PDA

View Full Version : Modified my oil tank...

CranMan
07-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Well Pingray is too much so...made my own version.

JhallettEX
07-16-2002, 07:47 AM
I don't know about that man. Looks good tho. The resaon that I am a little iffy about it is because now it holds less oil. With the Pingry you can get a quart extra in it. Let us know how it does when you get it mounted and running.

CranMan
07-16-2002, 08:05 AM
Yeah I thought of that, but I taped up one end of each tube, filled them with water, and measured it. It was less than 1 cup. Hopefully the extra cooling will make up for the missing oil...

07-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Dan I don't think it's gonna hold any oil with them big holes in the middle of it...what am I not seeing in the pic???:confused:

Ahhhhhh never mind I see now,,you got tubes running thru the middle of it,,,I gotch ya,,,good idea...how much does this mod cost a good riding buddy??:D :D

CranMan
07-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Rico..the guy who did the welding for me charged me $80. I thought that was pretty high. But the tank is VERY thin and hard to weld. He said it took about 2hrs and alot of frustration. If anyone's interested it would probably be close to $100 by the time you pay for welding, drilling the holes for the tubes, etc. maybe a welder in your area could do it cheaper...

Smoker
07-16-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm all for the do it yourselfer but you can't always do it better and cheaper. I would have shopped around for a more reasonsable welder and see what he would charge you to build a whole aluminum tank that's similiar to a Pingry. I know welders got to eat too but I tried to get my E-series stitched up and this guy tried to tell me $75 for what I knew would take 15 minutes of welding. He tried to tell me an hour and a half of weld and prep. I would weld the damn thing myself if I had a TIG. Got a friend to do it for free. You'll have to get some temperatures to see if what you did is worth it. :p

07-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Well done Cran!I was looking at Pingry's too but they are pricey.Let us know how it works cooling wise.

CranMan
07-16-2002, 04:46 PM
I just wish I had taken some temp readings before the mod. As for the price I paid for the welding, I also thought it was high, but when you need stuff welded and have welders at work, it's so easy to have it done there. Plus I assure you that the tank is extremely thin, and no novice tig welder will be able to do it. The guy who did it for me was a welder for a Navy Seal team for 4 years, so I can tell you he's good at what he does.