PDA

View Full Version : 450R suspension question

04'400ex'er
02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
What aftermarket 400ex shocks will fit a 450R? 06' are the std travel ex shocks ok for std travel R? and +2 ex ok for +2 R? also will 04-05 R a arms fit the 06'? thanks for the help.

Crashmore 22
02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, 400ex shocks will fit on a 450r. As far as the 04 front end on an 06, I read many threads on hear about how it will fit but you have to use 04 spindles. I bought a lonestar dc-4 front end from a 04 for my 06 so I just went ahead and ordered some 04 spindles at the dealer. Saturday i found out that YOU DON'T NEED THE 04 SPINDLES TO MAKE THE FRONT END WORK correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the a arm has a camber adjustment it will work perfect!!!!!!!

Scro
02-16-2006, 06:45 AM
The 400ex shocks will fit, but the geometry will not be correct.

04'400ex'er
02-17-2006, 11:27 AM
What will I have to do to get the correct geometry on 400ex shocks for a 450R ? Can I just send the shocks in to be rebuilt and revalved and fix the problem. Also will +2 ex shocks work if they are revalved and rebuilt and put on +2 R? Im really clueless about the whole suspension scene. I want to buy a set of used shocks on here for an 06' R but there are alot more Ex shocks that come up for sale and I was just going to buy a set of them when I see what I want come up for sale. Basically, theres just alot more to choose from this way and I just want to know if its ok to do it this way. Thanks for the input

02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
What will I have to do to get the correct geometry on 400ex shocks for a 450R ? Can I just send the shocks in to be rebuilt and revalved and fix the problem. Also will +2 ex shocks work if they are revalved and rebuilt and put on +2 R? Im really clueless about the whole suspension scene. I want to buy a set of used shocks on here for an 06' R but there are alot more Ex shocks that come up for sale and I was just going to buy a set of them when I see what I want come up for sale. Basically, theres just alot more to choose from this way and I just want to know if its ok to do it this way. Thanks for the input

ill tell you this much, i was going to convert my elka shocks from my 400 for my 450, and i was better off to just sell my 400 shocks and buy new 450 shocks, hope that helps

DJJ450r
02-17-2006, 11:43 AM
My friend bought 400ex axis and ran them on his 450r with no problems. He shortened the shock body on the rear cause its a little longer and he just converted the fronts to longtravel:devil:

04'400ex'er
02-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Im not gonna be racing mx on shocks, just dune riding and trail riding. I want a shock that will smooth out the ride of the bike and also soak up some decent sized jumps. these dont have to be race shocks. So what if anything will I have to do to +2 ex shocks for +2 R shocks. I will have standard travel. Would I be ok just bolting the shocks up? what will the differences be in lengths? sorry for all these questions I just need to find out if I would be making an expensive mistake or not...

Hawk III
02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
it doesn't work ffs!! will a shock off a ford work on a chevy? well it may fit but it doesn't work...when are you people going to figure out that? you can't change the geometry of the front end...it is what it is ffs. if you can't afford to have the stock shocks redone or buy aftermarket shocks...then do yourself a favor and save up instead of putting on something inferior that doesn't work worth a $hit. people are going to say yeah man i put my banshee shocks on a blaster and it worked awesome....don't buy into it...these people that keep saying how well it works have never had anything that truely work...at least correctly. buy or save up for soemthing that actually fits your model and you will be a happy camper

Crashmore 22
02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
If you are refering to me saying that I bought a front end from an 04 and put it on my 06. Let me start off by saying that the main difference in the year models is the camber, assuming that you MIGHT know what that is, a camber adjustable arm can be easily be adjusted to compensate for the camber honda put in the 06 spindle. Secondly, I consulted with Lonestar and Santo Derisi before I made the purchase. Third if you want to see how well it works, come line up beside me at any Mid South Harescramble and try to keep up!!!!!!!

04'400ex'er
02-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Hawk III
it doesn't work ffs!! will a shock off a ford work on a chevy? well it may fit but it doesn't work...when are you people going to figure out that? you can't change the geometry of the front end...it is what it is ffs. if you can't afford to have the stock shocks redone or buy aftermarket shocks...then do yourself a favor and save up instead of putting on something inferior that doesn't work worth a $hit. people are going to say yeah man i put my banshee shocks on a blaster and it worked awesome....don't buy into it...these people that keep saying how well it works have never had anything that truely work...at least correctly. buy or save up for soemthing that actually fits your model and you will be a happy camper So you are saying if I bought Elkas and wanted to send them back to have them rebuilt and revalved for a different but very similar setup they would tell me to fu*k off? I guess thats what Im gonna do is call them and tell them iv got +2 ex shocks and I want them revalved and rebuilt for a +2 R setup and see what they say...

Lonestar_R
02-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Well I have a set of TCS standard travel fronts that were on +2+1 a-arms on my 250R...I emailed Laz at GT Thunder and he said he can convert them to work on my 06 450R with no problems....he told me it 55 bucks a piece plus parts.....he wasn't sure if he could use the same springs or not, he wasn't sure until he set them up....I think this may answer your questions......now my buddy has a set of Elkas on his 400EX that has stock a-arms...Andy **** from **** tech told him it wouldn't be best to switch them over to his new 06 450R......Its almost a must to have +2 a-arms then they can be setup to work

Pappy
02-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
Its almost a must to have +2 a-arms then they can be setup to work

how can that be? the shock mount on stock and +2 arms are in the same location and the shock angle is the same. as long as the eye to eye length is the same the needed rework would be springs and internal valving no matter what length arm was used.

04'400ex'er
02-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Ok, these replys answer my questions. So on std travel, stock and +2 a arms will take the same length shock, just with different valving and such? Also, would anybody happen to have the shock length for Std. travel +2 on a 400EX and the shock length for a Std. travel +2 on a 450R? I think Im gonna go this route and try and save some money. Thanks for the help guys.

Lonestar_R
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Well Pappy you are right....as long as the eye to eye length is the same it shouldn't matter what shocks they are from.....what is the eye to eye length on stock 450R shocks....I know my TCS's are 16 1/4" eye to eye......

Hawk III
02-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Crashmore 22
If you are refering to me saying that I bought a front end from an 04 and put it on my 06. Let me start off by saying that the main difference in the year models is the camber, assuming that you MIGHT know what that is, a camber adjustable arm can be easily be adjusted to compensate for the camber honda put in the 06 spindle. Secondly, I consulted with Lonestar and Santo Derisi before I made the purchase. Third if you want to see how well it works, come line up beside me at any Mid South Harescramble and try to keep up!!!!!!!

i can't do that on this bike......

http://www.bannedatatvnews.com/images/weatherby/w0.jpg

and i know nothing about caster or camber....especially with this crap setup i have :)