PDA

View Full Version : Stripped threads-oil filt. cover

acw592
02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
My long bolt on the oil filter cover(the one towards the front of the quad) is stripped and is just barely hanging on. It was that way when I bought it and you can't hardly tighten that front bolt. Is there enough material around that to drill it out larger and put in a heli coil? It almost doesn't look like it. Has anyone on here fixed that before?

Lethalhonda2
02-17-2006, 07:16 PM
I had the same problem with my motor. The guy had put a shorter bolt in by mistake, so he stripped the outer threads.I found a longer bolt than the original so it would reach the good threads.Its worked fine since.I'll look up the size and part number for you, just make sure the one thats in there is the right length!

acw592
02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
The front one (stripped) is the original bolt. cap head, painted the same as the engine case. The short one has been replaced though (back bolt). It is a rusty allen head. I had wondered about running a thread chaser in there and getting a little longer than stock bolt.

Lethalhonda2
02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
If the case has been off, alot of times they get mixed up with the oil filter cover ones (they look alike).The original is 6X75mm and the one that I used is a 6X80mm part # 90004-GHB-790. This screw looks just like the original just a little bit longer.Try that it should work depending on how bad your threads are.Just be careful I think I put a small washer on it so it didnt bottom out.