PDA

View Full Version : Difference of buying smaller tires

Hondaexboy
02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey
Right now I have the stock tires on my 400ex(20 and 23s)

I want to know If I get smaller tires what the difference would be,
would I loose ground clearance, how different does it feel

400exstud
02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
It will have a lower center of gravity, less ground clearance, more torque and lowend power, less top speed. With every advantage there is a disadvantage.

By the way the stock tires are 20's and 22's.

55belair
02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
i run 18's rear and 20's on the front of my ex. my budy runs stock tires on his. we both think mine handles better mostly in the turns. he is going to change his to smaller tires as soon as he wheres his out. that being said. my frame hits in the ruts much more then his does but i can live with that just try to avoid them more i guess. you only loose 1'' frame hieght going to 18's but you can tell the difference. both good and bad. we mostly trail ride, so i can only speak of that. and last but not least i preffer the looks of the smaller tires way better. hope this helps...

Flyin-Low
02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I run 20x11 razr2's on the back of mine and i really couldnt see me having smaller tires... i love having a bit of clearance for the trail riding here, so i guess it depends on riding preferance. i have to admit though, small tires do look pretty gnarly :scary:

Hondaexboy
02-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Im mostly going to ride sand, little trails
I do like the look of the smaller tire
What is the advantage of a lower center of gavity?
I guess smaller tires dont matter a whole lot in the front ground clearence wise
What do you guys think I should get

400exstud
02-15-2006, 07:33 PM
A lower center of gravity prevents the weight bias from trying to flip the machine in sharp corners.

If you have ever ridden a raptor 660 you know what a high center of gravity is. Now take that verses a low center of gravity YFZ. There is a BIG difference.

04'400ex'er
02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Hondaexboy
Im mostly going to ride sand, little trails
I do like the look of the smaller tire
What is the advantage of a lower center of gavity?
I guess smaller tires dont matter a whole lot in the front ground clearence wise
What do you guys think I should get lower center of gravity will give you more stability in corners. but...if you have an aftermarket skid on beware cuz it is so low it hits nearly any rock with the stock tires, with the 18 I couldnt imagine the trails. and I highcenter in the ruts at the dunes with 20s. honestly I see no need other than strictly mx racing for the 18s.

Hondaexboy
02-15-2006, 07:47 PM
i have the stock skid plate on it

josiah400ex
02-16-2006, 08:26 AM
I run 22/11's and it rides great....