper
02-19-2006, 06:12 PM
thanks for the info 04'400ex'er.

You all have been a great help. I'll let you know how it goes. I am itching to get this thing out with the new pipe an air cleaner. Unfortunatly It's about an hour drive for me to go riding and I am a bit under the weather. I think I pissed of the neighbors enough for one week the other day. This pipe is about 3 times louder than stock. Quiet core my @ss;)

sleeper