PDA

View Full Version : Next Mods

rooster_20
02-17-2006, 05:59 AM
I already have a pipe, jet kit, and an air filter. I was wondering what would be the next step performance wise? Some people say bore kit, others say stage 1 cam, and one guy told me the best mod I could do would be to go from a 22'' tire to a 20''. Thanks :D

400exMO
02-17-2006, 07:16 AM
suspension

roundsy
02-17-2006, 10:15 AM
how much money do you have to invest in your next mod?

underpowered
02-17-2006, 10:19 AM
i would say suspension, it does wonders. You can only go so fast on the stock stuff, and if you do much more than a pipe and jet kit you will be pushing the limits of the chassis. get some front shocks and the rear revalved.

After that, i like a 20" tire better than a 22". but that is just my opinion. A cam is great but works much better with a high comp piston.

northwest Texas
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
What I've done with my 400EX is concentrated strictly on the handling/suspension aspect. The motor is adequate for the type of riding I do now. I also decided that more motor did me no good if the chassis beat me to death.

I've added +2+1 arms up front along with Works shocks and I have the wider axle to complement the front. I have a rear shock coming my way soon as well.

Even if you don't go wider, new shocks up front will be your best investment initially. I can do so much more with them than before.

Like you, I haven't decided where to go on the motor yet. I have all summer to make up my mind and I'll start tearing down the engine this winter and mod it then.

IMO, dollar for dollar right now, replace your front shocks. I put on Works G Series for roughly $460 triple rate springs, no rezzies. I'm tickled to death with them.

04'400ex'er
02-17-2006, 11:46 AM
If you want motor performance, a cam would be your next mod, and the stgII hotcam is the best VALUE out there.

rooster_20
02-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the help if i can find some nice shocks for cheap I'll prob get them. But my tires are pretty much shot so thats what I will invest in.