PDA

View Full Version : Getting CDL?

TheX1992
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know the way to get a CDL? I know you can take classes at the college here, or have a company train you. But can I simply walk into the DMV and take a test like I would with a regular car/motorcycle license?

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes you can. But you have to have a tractor and trailer to get take the road test they do not provide one. What kind of endorsments are you getting?

sly400ex
02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Just go pick up a CDL study giude from a DL facility, then you can take a test to get your permit.

I know the company SWIFT actaully teaches you to drive as well as paying you too.

TheX1992
02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Well I plan on getting as much as I can. I would like to get my job back with SYSCO, but I want to drive and do this as a career. I'm on good terms with my ex-construction boss, and he owns an 18 wheeler, so maybe I can talk him into something.

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Why would you want to drive a truck for a living? I am just wondering not flaming

Giz400ex
02-17-2006, 05:53 PM
If you got the money, your better off going to a CDL driving school. You take the test, they provide a TT for you to practice and teach you the right way to do things versus learning the wrong way and by going right to TT, you can almost drive anything except doubles and hazmat (might as well go for the hazmat endorsement also). Good luck:D

TheX1992
02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Why would you want to drive a truck for a living? I am just wondering not flaming

The job I'm going for isn't the over-the-road type that you're probaly thinking of. SYSCO has me at work at 3am (give or take an hour) and home whenever the load is empty (anywhere from 11am to 5pm). I would drive a 3 axle semi and deliver food to restaurants,bars, etc. I did it last summer, as a helper though. Great money and you're home nights by 5 and weekends.

catfishing
02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Go get your study giude from the highway dept.Study it i mean all of it.I got mine and they even asked questions about driving a vehicle hauling passengers.I wasnt even trying for that kind of license.This is in South Carolina.You do need to study all of the guide not just a skim thru.For your permit.When you go get your license get all the endorsments you can.If you dont get them at the time you get your license,you will have to take the test over to get more endorsements.

bulkdriverlp
02-17-2006, 10:47 PM
former swift driver here. i got my start by enrolling in a truck driving school in detroit,mi. took the 2 week course and passed the final no problem. drove for swift for 2 years, got some experience. walked on to a job local driving propane bobtail truck, because i already had my cdl A with hazmat endorsement from swift. got another job driving another propane truck for another company. now i drive a regular ford stake truck and occasionally a front-load garbage truck. i now have a CDL A with C,X,T endorsements and 6yrs experience. just go to a school and pay your dues.

ieatglue
02-17-2006, 11:32 PM
if you have a truck availble then go take the written tests and practice a bit and take the driving tests. thats what i did and passed no problem. theres no sense in paying for school to get something you don't have to pay for. i run heavy equipment now and occasionally drive the semi to move equipment. just don't be drinking and driving with a CDL, a big no no in any state.

94F450SD
02-18-2006, 12:11 AM
go get the book and read read read and when youre done read some more.i got my class B permit.i went formy class A but failed,then went and tryed for the B andgot it.i never read the book though.ive been workin on and driving trucks since i was 16 so i knew enough to get my permit.and after you get yourpermit make sure you go and get the DOT medical card from your doctor.you cannot drive with out even on a learners permit.no drinking and driving,no illegal drugs cuz dot does do spot drug tests if they stop you.you will loseyour license for it.any tickets you get while driving your car also go against your CDL.get X amount of speeding tickets in Xamount of time in your car and you lose your CDL for a certain amount of time,get stopped for drunk driving in yourcar,kiss the CDL goodbye.

AtvMxRider
02-18-2006, 09:14 AM
I have never heard of DOT doing a random drug test. It is usually your company that does them and that comes from the insurance company. You won't lose your cdl for drunk driving but the legal limit is lower than with a regular licsence. You don't have to have a medical card with a learners either but you cannot get yoru regular cdl without it.

ieatglue
02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
i have seen DOT do random drug test cuz i had one pulled on me. you can get the CDL without the DOT medical card you just can't drive for any companys that require log books. if you are doing a short route delivering things like sysco does and your on the clock then you might not need the medical card, but that is determined by them.

catfishing
02-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Not in the state of South Carolina.You have to have the dot medical card.You think they will give you a cdl license if you cant pass the physical?If you get caught drinking and driving with a cdl you will loose your license.You could only drink one beer and drive. If caught your license is gone.Medicine is the same if it says do not drive or operate machinery while useing.A cdl license is a lot different than a regular license.

94F450SD
02-18-2006, 10:06 PM
in massachusetts no medical card no driving even with a permit.and cdl laws are supposed to be the same in every state