PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level Suddenly Low

jman400
02-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Ok, today I changed the oil, put the right amount in, checked the dip stick and was at the right level i go out riding for about an hour and a half. Comeback let it cool for 2 hours, and checked the oil, It's barely even registering on the dipstick. Is this normal? I'm baffled because it's never done this with me before. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Old Head
02-16-2006, 04:45 AM
After changing the oil you need to warm the bike for 5 minutes, but under 30 degrees i'd warm it for 10 minutes. Then only let it cool for around 2 minutes and then check your lvl. 2 hours probably gave you a false low lvl reading.

exrider008
02-16-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
After changing the oil you need to warm the bike for 5 minutes, but under 30 degrees i'd warm it for 10 minutes. Then only let it cool for around 2 minutes and then check your lvl. 2 hours probably gave you a false low lvl reading.

what he said, u let t sit for to long u need to check it after its ben sitting for like 2 min not 2 hours.

400exrules
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
when i change the oil i put in a full quart, then i put in about 80% of the 2nd quart, by that time, your only filling the oil tank, so if u check the dipstick it will be well above full. You put the dipstick back in, start it up and let it run for 2-3 mins (not very long), and then check it again, and the oil level should go down as it pumps, or distributes all the oil throughout the crankcase and engine. then finish it off with the rest of the 2 quarts and it should be about perfect.

jman400
02-18-2006, 06:50 AM
That makes sense, I'll have to try that. Sorry I havn't beenable to reply been workin', but thanks for all your help and advice.