PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

Blackguywithouta400
09-30-2001, 11:34 PM
Ok so today i did my first oil change on my 02 400ex, since it was my first time i took a look at the service manual to see what bolts i had to drain from, so after doing that i noticed the book saying the bike takes 1.9quarts so i added what i thought was 1.9 quarts it also said that it should fill it up the the hole in the dip stick, well it didnt so i added a full 2 quarts of HP4 10w40, ran the engine and let it sit few and checked it again still about a 1/2 inch from the little hole in the dip stick, so what should i do? Is it full or do i need to add more? I think its full but i just wanted to see if this happend to anyone else.

Leo
10-01-2001, 05:08 AM
let it idle for 4 or 5 minutes, shut it off, then immediately check the oil level...

if you don't let it idle long enough, or blurp the throttle, it won't read right..

mine takes 2 quarts when I change the oil/filter...

Leo

nakomis0
10-01-2001, 07:02 PM
yup and also when taking a dipstick reading , make sure you screw the dipstick all the way on and then check it.

not saying your a dipstick, just I was a dipstick and didn't know how to correctly check my dipstick ... sincerly, Dipstick.:rolleyes:

10-03-2001, 07:11 PM
The manual says NOT to screw the dip stick in when checking!
This will give you a wrong reading.
Now- mine takes exactly 2.2 qts to fill it to the full mark on a complete change. Maybe I got a short dipstick (watch it there) or a long tank.
Bottom line is if your checking per the manual instr. and if it takes 5 qts. then so be it. (it should be consistant every time though)

400exRacerX
10-03-2001, 07:22 PM
007 enough,
you might want to read your manuel a little more careful, if you are putting 2.2 qt.s in at every oil change you are putting too much in. in a oil change you are supposed to put in 1.95 qt. i just put 2 qt. in. in the manuel it says to put 2.2qt. in after motor diassembly not for just a oil change. just trying to help you, no flame intended.

10-06-2001, 07:33 AM
I would also like to point out that it says to fill it to the full level.
Ive already done the rounds on this before and I dont plan to go around again on this.
Ive also leaned it anit that critical.
I believe filling to the full mark is safer or at least better than below the mark.

4punksdad
10-07-2001, 03:47 PM
mine takes exactly 2 quarts.