PDA

View Full Version : questions about Lt 250 R's

eastPAex
02-15-2006, 06:35 PM
i have a guy that is willing to trade his 250r for my 300ex, i havent really looked at the 250 yet is there anything i should look for? comon problems? stuff like that?

ThumPIN_450R
02-15-2006, 10:34 PM
check the frame over really good for frame cracks those quads are notorious for that one of the common areas is the front shock mounts but check over every spot that there is two pieces of tube welded together because mine cracked at nearly all of them. On the earlier models like 85 and 86 swingarms were known to break. If you can find a newer model with a powervalve it will have allot more power. Aside from that just give it a good look over like you would any other quad and good luck with it those things are a rush to ride but require tons of maintenence.

Jake250ex
02-16-2006, 11:08 AM
thats odd because i traded my lt250r for a 300ex :)

lt250r is for you if you have alot of money and time to invest in it, and you are serious about performance. they arent real realiable and most are beat to death. its a near miracle to find a nice one that hasnt been tortured and rigged together.

the 300 is a fun reliable trail quad, but slow.

so i would say if you are wanting to go faster and you dont mind trading reliability go for it

i cant tell you how bad it sucks to sit back on a broken machine and watch everyone else ride or just stay home because your quads broke. i had that alot with the 250, never with the 300. i was alot more comfortable on the 300 and could do about anything but never got to ride the lt much to get good on it.

def. look at the frame, especially up near the fron where the a arms mount. check all bearings you can, and check compression. check swingarm for cracks too

MR.BIG
02-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Check the rear shock they are common for blowing!

eastPAex
02-17-2006, 08:41 AM
ok thanks guys

400exrules
02-17-2006, 09:03 AM
They are fast machines, my friend has a nice one that he drag races with. i know for a fact that it will smoke my 400ex. he just did a bunch of work to it over winter for this coming drag season, he put on a drag pipe, +8 chrome swing-arm, ported, etc. Ill try to get some pics of it when i can.
before he did all this work, this thing would run, and outrun stock 450's no prob

here's an old pic: