PDA

View Full Version : guaranteed holeshot or engine trouble?

balls2da-wall
02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
ok I race XC and have a CRF450EX hybrid and was wanting to do the following:

Run a Rekluse auto clutch and jet the carb so that when I kick it over in first gear I can have the throttle held wide open so as soon as it fires im off and running.

Question is will it affect anything bad in anyway?

2004exrider
02-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I guarentee that the engine wears out much faster. It needs to build up oil pressure before its just held wide open.

Jimmy

balls2da-wall
02-19-2006, 03:06 PM
So your telling me it builds up enough oil pressure going from closed to open im a split second as opposed to being wide open when it starts up?

bwamos
02-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Nah.
But if it kicks back it's gonna hurt like a mofo. (broken leg kind of hurt), unless the crf has some anti-kick back mechanism.

If you've already warmed the motor up, it should fire up right away unless you're jetted incorrectly.

If your starting at full throttle.. the only jet that matters is the main jet, and it "should" be set correctly anyway. The pilot circuit isn't doing crap at full throttle.

balls2da-wall
02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I remember bill ballance used to do this with his 250R...

prepracing
02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I believe most every Pro rider runnning GNCC's on hondas are running the rekluse or other auto clutches, I know the fourstroke tech team did last year, 2 hondas and 1 yamaha. And as far as oil pressure, its not like your doing this on a cold engine...its all ready gonna be warmed up to operating temp when your doing this so thats not even an issue. I would go for it, I ride with a couple people that ran 450's last year in GNCC that have the rekluse and their awesome !

2004exrider
02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
My mistake, i was thinking the engine was cold.

Jimmy

400exrules
02-19-2006, 07:05 PM
you could prob do it, but yah......no way in hell i would even think of doing it if the engine was cold lol

bradrenea
02-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
I remember bill ballance used to do this with his 250R...

That is on a two stroke, doesn't have an oil pump to build pressure (or engine oil at all for that matter)

Should not hurt anything though, if the quad had just been turned off there will still be oil on all of the engine's internals. Its not like it has been sitting for a week and your going to fire it up at WOT.