PDA

View Full Version : 05 Mustang.. V6 or V8

Punk'd
02-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Im 16 years old and im saving for a 05 Mustang.. so used of course. Now before I start, I want to say im not one of those types of guys who think they are all bad*** because they have a mustang. Im all about the looks.

So my question is... Does the V6 model suck? Is it worth spending the extra $5,000 for the V8?

Im leaning on the V6 because of insurance costs and I really dont think id even use all the power in a V8.

So if you guys can post some opinions that would be very helpful.

PS. I wouldnt mind some pics either:)

MR.BIG
02-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Get the V8 you will be bored of the v6 real quick. V8 then supercharge it.

ZSK
02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
How good of a job do you have? The reason that I ask is you'll be paying over $1800 every 6 months on insurance alone. Full coverage for a sports car and a 16 year old male!

If you're going to get a mustang get a V8 5 speed. There should never be a 6 cylinder automatic in a mustang.

pastfast125
02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
V8!!! MORE POWER!

ShiftFMX
02-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I got my hands on a 2006 Manual GT, and now I see why every one loves the GT mustangs!! If I bought one, it would deefinatly be a V8 GT, but im more than satisfied with my V8 Truck! Wayyy more practical too!

02-18-2006, 12:17 PM
If you are the best driver in the world, insurance will be rediculous. If you have an accident in your 05 mustang at 16, you're F'd in the A my friend.

Punk'd
02-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
How good of a job do you have? The reason that I ask is you'll be paying over $1800 every 6 months on insurance alone. Full coverage for a sports car and a 16 year old male!

If you're going to get a mustang get a V8 5 speed. There should never be a 6 cylinder automatic in a mustang.

Soon ill have a job paying $60 a night. I guess thats not bad for being 16:ermm:

jwick07
02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
How do you haul your quad around??? If you have to rely on you dad to do it I would say to He!l with the rustang or any car and get a truck. A s-10 with the 4.3LV6 will get good gas mileage and have more than enough power to throw your quad in the back and pull a trailor with another qaud on it. Not to mention the insurance is a lot lower than the sports car and you can pick them up for a good price now and they will run way over 100,00 miles.

Punk'd
02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
How do you haul your quad around??? If you have to rely on you dad to do it I would say to He!l with the rustang or any car and get a truck. A s-10 with the 4.3LV6 will get good gas mileage and have more than enough power to throw your quad in the back and pull a trailor with another qaud on it. Not to mention the insurance is a lot lower than the sports car and you can pick them up for a good price now and they will run way over 100,00 miles.

My dad made this rule were I cant drive to go riding until im 18, but will let me go with friends?:huh So there is really no point in getting a truck right now.

I was planning on getting one until he told me about his little rule.

Racing Rice
02-18-2006, 01:33 PM
If I were buying one for myself it would be the V8. I loved the one I had (it was a '98) and the new ones put that model to shame. They also hold thier value better.

With that said, your parents must be very understanding. I would never let my 16 year old son buy a '05 Mustang GT (V8) that is capable of running 13s in the 1/4. I personally think you'd be better off with the V6 until you mature a little more. (No offence to you, but I know how 16 year olds can be.)

Punk'd
02-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
If I were buying one for myself it would be the V8. I loved the one I had (it was a '98) and the new ones put that model to shame. They also hold thier value better.

With that said, your parents must be very understanding. I would never let my 16 year old son buy a '05 Mustang GT (V8) that is capable of running 13s in the 1/4. I personally think you'd be better off with the V6 until you mature a little more. (No offence to you, but I know how 16 year olds can be.)

Im not like that, but no offence taken. Im leaning towards the V6 as well.

Racing Rice
02-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Im not like that, but no offence taken. Im leaning towards the V6 as well.

The reason I said that is because I'm 27 and usually a very sensible driver, but the V8 just begs to be opened up. Fishtailing and donuts are a bad habit that is easy to get started on. It's easy to say I wouldn't do that, but sooner or later your curiousity will get the best of you.:D

The V6 is a wise option. It has plenty of power and is a little more economically reasonable for someone your age.

Stevie-D
02-18-2006, 02:05 PM
The reason I said that is because I'm 27 and usually a very sensible driver, but the V8 just begs to be opened up. Fishtailing and donuts are a bad habit that is easy to get started on. It's easy to say I wouldn't do that, but sooner or later your curiousity will get the best of you.

ain't that the truth! i'm bad enough with my little truck. already blown the rear, transfer case, uncountable u-joints:devil: i can't imagine what'd i could do to a mustang:devil:

BlasterEaten250
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I think you should get the v6 just for insurance reasons. If I were you i would get the v6 and put the '05 GT rims on it. and lower it a little.

Hon300ex
02-18-2006, 07:30 PM
id get the v8 if you can afford insurance for it.... it would make me so mad to get a v6 n then want more power out of it..

born-to-race
02-18-2006, 08:34 PM
If you only care about the looks then get a v6.

This is the only pic of a 5th gen that I could find on my computer

Stevie-D
02-18-2006, 08:34 PM
and just think about what your friends will think when they found out you bought a V6 mustang:chinese:

Punk'd
02-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
and just think about what your friends will think when they found out you bought a V6 mustang:chinese:

Call me a moron.. lol

How much is insurance for a V8?

Scottt89
02-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I know where your coming from, and I have learned my lesson. I had a Camero SS when I started driving. All I used to talk about before getting it was how I would be safe..... and 2 or 3 tickets later, I sold it. Best choice I ever made. Mustangs and Camero's just don't have the trade in value or gas value.

Being 16 and having that kind of power is rediculous. Just save your cash, get an SUV or a small truck, something that is much more practical.

CannondaleRider
02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
We have a V6 model, I believe they are around 210 horsepower. Not much, but they are a quick little car for a V6. I wish it was a V8, but insurance would be hell. I'll deal with the underpowered V6

Depending on your plans for it, the V6 would probably be plenty.

Punk'd
02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
We have a V6 model, I believe they are around 210 horsepower. Not much, but they are a quick little car for a V6. I wish it was a V8, but insurance would be hell. I'll deal with the underpowered V6

Depending on your plans for it, the V6 would probably be plenty.

Is your V6 auto or manual?
How do you like it?

CannondaleRider
02-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Its an Automatic, unfortunatly.

Over all, I like the car. Just a little underpowered, and theres quite a bit of lag in the throttle response. Never pushed the car hard, but as far as I can tell, it handles well. Real easy to drive.

catfishing
02-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Its an older one 1994. We was in the same position V8 or V6.We got the V6. It only has 101204 miles on it now.We have never done any motor work.Only regular maintenance.I think v6 is the way to go.You will keep your foot off the gas pedal more often.
Payments cheaper.Less money in the gas tank.Maintenance cheaper.Insurance cheaper.The looks,no different than the V8.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9412/p10100049rt.jpg (http://images hack.us)

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/759/p10100058yd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

red2004 TRX450R
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
your only 16 once get the V-8.
if you can have eneff common sense to ride a 450r safely you can will have commons sense to handle a V-8 rusttang.

when i was 16 a had 2 V-8 cars and one would blow the doors off any new stock mustang.

Punk'd
02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I think im going to put down like 10k and pay the rest monthly on a used or new GT

hotrodhonda400
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
v8's are cool and all BUT 16.....you want the v6 for insurance reasons. it's no fun having somthing and not being able to enjoy it because of money. The v 6 is no slouch anyway it's 210 hp and around 260 lb ft of tourqe the auto is also a 5 speed auto so you sqeeze the most out of it.

02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
what hapends when a 16 yr old gets a mustang.....

FourFiftyFour
02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I got a V8 Tundra at the age of 16. I didnt have any problems controlling it or anything (I got one speeding ticket, but I would have gotten it regardless of what I was driving) If you can afford the V8 I dont see a problem in getting a V8. Me, myself personally I wouldnt want a V6. Of course I grew up with drag racing, karts, and driving all sorts of stuff so I wasnt just an average 16 yr old starting to learn how to drive.

Id rather have a truck anyday though, can haul a quad or whatever else in the back of it and pull stuff.

Titanium
02-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
what hapends when a 16 yr old gets a mustang.....

Wat a waste of a good car:( :grr: :mad:

Punk'd
02-20-2006, 08:12 PM
How much would insurance run me for a 2005 Mustang GT (V8) or a (V6)?

02-21-2006, 09:19 PM
dono about insurance....

But I just found a sweet. 98??? or so, mustang V6 standard saleen. needs some minor work,( fiberglass work on hood, some new tires, headlight bulbs) for 800$.

it is sliver, has 4 diffrent wheels and tires on it... lol, dono why...

I know the guy who owns it, he is a chevy guy, it was in his way plowing snow so He kinda pushed it in the snow bank. he said for around 800$ I could have it.

Prolly going to pick it up sometime this week if there isnt to much majorly worng with it....

Hopefully it wont end up like my last mustang....

ShiftFMX
02-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Saleen did V6's!!? :eek2:

Thats....odd :rolleyes:

Butters
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Saleen did V6's!!? :eek2:

Thats....odd :rolleyes:

no, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a saleen body kit put on it.

04TRX400EX
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
V8 Mustangs are definitely a hell of a lot faster than the V6's and handle better too (different/stiffer springs, sway bars, etc.). But, considering you're 16, insurance is going to be absolutely ridiculous until your 25 - I know this for a fact, a V6 coupe is considered just a 2-door coupe, not a real sports car. A GT is considered a sports car. Insurance companies do not like 16 year old boys with sports cars. Unless you have a lot of $$ to spend on insurance, get a V6. I have driven both and the V6 isn't that bad. I had a buddy with an '01 V6 5-speed and he had a chip in it, exhaust, intake, and a few other things and it was actually pretty fast. Ultimately, I am not trying to discount your skills as a driver but you really don't need a car like a GT Mustang at 16. You'll probably just get yourself into trouble. Good luck.

My baby...

04TRX400EX
02-21-2006, 10:16 PM
One more ...

Punk'd
02-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
V8 Mustangs are definitely a hell of a lot faster than the V6's and handle better too (different/stiffer springs, sway bars, etc.). But, considering you're 16, insurance is going to be absolutely ridiculous until your 25 - I know this for a fact, a V6 coupe is considered just a 2-door coupe, not a real sports car. A GT is considered a sports car. Insurance companies do not like 16 year old boys with sports cars. Unless you have a lot of $$ to spend on insurance, get a V6. I have driven both and the V6 isn't that bad. I had a buddy with an '01 V6 5-speed and he had a chip in it, exhaust, intake, and a few other things and it was actually pretty fast. Ultimately, I am not trying to discount your skills as a driver but you really don't need a car like a GT Mustang at 16. You'll probably just get yourself into trouble. Good luck.

My baby...

I understand totally, but I dont want a wimpy car. Although I hear the new v6's are still nice.

Would a 5-speed V6 suck? I dont want something that looks good and preformes totally opposite you know?

I think my parents will be paying some of my insurance because im buying the car. So hopefully I can find a nice used GT or V6.

BTW: Sick car bro:eek:

wheeltrax
02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Well if your trying to save money but want looks the v6 would be the way to go. I have the same 4.0L in my truck and it is pretty peppy for a 6 cylinder. If i was for the power, I would definately get the v8. Either way, you will have a nice looking car.

04TRX400EX
02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
I understand totally, but I dont want a wimpy car. Although I hear the new v6's are still nice.

Would a 5-speed V6 suck? I dont want something that looks good and preformes totally opposite you know?

I think my parents will be paying some of my insurance because im buying the car. So hopefully I can find a nice used GT or V6.

A V6 5-speed wouldn't suck at all. The V6, as mentioned, is a pretty good performer. It is more powerful than the previous V6's and will definitely get the job done. I have the 3.0 V6 in my Ranger actually, and it's a little underpowered, but still goes just fine, and I know the 4.0 is a lot better. Even an automatic V6 or GT is sweet. They have improved the perfomance of the automatics so much that there isn't a real advantage of the 5-speed, except for getting to have fun shifting. I'll tell you though, 5-speeds get to be a pain in the butt in traffic.

Punk'd
02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Awesome, I'll most likely get a V6 then.

A V8 can wait until im older and I can pay all my my insurance. Id feel bad if my parents had to.

I believe used 05 V6's are going for around 18-19k. So could I expect around 16-17k in the next year or so?

04TRX400EX
02-22-2006, 12:19 AM
V6's go for about $17-23k depending on options (transmission, interior, stereo, etc.). I would expect for prices to start going down over the next year. A V6 with low miles in good condition will probably be about $15-18k I would say, which should be pretty reasonable for a first car.

If you get a V6, just do some things to it. Put some nice wheels and tires on it, lower it a little bit, add an ehaust (I recommend JBA) and air intake (K&N), and you'll have a fun little car. If you really want to get crazy, supercharge it. It may sound weird to supercharge a V6 Mustang, but it will make the thing be a real sleeper when everyone thinks you just have a basic V6. Have some fun with it. If you ever have any specific questions about anything Mustang, or Ford for that matter, related, let me know.

Danny

MOFO
02-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Butters
no, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a saleen body kit put on it.

Exactly - its a rice boys car. Saleen did not build V6 cars. I find it so funny when kids try to make cars look like another model by adding body molding and decals...

Matt37
02-22-2006, 04:40 AM
I would without a doubt get the V8.

The V8 is slow enough in the Mustang, I could not even imagine the V6.

Probably couldnt get out of the way of its own shadow.

Regular_Joe
02-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Your young and things change a lot from 16-21 ..... IMO the last thing you want is a car payment for the next 5 yrs. Plus you'll need full coverage w/ the insurance for that whole time too.

A kid here at work (19) just got a used GT convertible for about 12k. His insurance was about $4k per yr. It was cool and all but w/ just starting college, the car payment, and the insurance every month it was crazy. He sold it in 2 months .....

I'd get a $2k beater car for the first year. Chances are you'll wreak it anyway. Seriously, it just happens. Plus as all your buddies are w/ you and your clowning around you don't care if some dumbass spills a soda or whatnot. Its just the reality of the situation. Then you can take the rest of your paychecks and actually have money to spend on other things like the hotties.

02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Exactly - its a rice boys car. Saleen did not build V6 cars. I find it so funny when kids try to make cars look like another model by adding body molding and decals...

ya this is definetly just a sticker. the motor is a 3.8L? I think....
offered him 500today, he said mabie try coming back tomarow and wave 600$ in his face, his daughter wants the car....

watts16
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
V6's go for about $17-23k depending on options (transmission, interior, stereo, etc.). I would expect for prices to start going down over the next year. A V6 with low miles in good condition will probably be about $15-18k I would say, which should be pretty reasonable for a first car.

If you get a V6, just do some things to it. Put some nice wheels and tires on it, lower it a little bit, add an ehaust (I recommend JBA) and air intake (K&N), and you'll have a fun little car. If you really want to get crazy, supercharge it. It may sound weird to supercharge a V6 Mustang, but it will make the thing be a real sleeper when everyone thinks you just have a basic V6. Have some fun with it. If you ever have any specific questions about anything Mustang, or Ford for that matter, related, let me know.

Danny

Ya man I love seeing the V6 mustangs that are supercharged at the drag strip beat a V8 lol. You could make it a sleeper.

vinson581
02-24-2006, 10:00 AM
i was in the same pickle as you. i test drove both and then made my choice...the 6 just wasnt that fast, but the other problem was to get a 05 gt was a 9 mounth wait, so i fount a 2004 GT 5spd fully loaded with no miles and a great warrentie from a dealer. i love the car, and now its gettin more parts on it everyday i cant complain...

i once thought about a 6, then i got the 8 cause i wanted the power...and now im putting a Kenne Bell supercharger on it, power is a personal preference. i have a friend with a 04 cobra with 500rwhp and its not enough for him, so basically it comes down to what someone wants, also im 18 and i pay 2400$ a year, full coverage 250$ dedutable

but be warned with the 8 your going to want to test it, so far so good for me knock on wood. ive done some pretty high speed stuff vs. alot of compareable cars, just dont wrap it around a tree, know your limits and the limits of the car

but seriously look for a 1999-2004 GT they are fast, and are going to be had for cheaper.

Titanium
02-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I drove a 2001 Mustang with a v6 in it las nite and it had dual exhaust on it and i think that all it had. but it had really piss poor throttle response i thot. and it was really hard to chirp em it seemed like. so if i were u and i got the v6 i'd be lookinin to a turbo or supercharger or sumthin cus stock is jus not the way to go if ur lookin for power.

Syrus
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a 05 Gt Mustang, red, Bullet rims, sport package... pretty much every upgrade they offerd i bought. Im 18 and i think i have a picture of it when i picked it up at the dealership. Its in my garage for storage during the winter right now but ill take more picture later. I only got 4 month of driving till the snow dropped :( Cant wait for spring :D

Syrus
02-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Heres some more. Thats also my '89 GT Cobra beside it :D my older baby MINT.

Syrus
02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I have lots of other pictures but apparently i cant post them cause the file size is to big. Pm me if u want any others.

By the way, its a quick car. I got my exhaust done. New cobra exhaust. WoW does it ever sound sick. First gear is real low all torque gear, and once u hit 2nd n 3rd your sucked into the seat n hangin on lol. Handles like a go-cart. If you can be responsible with it, and have the cash, id say buy it. But then again the money u can put down for one of those you could go buy a cheaper car and mod the **** outa it and rape anything around. I know moded civics can run quicker than you would think, and also cheap on insurance. Somethin to think about.

Butters
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Matt37
I would without a doubt get the V8.

The V8 is slow enough in the Mustang, I could not even imagine the V6.

Probably couldnt get out of the way of its own shadow.

yeah to bad not everything can be a 10 second car.

Syrus
03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
How is the v8 stang slow, have u even driven one before. Wow i love these kids that talk crap when they dont even know what crap thier talking about lol.

If your seriously think any v8 is slow, give your head a shake, your brain is stuck to the left side.

Oh and by the way...
2006 Pontiac GTO - Power: 298 kW , 400 HP SAE @ 5,200 rpm; 400 ft lb , 542 Nm @ 4,000 rpm 1/4 mile; 13.4s

2006 Mustang - 4.6L V8; Horsepower @ RPM 300@5750; Torque @ RPM 320@4500; 1/4 mile 13.8s

For a car that has 100hp less. and only .4 seconds behind, i think thats a pretty quick v8. Weight has something to do with it. But a simple mod like Airfilter & Exhaust will have that thing beat. Add supercharger or turbo, and say BUH bye.