PDA

View Full Version : Motor work

Old Head
02-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Just wondering who does their own work and who lets the shop put it together.

zeppelin
02-16-2006, 05:25 AM
the only people that let shops do it for them are pansies
unless your one of theose really fancy buissness dudes and you dont have enough time to work on your bikes and you have a ton of money so you can afford for the shop to price rape you on everything. otherwise do it your self nukka :chinese:

Old Head
02-16-2006, 05:46 AM
I like to do all my own work Except for the bore and hone, don't have the tools for that. I did put an older motor together that a buddy gave me in a box. All i had to go by was the manual and pictures. ran great for 3 years until i got a new quad. Just messing with my baby scares me lol.

02-16-2006, 07:44 AM
I have done both, bought a motor that was done. But I am now taking it apart to change some things. I feel more comftorble knowing that I put every bolt in.

But I dont do bores,, or resleveing. I do hone tho, I just have a little flex hone, takes 5 min.

bwamos
02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
I do all of the assembly/dissasembly work. But, I let the pros do the machining work (bore, porting, os valves, etc..). I also have a good friend that owns a welding shop and he's 100x better than I am, so I let him do all of my welding jobs. ;)

pit/wood
02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I do everything I can,too picky to let anyone work on my machine.I had to take it to the dealer when it was new to have second gear replaced(she grunts real hard)and I had cut my swingarm bolt out 6 months later.I bought a manual .I have a machinist for boring and sleeving.

02-22-2006, 12:26 AM
i dont want to get into my top end and stuff but i do everything else

Flyin-Low
02-22-2006, 04:54 PM
im 14 years old and with a Clymer service manual and a touch of help from my dad i put a new piston and rings in my 400ex... but now that it needs to be bored and the bottom end worked on i gave it to a mechanic cause i had not even the slightest clue as to were to start...

Eddiesanders250
02-22-2006, 06:13 PM
lol Im also 14 do everything myself. I do everything but havent got into the bottom end yet. Put a new head on my R, new clutch I know that bike in and out well everything but the bottom end. havent got that far yet. When i need to do something i can