PDA

View Full Version : Bummer on my 300ex

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, pulled the clutch cover off the 02 300ex last night getting ready to put the stroker crank and new big bore cylinder on it....

I got my head back with +2 titanium valves, ported, polished, etc. I really thought I was ready to go. WRONG!

Anyway, took the cover off and what did I find? A nice pile of metal. Stuck a magnet in there and came out with what looked like a few teeth off of a gear. Time to tear the tranny apart...

Just another thing I wasnt expecting...

Oh well. The saga continues.... :ermm:

blasteracer24
02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I hate when that happens you get everythign together then you have to put even mor emoney into it.

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Especially when you werent planning on replacing/rebuilding a gear box!!! This is EXACTLY why I got out of two strokes... Oh well, just another day in paradise.

TarheelRedRider
02-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Dont feel bad I just got my motor back together and started it Thursday and it smoked like a train. Like a dummy I used a used cylinder. The guy told me it was in good shape, wrong!. Got it all tore back down today and just got back from the machine shop so it will now be another week before mine will be back together and ready to ride and test some of the new mods Im tring. I hate waiting and redoing things. :mad:

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Amen brother.

Cody_300ex
02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
My head is 3 weeks and counting overdue from TC racing, havent rode since late october.:ermm:

hondapro300EX
02-18-2006, 05:28 PM
same here i haven't rode since June. My fault thought. Messed with the engine. Wish i could blame on somebody else/:D

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex
My head is 3 weeks and counting overdue from TC racing, havent rode since late october.:ermm:

Yeah Cody, I can relate. Good builders are so far behind right now they cant see the light of day. I talked to a couple buddies this week that are seasoned pro builders and they have at least 40-50 450R and YFZ heads in line at their shops right now.

I tore apart the tranny and 2nd and 3rd gears are spent. By the looks of this tranny, I have NO IDEA how this thing was even shifting when I tore it apart. Got new gears ordered today and will hopefully be in Tuesday.

Having half the teeth off of second and third gears in the gearbox and it still shifting and running under the load of a full tilt 330 is only a testament to the durability of the 300ex. I GUARANTEE that if my 450R had gears that looked like this, it wouldnt still have ran so good.

God Bless the 300ex!!!

02-18-2006, 08:58 PM
i blew my 250x all to $hit and it took a year to get it back.but the fealing of a new top end is worth the wait,that just makes that first ride sooooooo much better!!!