PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh.. getting "scoped"

Jake250ex
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok, Im sure some of you guys have seen my thread "never eat arbys" where I thought I got food poising from them. Anyway, I described how it made me really sick and that I have been for a while. Well I still am and went back to the doctors today. I told them everything once again and they told me I probably had an ulcer or e-coli. I have a vague idea of what it is and I know it isnt good. The worst news, though, was that I had to get a "scope". If you aren't fimiliar with this, I will try to explain it in a way that I can wihtout this post getting locked. You are given a drug that you have to take to flush out your system (yippy, horrible dihrea) until your doing nothing but pooping pure clear liquid. After that, you go to the surgery center and they stick a tube up your bum. Real far up your bum, about to your stomach :eek:

My friend told me he could do it himself, with the following : laxatives, a vacum hose, and a kodak disposeable camera :huh

Now understand, I dont even like going to the dentist, it makes me real nervous to know my body is in someone elses hands and their free to do what they want at their discression without suffering the consequences themselves. I hear that they are going to sedate me and shove something up my butt and I started cracking up (kind of a "my luck is so bad it humors me" thing) when the doctor was telling me the whole procedure.

Wow, 2006 really hasnt been my year so far :eek2: . Breaking my wrist, my bike and quad have been robbed from me and now this.

Has anyone had one of these?

TheX1992
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
After reading the procedure you are going to have, even I need a drink.

jwick07
02-17-2006, 04:31 PM
10-4 to the drink I'm having one for you too.

When I was a freshman in high school I had to have an emergency apendectmy(sp?) and righ before the wheeled me to the O.R. the doc rolled me on my side snapped on the latex glove squirted some lube on it and shoved it up my arse!!! I was like WTF man why and he said to check for infection. Worst part was my parents and girlfriend were there and I have my butt hanging out with some old dudes finger up it.

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
You won't feel a thing. They put you to sleep and when you wake up you are fine. The worst part about the whole thing is drinking that stuff to clean you out. It is gross. Do not go far from the toilet and get plenty of reading material cause you will be there ALOT:devil:

440racer66
02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
god that must suck

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
god that must suck

Don't worry when you get older you will have one;)

400exrules
02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
my asss is exit only, they would have to hog tie me

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
my asss is exit only, they would have to hog tie me

Well when they put you to sleep you have know idea what they are doing:devil:

Jake250ex
02-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah, i cant say that i am looking forward to MORE explosive diahrea.

I filled my life time quote of that about 2 weeks ago.. and still going strong.

I have it pretty go w/ no medicine, i cant imagine... :eek2:

2004-400ex
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
do you play socom 3 online cuz a while ago a kid was telling me this very story

Jake250ex
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
haha no

I dont think its anything thats real rare. I was gonna have one a long time ago when I thought I was sick but dodged it.

Guy400
02-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Don't worry when you get older you will have one;) Don't lie, it has nothing to do with getting older...it's cause you're gay :D :blah:

JOEX
02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Don't lie, it has nothing to do with getting older...it's cause you're gay :D :blah:
I wonder if Jerry notices the doctor has both hands on his shoulders when giving the test:eek: :devil:

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I wonder if Jerry notices the doctor has both hands on his shoulders when giving the test:eek: :devil:

Like I said you are out so you have no idea what he's doing:eek2:

WhiteYFZ
02-17-2006, 11:01 PM
You won't feel a thing. They put you to sleep and when you wake up you are fine. The worst part about the whole thing is drinking that stuff to clean you out. It is gross. Do not go far from the toilet and get plenty of reading material cause you will be there ALOT:devil:
lmao

Jake250ex
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I just now remembered that my doc said it could be crohns disease or an ulcer :(

I sure hope to god that it is an ulcer. There is no cure for crohns, and symptoms cant be helped but surgery is often required to remove bits and peices of the infected/blocked/bleeding intestine and often patients end up with a colostamy bag.

Sure is funny, hope I go from hoping that its just a cold, to thinking its just a flu, to thinking its food poising or hepatitis, now I hope its and ulcer and not crohns disease. I sure hope this ordeal doesnt end me. I'm a 17 year old kid and dont want to live feeling this way.

ZSK
02-18-2006, 11:29 AM
A "scope" is nothing to worry about. The laxative really is the worst part. Not even the diarrhea but just taking the laxative. Drink plenty of water as recommended and follow the directions your doctor gives you to the T. They apply a general anesthesia and you're out for the whole procedure. You'll wake up groggy, really gassy, and will be really hungry. Best advice is to wait about 2 hours before eating. It sucks, but you won't throw up. The effects of the anesthesia will cause you to lose whatever you ate.

If you end up having Crohns don’t worry. Surgery should not be an option and if it is for your doctor, go to another because you shouldn’t be seeing them. It’s a very controllable disease with the proper medication. I’ve been diagnosed with Crohns for about 3 years, and by coincidence I’ve been racing for 3 years. My first race was about 3 days after my first scope. Everybody’s body reacts different to medications but the two that work best for me are mercapetopurine (6MP) and endocort. If you’re on either say goodbye to alcohol. If you have Crohns say goodbye to the booze anyways. I’m 20 and there is nothing different in my life because I have Crohns, I just eat differently, and stay away from the food that will irritate me while still maintaining proper nutrition. My best advice is to find a doctor that you are comfortable with (I know it’s hard knowing they’ll stick their finger in your rectum) and a doctor who understands your hobbies. Feel free to PM me if need be, I’m one person who won’t make fun of you.

MR.BIG
02-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I had one a couple of years ago when I got really sick from something. The laxative was horrible so make sure your bathroom is close. You won't even know what's going on during the procedure since they give you stuff to knock you out or don't know whats going on. After the procedure you will feel violated though. Your be okay its just embarrasing. Good luck hope you feel better!

Jake250ex
02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
;) thanks ZSK that helps alot.

I was starting to get really worried. Right now, I am still thinking it is a ulcer but I am not ruling out anything. The pain isnt unbearable or anything it just makes everything uncomfortable and things are less enjoyable. Eating usually takes away pain, but I cant keep fixing it that way, I will end up obese.

The thing that bothers me most is the loss of energy. I REALLY hope that it comes back reguardless of what I am dignosed with. I used to be active from 6 AM to 11PM and now all I do is lay around, get on the computer and sleep.

jonc623
02-18-2006, 02:39 PM
hey get the cherry flavor mag citrate it is alot better than the others i had to take that stuff when i had my gall bladder taken out and yes you will get sick from the anisthesia i did anyway ate a few crackers after surgury and about 20 min later everything came up green good luck

Jake250ex
02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
are you guys saying you barf everything up when you wake up?

ZSK
02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
You don't have anything to barf up, your crap it out the day before.:blah:

If you eat right away after the procedure, you'll more than likely hurl. Wait about an hour/two hours afterwards. It's just the anesthesia wearing off. I always fall asleep when I get home and eat when I wake up.

AtvMxRider
02-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
You don't have anything to barf up, your crap it out the day before.:blah:

If you eat right away after the procedure, you'll more than likely hurl. Wait about an hour/two hours afterwards. It's just the anesthesia wearing off. I always fall asleep when I get home and eat when I wake up.

When I got out of mine I was starving so I stopped at Sub_way and got a sandwich and a Mt. Dew to eat when I got home. Well I guess I drank the Mt. Dew alittle too fast and told my to pull over and I puked and after that I was great:devil:

Quad18star
02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Been there , done that man . It's not the most pleasant thing to have done , but it can really help you and save you life . Like the others have said , the worst part about it , is the stuff you have to trick but if you take it with Powerade , it helps to kill the aweful taste . I have Crohn's also , so having a scope done is a routine thing .

About the Crohn's , if you have any questions just ask ... I've been living with it all my life and was only first diagnosed when I was 10 , but my parents swear I've had it since I was a kid ( ie 10 months of straight crying when I was born) . I won't lie to you , Crohn's is a pretty crappy disease ... litterally . LOL. There is no cure but meds help to control it . I have it pretty severely and have had a few operations cuz of it . Like I said , if you got any questions just ask away ... I can tell about every procedure out there related to Crohn's .

ZSK
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Can you still drink on your meds Greg?

Quad18star
02-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Can you still drink on your meds Greg?

I'm not supposed to . When i was on prednisone ( steroid) I didn't . I was on Pentasa and did . Now I'm on Methotrexate and Remicade and don't drink at all .... affects the liver too much and I can really feel it the next morning ( ie liver is sore)

Jake250ex
02-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I am on the good ole medical grtade laxative right now, have been for an hour and I have 2 doses in me. It hasnt done anything :ermm: which kinda scares me, because Im afraid its gonna kick in and I will lift myself off the toilet by means of dihrea propulsion.

I am thinking about having someone write "insert scope here" on my backside to mess with the doctors :D

It sucks today thought because I cant eat anything solid, and it hurts alot worse when I dont eat anything. My worst fear is going tomorrow and hearing once again that nothing is wrong with me. I swear to god if I hear that again im gonna explode. I know when Im healthy and I know when I'm not, I can tell something definitely isnt right. Maybe its just me, or I might have something else but does what you guys have affect you mentally also? I am not trying to sound like a weirdo or anything but I have just felt really depressed ever since this started. Maybe its becuase I havent been able to get out and do anything, but at times I feel like I am going to go crazy. Its like having hypersensitivity, everything just has a really big impact on you emotianally. To me, that is worst thing of it all. Id rather my stomach hurt even worse but just be able to be happy again.

Quad18star
02-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
I am on the good ole medical grtade laxative right now, have been for an hour and I have 2 doses in me. It hasnt done anything :ermm: which kinda scares me, because Im afraid its gonna kick in and I will lift myself off the toilet by means of dihrea propulsion.

I am thinking about having someone write "insert scope here" on my backside to mess with the doctors :D

It sucks today thought because I cant eat anything solid, and it hurts alot worse when I dont eat anything. My worst fear is going tomorrow and hearing once again that nothing is wrong with me. I swear to god if I hear that again im gonna explode. I know when Im healthy and I know when I'm not, I can tell something definitely isnt right. Maybe its just me, or I might have something else but does what you guys have affect you mentally also? I am not trying to sound like a weirdo or anything but I have just felt really depressed ever since this started. Maybe its becuase I havent been able to get out and do anything, but at times I feel like I am going to go crazy. Its like having hypersensitivity, everything just has a really big impact on you emotianally. To me, that is worst thing of it all. Id rather my stomach hurt even worse but just be able to be happy again.

Yeah when I was younger it really affected me mentally ...but only because I didn't feel like one of the other kids ... not being healthy , being thin and stuff . My lowest weight I ever hit was about 80 pounds ... that's when they diagnosed me . It takes it's toll on you mentally , but over time it goes away .... you learn to live with it cuz there's nothing really that you can do . Don't stress over it .... stress is one of the major things known to cause flare-ups ( ie causes the disease to be more active than usual) .

Another thing .... don't think that you are the only person that has this disease . I thought I was the only one .... then I found out there's a whole lot of people with it . It's one of the fastest growing diseases out there , especially here in north america ... researchers believe it has something to do with our diet because people living in countries where they eat more natural foods ( china , korea, etc) aren't affected nearly as much as we are . I eat basically anything I want , but I've learned to stay away of things with seeds and nuts ... things like raspberries, sesemee seeds (?) , peanuts or any kind of nuts etc .

It ain't a fun thing to have , and I hope you don't have it ... but if the results come back saying you do , don't think it's the end of the world . Look it up on the web or ask your doctor for books about it ... they can really help you out . I have probably one of the worst cases of it .... had 4 surgeries for it and spent months in the hospital .... yet I'm still alive and kickin' . It hasn't stopped me from going out and doing what I love ... I still ride quads and raced , I still go out with friends and party and drink occasionally , none of my girlfriends ever had a problem with it , they were all very supportive and most of all , I'm living my life better now knowing what I have , than when I didn't have a clue what was wrong .

Like I said earlier , if you got any questions , fire away ... I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge .

Quad18star
02-19-2006, 09:48 AM
When I got out of mine I was starving so I stopped at Sub_way and got a sandwich and a Mt. Dew to eat when I got home. Well I guess I drank the Mt. Dew alittle too fast and told my to pull over and I puked and after that I was great:devil:

I did that with a McD's Big Mac . I was so hungry after it all that I stopped and grabbed a burger ... MISTAKE . Halfway home I felt it turning in my stomach .... pulled over on the side of the road and opened my door and let it all come out . Live and learn !! Now I go home after it's done ... sleep for a few hours and then chow down . :devil:

Jake250ex
02-19-2006, 11:46 AM
0-6 doses of laxative = nothing

7th dose = :eek:

Harvey
02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
be sure and go for the sedative, I did it without and it hurt like hell!!

Jake250ex
02-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Wow, had it done yesterday and there is no way possible it could have gone any worse than it did. The laxative was nothing bad at all. I went in to the surgical center and the surgeon came back and told me not only was I getting the colonoscipy, but they were also putting a tube down my throat. :eek:

Anway, to make a long story short I woke up feeling like I was in another world. I jumped out of my bed and RAN to the bathroom, then when I did go it was nothing but blood and mucous and was extremely painful. That was absolutely nothing compared to what happenend next. I went home and couldnt sleep, I just tossed and turned and felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. At the same time, I had an anxiety attack, an allergic reaction and they overdoesed me on the anasthetics. I couldnt sit still so I was pacing around my house and eventually passed out. My mom called an ambulance and they showed up and took my pulse after I had calmed down alot and it was 140. It is usually around 80 at rest. It was the worst I have ever felt in my life and I was so scared that I was going to die that I was sure of it. I went to the hospital and the guy told me I had a paradoxical reaction. So far, I have been given a paper by every doctor that I have been to saying that all my symptoms, and my reaction were caused from stress, anxiety and depression. :huh I didnt think or feel I was stressed but I looked at the symptoms list (shanking, fluttering heartbeat, nasuea, dihrea) and it explained everything I had to a T. I was also still scared and shaking all day yesterday after the attack worried that it would come back. I didnt sleep at all last night and I was so tired I couldnt even hold my head up. :( I really hope someone would just give me a perscriptoin for this so this chapter in my life could be over with.

Quad18star
02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
That's pretty crappy man . I once had a really hard time waking up from the anasthetic .. they had to give me some meds to kick me out of it ..... after that I had a really bad reaction to a pain med called Stemityl ( given after surgery) . I couldn't control my neck muscles and litterally tried turning my head right around like in the movie Exercist ... the reation lasted 5 hours ... I was sore for a week afterwards and could barely turn my head . We later found out they give the meds to patients with psychotic behaviors and used as a pain med . :ermm: .

And another story , comming out of surgery once , they hooked me up to a morphine pump ... I could give myself injection or it could give it to me over a certain time . Well ... the doctor who hooked it up calculated my weight wrong and the pump was feeding me too much morphine . I was down to 4 breaths per minute ... practically overdosed and about ready to kick the bucket . They brought in all the Anasthetic doctors ( guys that put you to sleep) and they hit me up with a dose of some drug that they use on people that come in overdosed on drugs . This med litterally wipes out any medication you have in your body . The problem was , they had to do it very slowly and precise because I had just come out of surgery and the pain would have killed me if the doctors would have wiped out all pain meds from my system .

Now when I go for surgeries , I tell them no Stemityl and I'm very precise about telling them my weight . I've had 8 surgeries now and I'm still kickin' . :devil:

jesshamner
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Wow, that sucks to hear. I was just about to post something about the colonoscopy. I was going to tell you to be glad that you were taking it through the bottom end because going throught he throat is horrible. My mom is a nurse in the endoscopy unit. She has described what all goes on and I have even job shadowed a time or two. The colonoscopy is much better in my opinion. It goes in without all the hacking and gagging. I hope everything works out ok for you. Good luck.

Jake250ex
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I honestly cant say that once I was out the throat thing bothered me at all. I was really worried about it but today I experince no soreness or anything of the sort in my throat. What worrried me was that it blocks off your whole esophagus so it also controls your breathing too.

I would have rather had that dont than the colonoscipy. I wasnt worried about it at all but it sure does hurt down there when its time to go. I wish I could forget about everything I had to go through, that completely it was all just one huge horrible ordeal.

Jake250ex
02-21-2006, 11:45 AM
oh yeah, and the medicin I was allergic to was called demoral. they gave it to me because i was shaking uncontrollably.

02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Lol, I feel your pain.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209033&highlight=just+surgery

bansheeguy77
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
sue for hte overdose....ya guaranteed atleast 5k....i had the throat one...didnt really mind it...the drugs were kinda nice haha....but atleast ya didnt wake up during it or anything.....

when i was 16 i basically went thru the same thing...they swore that it was an ulcer....here it was just nerves...paxil really helped me....just get some drugs to calm ya for a bit...and in time it will go away

Quad18star
02-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
oh yeah, and the medicin I was allergic to was called demoral. they gave it to me because i was shaking uncontrollably.

Ya demoral is some good stuff . :D

When I had my leg busted up , before they put me into the helicopter and moved me onto the backboard , the medics gave me a shot of some medication ( i can't remember the name) , they told me it was 10 times stronger than morphine but only lasts about 15 minutes which was the length of the helicopter ride . I can honestly say that when they gave it to me , I did not feel a damn thing . I was laughing and joking around with the medics . I could imagine people getting addicted to drugs like that .. I know if I had some I'd be a happy camper 24/7 :devil: :cool:

Quad18star
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
sue for hte overdose....ya guaranteed atleast 5k....

I could have sued the doctors , but they saved my life performing the surgery ... so we "let it slide"

bigvforcer
02-21-2006, 06:00 PM
That is the problem with the medical field these days. Evryone is sue happy. They made a mistake and furthermore they are human. It happens trust me.

I can only imagine the pain you are going through. Try to think positive man. I am sure it is hard but thinking negatively does nothing but make you more nervous than you already are!

Good Luck

Jake250ex
02-22-2006, 08:04 AM
yeah I know man. I try not to be negative but I keep having these little attacks where my body shakes and my stomach is just killing me. I cant eat or anything and I usually just end up taking some sleeping pills so I can pass out. Its really scary and it is starting to happen more and more and theres really nothing that helps it.

02-22-2006, 06:08 PM
you're gunna have shotgun diareha, the kind you have to build a toilet paper heli pad

culookn
02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
10-4 to the drink I'm having one for you too.

When I was a freshman in high school I had to have an emergency apendectmy(sp?) and righ before the wheeled me to the O.R. the doc rolled me on my side snapped on the latex glove squirted some lube on it and shoved it up my arse!!! I was like WTF man why and he said to check for infection. Worst part was my parents and girlfriend were there and I have my butt hanging out with some old dudes finger up it.

I had to get that done before, but for a nasty stomach infection I had. Then when I broke my back this past summer, I couldnt go #2 b/c the nerves around my spine where the break occured works with your "waste system". So they gave the option of getting a realy bad infection from not going to the bathroom and possibly die from it, orrrrr they can give me something that goes"up there" and forces me to go. So while i sat in the hospital bed decideing what to do, I said to myself "Ill take one for the team".