PDA

View Full Version : 330ex trails

Honda TRX250ex
02-17-2006, 04:27 PM
how good do 330ex do on trail riding? (with suspension mods)

ontarioracer#33
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
in my opion 330exs are awsome at whatever you want they can make great race quads or just great trail quads

Honda TRX250ex
02-17-2006, 04:40 PM
im just looking for a fast trial quad. I dout im gonna be able to race :( because i just dont have the money or a way of getting there. And i don't want to get a 400ex because i wont have enough money to mod it out.

Is it worth it for fast trail riding?

humblesquirel21
02-17-2006, 04:56 PM
i have been told that its best to through in high comp exhaust cam suspension and a bunch of other goodies on a 300 and wait till u can get a bigger quad befor spending 2,500 on your engine maybe even go as far as a port job thats what i decided to do with mine instead of going all the way to 330 its just a ton of money wich i spent on fixing and sprucing instead of hard core engine work just my take on that said i also here that 330s are awsome machines in general and they run great when builkt and tuned right

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 11:39 AM
A 330, done right, will have AT LEAST $1500 in the motor by the time you get the sleeve, piston, gaskets, machining, carb, exhaust, head work (porting, valves, etc). You can put a 330 kit on a stock motor, but it just doesnt make a lot of sense because it cant breathe.

Spend your money on decent suspension, a higher compression piston, all around cam, a little porting, decent exhaust, and go have fun. If youre not racing or riding at a competitive level, most people really don't need the 330.

Boy, is this wierd... Im sitting here with a gearbox full of metal on my 330 and Im giving advice... Am I stupid or what?

Seriously, UNLESS you need the 330 or larger to be competitive in the class youre racing, spend a little money on little stuff you can do yourself, maintain your quad, save what you would spend on higher priced mods, and buy a new one when youre ready. A relatively stock 300ex is just about bullet proof. Why fix what aint broke, right?

Just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.

ontarioracer#33
02-18-2006, 12:31 PM
the 330 will be an awsome trail quad but make sure thats what you want to do because its not to cheap to build a good 330

Honda TRX250ex
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
A 330, done right, will have AT LEAST $1500 in the motor by the time you get the sleeve, piston, gaskets, machining, carb, exhaust, head work (porting, valves, etc). You can put a 330 kit on a stock motor, but it just doesnt make a lot of sense because it cant breathe.

Spend your money on decent suspension, a higher compression piston, all around cam, a little porting, decent exhaust, and go have fun. If youre not racing or riding at a competitive level, most people really don't need the 330.

Boy, is this wierd... Im sitting here with a gearbox full of metal on my 330 and Im giving advice... Am I stupid or what?

Seriously, UNLESS you need the 330 or larger to be competitive in the class youre racing, spend a little money on little stuff you can do yourself, maintain your quad, save what you would spend on higher priced mods, and buy a new one when youre ready. A relatively stock 300ex is just about bullet proof. Why fix what aint broke, right?

Just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.
I'm gonna need a new tranny soon because my third gear is messed up so i was thinking about just buying a 300ex engine and just doing the 330 kit. I was gonna put a HMF exhaust 400ex carb UNI air filter custom air box and burgard +2 a arms with work shocks.

ontarioracer#33
02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
that sounds like it will be a sweet set up

Honda TRX250ex
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
im gonna redo my frame and make it blue with white 400ex race plastic. Who do you reccomend for port and polish and is it worth it and how much?

chapmanmd
02-18-2006, 05:56 PM
As long as its 1) someone who knows what theyre doing, and 2) can provide flow bench results for the porting, its worth every penny of it. Im not even going to tell you what I have in the head on mine with +2 ti valves, springs, porting, etc. Maybe Bwamos isnt as embarassed as I am for spending what I have on my 330!

Good porting will cost anywhere from $250 on up. I do believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to head work.

bwamos
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Aye, I have about 2k in my motor. It was definatly worth it at the time. The best thing out there then was a Banshee or 400ex. And it kept right up with the piped/cam'd 400ex's. 400ex's cost as much as a year old 450r now days, so it was definatly worth it. THat and I alreays had all of the chassis work done (suspension, etc.)

However if I were to do it again, with the market value of a 3-4 year old 400ex nowdays... I'd part out he aftermarket chassis components, put the stock tires/wheels back on, sell the 300ex, and buy a 400ex and slap on my bars/tires/damper, etc, then slap in a high comp piston and cam, pipe, filter, and call it good. ;) Actually I would buy a 250r. :D

Was a great learning experience though, that I wouldn't trade for anything.

If I were to redo it again, back when I did it, I'd find a 350x motor, and build it up. ;)

Oh and 250r's were about $6000 back then, for a semi decent one. You'd pay up to $15k for one that was fully race ready and in mint comdition.

chapmanmd
02-19-2006, 11:40 AM
See there! A voice of reason!!!

Blue250X
02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I hate to turn this into a pic thread, but do you two have any pics of your 330's??

400exmatt
02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Get the 400ex and get a job 2 buy mods..

2muchquad
02-19-2006, 10:58 PM
330, done right, will have AT LEAST $1500 in the motor by the time you get the sleeve, piston, gaskets, machining, carb, exhaust, head work (porting, valves, etc). You can put a 330 kit on a stock motor, but it just doesnt make a lot of sense because it

only a idiot would pay that kind of money for a 330 kit.if you look around and you can do your own work,it saves a ton of money.lets keep this for what it is,A HOBBY .why pay some clown or shop big bucks for some motor work when if you do race its not gonna pay the bills.just to say its the fastest one in your trails.:) you do not need oversize valves etc.save your money.a .080piston kit and a good exhaust system and rejet and you'll be good to go:D

Honda TRX250ex
02-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
only a idiot would pay that kind of money for a 330 kit.if you look around and you can do your own work,it saves a ton of money.lets keep this for what it is,A HOBBY .why pay some clown or shop big bucks for some motor work when if you do race its not gonna pay the bills.just to say its the fastest one in your trails.:) you do not need oversize valves etc.save your money.a .080piston kit and a good exhaust system and rejet and you'll be good to go:D
I do my own motor work except boring and honing. Im thinking it would cost me around 600 for just the motor.

chapmanmd
02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
To each his own. I built a 300 because I WANT to race sport class in XC and NOT the 450. Im not saving up for anything. I ride it because I want to.

By the way, I do all of my own motor work with the exception of machine work.

bwamos
02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I do all of the labor on my own motors. I as the others have also said.. I leave the boring and port work to the pros with the correct tools and experience.

I spent about 2k on my motor (including the sparks x-4).

So, I'm an idiot. ;) I garauntee there's a HUGE difference between a 330ex with just a bore & piston and one done right.

A 330cc w/o any head work is a dog and limited to about +4 HP. Get it done right, and you can get +14hp.

Now all that being said.. these days, unless you want to race the 350cc class, any 330ex is a waste of money. 296cc would be the way to go, no need for resleeve, will work better with stock porting, and will rev higher.

Sell the 300ex for 2k-3k, and use the other 1.5k to buy a 400ex or z400. ;)

chapmanmd
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I have to agree. If I wasnt running a 350cc dispacement class, I would just do the .080 over and be done with it.

humblesquirel21
02-20-2006, 08:17 PM
To each his own. I built a 300 because I WANT to race sport class in XC and NOT the 450. Im not saving up for anything. I ride it because I want to.

By the way, I do all of my own motor work with the exception of machine work

chapmanmd how comon is that class cause my 300 is just about perfect for it with all my mods (im doin alot more right now i have it striped down) the most i migh have to do is widen out alittle what are a few basic rules nad guidlines

chapmanmd
02-20-2006, 09:36 PM
The 350cc class is more prevalent in GNCC XC than anywhere else. In most racing other than XC, 300+cc quads have to run with the 450's. I use mine for XC racing and woods riding only. Dont think though that it doest flat rip on an open MX track as well.

The 200-300, and Youth Production Classes have a 200cc two stroke, or 300cc displacement limit. If Im not mistaken, only the Youth Production classes in MX run the 300 in 06 at a National Level, however, many if not most local district races will run the class.

I ride the Sport Class (0-350cc) for XC only because I WANT to. Im 42 years old and really dont feel up to flogging a 450 around in the tight stuff anymore. Yeah, I have WAAAAY too much money in my 300, but I love the quad so much that I can live with that.

I do, however, ride my Baldwin built 450 for TT.

humblesquirel21
02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
ha ha thats cool i respect that that exactly the class i wana ride gncc 300-350 bbeing that i have a great little 300 and dont really wana buy another quad and build it yet but would liek to race xc im gona look into that this summer thanx for the info