PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axel

dodgeram14jr
02-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Can someone give me directions on how to disassemble my rear axel to replace the rear bearings. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

zeus54
02-18-2006, 08:35 AM
before i even raise it off the ground i break loose the locknuts on the sprocket side. then i jack it up remove the brake caliper and then the wheel's,you don't have to take the right wheel off i find it easier to work with if it's not in the way,but you will need to remove the left wheel hub. loosen the top 4 carrier bolts and remove them inspect for wear and tear then loosen the chain adjuster nut all the way. go back to the axle nuts and remove them, at this point i take a dead blow hammer or a soft headed hammer and tap the axle through the carrier taking car not to damage the end of the axle you can use a block of 2x4 wood to brace onto the axle so if you miss you won't f*** up the threads or anything else, it will probably be kind of stubborn at first then it should slide right through and out. then your carrier should have come out with the axle if not and it is still in the swingarm with all the bolts removed look at your swingarm skidplate and see if the bolts for that are petruding through the bottom of the carrier if so back off the skid plate bolts (i had this problem with an ac racing skid plate and the bolts that came with it were to long and would bottom out against the bearing carrier) if no problems getting it out then continue with the carrier next. remove the outer seals you can use a flat head screwdriver take care not to scar the carrier. put the carrier on something flat standing on it's end use a long punch and and hammer to knock the bearing out of the other side there will also be a spacer between the bearings then clean everything and start the reassembly process

dodgeram14jr
02-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info

zeus54
02-18-2006, 08:44 AM
no problem its not hard but take care when doing it and also when you install the new bearings use a bearing driver if you have one

dodgeram14jr
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
which way do the locknuts turn?

IrideMHSC
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
if i remember right they turn counter clockwise to come off